Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 07:13 PM
    My Discussion with Jlsinbe - Part 1
    My comments are in the box.

The basic issue is the proper way to approach the Bible. One claim is that the Bible is to be taken at face value since it is “the word of God”. Another says the proper approach is to first use one's mental abilities to make any determination about the Bible – or anything else for that matter. That is an essential part of anyone's thought process.

Before accepting the book as the word of God, a person first thinks and considers the matter. That should be apparent to anyone.

The next step is to determine what one thinks about the matter in question – in this case, the Bible. The process of discernment includes considering the idea with one's conscience.

Jlisenbe, like anyone, goes through this process and determines the Bible is the word of God. That is his right and his right is not in dispute.

Others, also considering the matter through the lens of their conscience as all must do, arrive at a somewhat different conclusion – that the Bible is a good book, and is useful for following the path of Christianity, but it is not the literal “word of God”.

One cannot exclude consulting the conscience – the mind does it automatically.
    Jlisenbe's reply --

The process of discernment concerns considering the idea with your mind and processes of reasoning.

Athos -- I admit I did not understand this. It sounds more like something I would write. We may have a computer glitch here.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 07:25 PM
    My Discussion with Jlisenbe - Part 2
    Athos begins:

When you speak the simple truth about God, which you have done above, no book in the world is able to second guess you. To be challenged to defend your position by “quoting Scripture” is a fool's errand.
    Jlisenbe's reply:

A simple example of a person elevating their own personal opinion above the Bible. It is equivalent to saying that the Bible is correct insofar as it agrees with me. So a person can say, "Like Jesus said to Mary, 'You have chosen the better part,'" and consider it be accurate because it agrees with his/her preconceived notions. But when the same Jesus said, " if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins," then that cannot be allowed since, after all, it does not agree with what that person has already concluded to be true. So Athos is basically saying that WG is right in her view since she agrees with his view. Stunning.

Please read carefully. Here is what you are confusing. You are saying: If one accepts one part of the Bible as correct, one must therefore accept all of the Bible as correct. That's not true with the Bible, nor is it true with any book. That's why we deliberate using our mental processes to understand. To discern. Evaluate. Examine. Test. In no sense does it mean I “elevate” my opinion above the Bible.
    Jlisenbe -- Thank you for not answering the question. You wrote that no book on the earth can second guess WG's religious opinion. That is elevating her opinion, and by necessary extension everyone's opinions, above that of the Bible. You have not explained why that would not be true.

Athos --
    I have answered it directly above your comment. It's ok not to believe it, but please don't say it's not an answer.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 07:47 PM
    My Discussion with Jilsenbe -- Part 3
    Athos:

This is not to say the Bible is not a good book. I would never say that. It is invaluable in learning about Christianity and the man of the Gospels Jesus Christ.
    Jlisenbe's reply:

This statement cannot be reconciled with the statement above.

Of course it can. As previously explained. A book can be good and invaluable and still require discernment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jlisenbe wrote:

If it is invaluable in learning about Christianity, then why wouldn't we believe what it says?

My reply:

I believe much of what it says, even most. Again, not every jot and tittle. You are confusing invaluable with infallible.
    You are trying to straddle the fence. You consider the Bible to be true as long as it agrees with you. You say it's invaluable for understanding the Christian faith, but then you will not accept what it says about the Christian faith. So when Jesus says that if we do not believe in Him we will die in our sins, that bothers you so you just toss it out. You elevate your own opinions above what the Bible says.

No. We both approach the Bible the same way - independently and informed by our conscience (among other things - upbringing, knowledge, history, etc.) You decide to believe the Bible no matter what it says. I decide to believe the Bible according to my conscience. We both begin with our minds. You see me as elevating my mind above the Bible. Ok. Do I then see you as mindlessly accepting a book without the discernment of your mind? I try not to, but maybe I should.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 08:01 PM
    My Discussion with Jilsenbe -- Part 4
    From Jlisenbe:

The problem is this. If I claim to be speaking the "simple truth" about God, then I have to ask where this simple truth came from.

My reply:

That's already been answered. The source is a person's discernment process – mind and conscience or “God's little gene” as nicely phrased by Dwashbur.

Jlisenbe wrote:

If it came from somewhere in me, then what authority can I claim to have?

My reply:

It's not a question of authority- never has been. I think this is where you are going off the rails. You need “authority” to tell you what to believe. What if that authority is wrong? Or, heaven forbid, evil? How do you determine that?

Jlisenbe

Of course it's about authority. How we determine that is the very core of the question. You believe yourself. I believe the Bible.

Athos

No. First, you believe yourself - your mind, your conscience. THEN, you believe the Bible.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 08:24 PM
    My Discussion with Jlisenbe -- Part 5
    Jlisenbe wrote:

People all around the world have various ideas about God which they consider to be the simple truth. Some of them will kill you in defense of that truth.

My reply:

That's true of Christians more than any other religion. What do we make of that? Does that mean the Bible is evil?

Yeah. We know that's true from how the Christians attacked America on 9/11. But even if your silly claim was true, it makes no difference. As long as those violent Christians were acting on their conscience, how can you say they are wrong? Once again, you did not answer the question.

I never said one's conscience was absolute, perfect and infallible. Like all human qualities it needs to be developed, and not go blindly into believing a Bible because the Bible said so.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

Jlisenbe wrote:

Who's to say they are wrong if all of this is nothing more than a contest of opinions arrived at by what we contend is the voice of our conscience?

My reply:

In terms of Christianity, what you have said – a contest of opinions – is very close to the truth. At last count, Christianity has hundreds, (maybe thousands), of versions some of which have major theological differences. You ask, “Who's to say they are wrong”? Who, indeed? You?

Jlisenbe replied:

One again, you do not answer the question.

Yes, I have answered the question, as I have all of your questions. As an authoritarian personality, you need answers that fit into your already established ideas.

Jlisenbe:
    Is there anything to appeal to above the collective voices of billions of consciences?

Athos:

Yes. You yourself have commended the collective minds of ministers, believers, church people over the last two thousand years. How can you criticize others who may be using the same methodology as you?

Consciences are not really collective. They are uniquely individual.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 08:28 PM
    My Discussion with Jlsinbe - Part 6 (Final)
    Jlisenbe wrote:

The truth always comes out sooner or later. Here it is, sadly I think, for Athos. "...no book in the world is able to second guess you." There would seem to be no other way to take that than to conclude that he considers his views to be king over the Bible.

My reply:

You may take it the way I intended it to be taken and which I described at length here in this series of replies.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2020, 07:10 AM
    My reply is here. I am not going to comment in these ridiculous, multiple threads.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...78#post3858178

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

a motor car covers 1/3 part of total distance with v1=10km/hr second 1/3 part with v2 [ 1 Answers ]

a motor car covers 1/3 part of total distance with v1=10km/hr second 1/3 part with v2=20 km/hr and rest 1/3 part v3=60km/hr. what is the average speed of the car?

Social Security and Medicare tax refund : part L-1/part F-1 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Tax experts, I have a specific question regarding social security and medicare tax refund. Tax Year: 2008 Visa Status/days of presence in US: L-1-work (45 days), F-1 student (5 months) Substantial Presence Test: Failed (45 days: more than 31 days but less than 183 days - F-1 student...

Part real, part animated 80s movie girl stopms ant [ 1 Answers ]

OH MY GOD. I have been searching and reading online trying to find this movie. All I remember is that part of the movie is real (starts out real)... I feel like the little girl stomps on an anthill... she becomes real... I can't remember much. It is not Katy Caterpillar, Phantom Tollbooth, or...

The God discussion. [ 45 Answers ]

At my work place there are certain individuals including myself that are discussion God and all aspects of God. The thing is this one person is a non believer, is angry and mad at God. Now he is open to debating and discussing but at what point does a Christian stop explaining or stop debating or...

View more questions Search