Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 25, 2020, 06:46 AM
    Hope they catch the criminal arsonist loon. Another thing that's come from this shooting is formation of a civilian/official review board Announced by the DA, as well as,

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ly/5792731002/

Those changes include:

• Early action warning system to identify officers with red flags.
    • Mandatory commanding officer review of all search warrants.
    • Mandatory body camera counting from two officers of all currency seizures.
    • Mandatory written approval of SWAT matrices before search warrants are executed.
    • Encouraging officers to perform at least two paid hours a week of community service in the communities they serve.
    • Housing credits for officers to live in certain low-income census tracts in the city.
    • Hiring a team of social workers to assist with dispatched runs.
    • Commitment to bargain for increased drug and alcohol testing in the next FOP contract.
    • Overhaul of processes for simultaneous search warrants.
    • Mandatory EMS/paramedic presence for all search warrants.
    • Elimination of the "closed by exception" basis for closing investigations into officer conduct when there is a retirement or resignation.
    • Personnel files: Metro will negotiate with the FOP in 2021 to expand on the records it may maintain in police officers’ personnel files.
    There is more but this seems a good start.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2020, 06:54 AM
    Welcome needed reforms that don't compromise effective law enforcement . Above seems reasonable .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 07:02 AM
    • Mandatory commanding officer review of all search warrants.
    • You do realize that judges already have to approve search warrants?
    • Mandatory body camera counting from two officers of all currency seizures. Mandatory written approval of SWAT matrices before search warrants are executed. Encouraging officers to perform at least two paid hours a week of community service in the communities they serve.
      Those are worth considering.
    • Housing credits for officers to live in certain low-income census tracts in the city. Hiring a team of social workers to assist with dispatched runs.
      $$$ Where is that coming from in an age where liberal dems are wanting to cut police budgets?
    • Commitment to bargain for increased drug and alcohol testing in the next FOP contract. Overhaul of processes for simultaneous search warrants.
      Worth considering though when has alcohol/drug use been a large problem?
    • Mandatory EMS/paramedic presence for all search warrants.
      No need for that and an added expense when liberal dems want to reduce budgets.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2020, 07:46 AM
    meanwhile Sleepy Joe slept . Yes with riots in Louisville and protests across the country . The Quid campaign "put a lid" on his campaign yesterday morning at 9:30 AM . They said it was for debate prep. https://apnews.com/article/election-...f1fc31c857903e
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 07:57 AM
    By "debate prep", do you mean they are preparing the questions which will be asked in the same manner that Hillary Clinton was able to enjoy? 8D
    Expert

Sep 25, 2020, 08:08 AM
    I think getting out of the dufus's way while he talks crazy and does stupid stuff is a great strategy. He's been doing just fine so far.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 08:50 AM
    That's a legit point. Someone needs to tell Trump that if he loses to a dim-wit like Biden, it will be the fault of his big mouth.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2020, 09:01 AM
    Trump knew Chris Wallace was going to be a debate moderator . So Trump did an exclusive interview with Wallace daring him to take his best shot . In contrast Biden is memorizing index cards . The secret is to get under his skin by talking about Hunter corruption . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx8SL0RYRo
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 09:03 AM
    That'll work as long as Biden can remember who Hunter is. 8D
    Expert

Sep 25, 2020, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    • You do realize that judges already have to approve search warrants?

• Those are worth considering.
    • $$$ Where is that coming from in an age where liberal dems are wanting to cut police budgets?
    • Worth considering though when has alcohol/drug use been a large problem?
    • No need for that and an added expense when liberal dems want to reduce budgets.
    The FBI is looking into the search warrant process as part of the investigation, but can't hurt for a supervisor to do that before one is applied for as a routine procedure. If workers can be routinely tested, so should ones with a badge and a gun. No brainer. You might nip potential issues in the bud, since its likely a symptom of a greater problem that needs to be addressed. As for more social workers and medicos, especially in preparation for high stress situations where anything can happen...also a no brainer, not just for the safety of cops and citizens alike but for those calls that involve mental and medical intervention. I think they should be an integral part of a modern cops training personally, and certainly as important as regular firearms training.

Considering the risk of death and injury should the money be an issue or a political consideration? We get what we pay for. We don't skimp on judges and administrators, why skimp on frontline essential personnel (In any profession frankly)?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2020, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The FBI is looking into the search warrant process as part of the investigation, but can't hurt for a supervisor to do that before one is applied for as a routine procedure. If workers can be routinely tested, so should ones with a badge and a gun. No brainer. You might nip potential issues in the bud, since its likely a symptom of a greater problem that needs to be addressed. As for more social workers and medicos, especially in preparation for high stress situations where anything can happen...also a no brainer, not just for the safety of cops and citizens alike but for those calls that involve mental and medical intervention. I think they should be an integral part of a modern cops training personally, and certainly as important as regular firearms training.

Considering the risk of death and injury should the money be an issue or a political consideration? We get what we pay for. We don't skimp on judges and administrators, why skimp on frontline essential personnel (In any profession frankly)?
    All excellent points above. I would like to add one.

Everybody agrees there are bad rogue cops, but most cops are good decent people putting their life on the line every day to protect the citizenry.

The second part of that sentence needs clarification.

It's equally true that cops tend to be silent when their brother cops are observed breaking the law, especially in minority communities. This silence does more than anything to perpetuate the distrust and fear minorities, and increasingly people in general, have when dealing with the police.

Then there's the criminal justice system which badly needs reform as it skewers in favor of the moneyed classes and works against the poor. But that's a topic for another day.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 02:48 PM
    I'm not following you on the alcohol testing. Are you saying a cop should not be able to drink some when off duty? As to drugs, it varies from one city to the next, but from what I can tell, many departments already do so. They used to randomly test our bus drivers for drug use.

Considering the risk of death and injury should the money be an issue or a political consideration? We get what we pay for.
    So you're OK with a tax increase to pay for this? Are you standing against the liberal dems who are calling for reductions in police funding?
    Expert

Sep 25, 2020, 07:34 PM
    I'm not following you on the alcohol testing. Are you saying a cop should not be able to drink some when off duty? As to drugs, it varies from one city to the next, but from what I can tell, many departments already do so. They used to randomly test our bus drivers for drug use.
    Not saying that, but given the nature of their job and they have guns, I think more scrutiny and extra care and caution should be the norm. The long term effects of alcohol/drugs is devastating enough and easily ignored by high functioning individuals until it's too late, and that's without any other issues. We should do much better than we do for our vets so let's not kid ourselves to believe we are doing enough. We are NOT.

So you're OK with a tax increase to pay for this? Are you standing against the liberal dems who are calling for reductions in police funding?
    Whatever it takes to better facilitate cops serving and protecting, because I think there are numerous issues as Athos rightly points out that have gone unaddressed for to long. Many have been outright neglected and ignored by some of you people. It's a lot more complex and far reaching than you can know. Just a symptom of a bigger problem.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 07:42 PM
    It's equally true that cops tend to be silent when their brother cops are observed breaking the law, especially in minority communities.
    There is some truth to the first part of that sentence and I doubt that many people would disagree with it. The second part, however, is questionable. I don't know of any data to back that up.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2020, 07:53 PM
    There is some truth to the first part of that sentence and I doubt that many people would disagree with it. The second part, however, is questionable. I don't know of any data to back that up.
    so you believe that minorities bring trouble upon themselves, I don't know of any data to back that up.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 08:09 PM
    so you believe that minorities bring trouble upon themselves,
    What? That wasn't even being discussed. The subject is cops covering up for each other's misbehavior. Pay attention.
    Expert

Sep 26, 2020, 05:27 AM
    Maybe it should be as a predicate for examining a bigger picture. It might just give you insight into the WHY of protests as a venue to vent and highlight injustices that go back decades.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2020, 05:35 AM
    In these shootings, it is very nearly always the case that the person killed was violently resisting arrest. The deceased can hardly be called an innocent victim of police brutality, and frequently, after the matter is investigated, it's found that the police behaved properly. Now in the case of the several thousand black Americans murdered, nearly always by other black Americans, they are truly innocent victims who get killed just because someone else wants them dead. This includes young children killed in someone's front yard, or even killed sitting in their own home. There are no national protests about this. There is no national organization dedicated to stopping it. Why? Because there is no political advantage to be gained from it since it cannot be blamed on white people. So this sickening state of affairs will continue for the very reason that no one cares. Liberal dems certainly do not care.

I suppose you will continue to ignore the amazing changes that have occurred over the decades, and also the self-destructive life habits of many people in the black community. We'll just keep on talking about the very, very small sliver of the picture that amounts to police misbehavior. There is political hay to be made there. This is all about beating Trump and nothing else. It's a racist approach to life that pre-determines guilt/innocence based on the color of the skin of the policemen and criminal.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2020, 06:29 AM
    the self-destructive life habits of many people in the black community.
    what about the self-destructive habits of many people who are not BLACK, you ignore the real issue, a community full of self-destructive habits and label it a minority problem. It is no wonder BLM runs riot
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2020, 07:12 AM
    what about the self-destructive habits of many people who are not BLACK, you ignore the real issue, a community full of self-destructive habits and label it a minority problem. It is no wonder BLM runs riot
    And yet again you are off topic. The topic WAS the black community and the injustice directed at it by police, so yeah, I confined my comments to that area. Most people in America realize that speaking about one area does not amount to pretending that other problems do not exist. We're able to think in those broad terms, and especially when we are not just dialed in to being critical. You?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RIP Sheriff Taylor [ 4 Answers ]

Sad day, Andy Griffith has passed on. What a great, great actor - his Andy Griffth Show is still just as funny today as it was 50 years ago. And if you haven't heard this it's about time you did... I42JIgfnMYE

W. L. Taylor [ 2 Answers ]

Prints by W. L. Taylor Print by W.L. Taylor If Music be the Food of Love, Play On

Need the name of this Rod Taylor movie! [ 1 Answers ]

It had a BEAUTIFUL female voice in the soundtrack singing "You'll never walk alone" - Best version I have ever heard.

Taylor Series [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one explain to me where does the x come from in the Taylor series. In sin(x) = 1 + X/1! +... Why is it x and if the function turned into sin (2x) does it affect that x?

View more questions Search