Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DixieChick66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2020, 09:16 PM
    1994 Ford F150 won't start
    Our 1994 F150 extended cab has refused to start (consistently anyway) for over a week now. Won't crank, just clicks. Checked the battery - good. Starter - good. Replaced the solenoid, replaced both the positive and negative battery cable terminal ends (what ARE those things actually called, btw?) just in case there was an issue there, and checked the fuses. Only way my husband got it to start at all this past week was by crawling underneath the truck and using a wrench to jump/span the starter directly (and once he used my son-in-law's jump box when he happened to stopped by.) The last time he was under the truck he happened to notice a wire (encased in a plastic/rubber sheath) that felt like it might be broken, so he stripped the sheath off to get to the wire inside and sure enough it was broken. Evidently the sheath had held it in place just enough for it to make an occasional connection. Anyway, he spliced it back together, and the truck started just fine. It fired right up as soon as he turned the key in the ignition without any hesitation or hiccup. First time he was able to start it using the key in the ignition for over 8 days. Lol. He tested it to make sure it was starting fine by shutting the truck off, waiting a few minutes, and then starting it up again. He did this several times and it started right up each and every single time he tried/tested it. So he finally went ahead and taped up the spliced wires real good and..... you guessed it. Now it won't start again. Arrrgggghhhh!!! Please help!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 20, 2020, 07:35 AM
    I think I start with replacing that whole wire wherever it goes or comes from as you never said.
    DixieChick66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2020, 09:31 AM
    Sorry about that. I felt like I thoroughly "interrogated" my husband before posting my question so I could provide as much information as possible, but I obviously didn't ask quite enough questions. 🙃 I just now talked to my husband about this and he said it was the wire that provides power to the solenoid, but he said he replaced the whole wire after splicing it didn't work. Still won't start.

He wants to know if this problem could be caused if the starter is not firmly bolted/grounded to the transmission? Thanks for replying. 🙂
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 17, 2020, 02:50 PM
    If you can successfully start it by shorting at the starter, then you know that battery power is at the starter on that side. Look for corrosion on the ignition circuit. Make certain the ends of the connectors are clean and tight.
    Do you have a multi-meter capable of diagnosing a voltage drop test?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2020, 08:42 AM
    Check/replace the starter relay, located in the under hood fuse/relay box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1994 ford f150 will crank but no start. [ 14 Answers ]

My truck will crank but will not start. It has a new fuel filter and it is getting spark but it will not run. When I turn the key on I can hear the front pump run then stop after a few seconds. And the rear pump does the same thing. But when I go to start the truck it does not run. It is almost...

1994 ford f150 truck no spark [ 7 Answers ]

Engine turns over, no spark, no start.. ran fine when parked night before.

Truck won't start ford 1994 f150 [ 3 Answers ]

OK! I am about frustrated lol, as I am sure most who are not mechanics are when it comes to fixing a vehicle. I have a 1994 ford f150 pickup 302 v8 with dual tanks. It started bogging down. Especially when I would try to go above 25 mph. THEN it completely died and would not start. So we bought...

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

88 Ford F150 won't Start! [ 4 Answers ]

:( Me again... this is what has been done so far: 88 Ford F150 yard plow trick. 5.0. The battery has been dying so we put a new one in.. truck ran fine plowed the yard. Went out next morning battery is dead. Took the battery in to the shop had it charged. Truck started up, ran a few seconds died...

View more questions Search