Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2020, 12:37 PM
    cracked drain pipe
    Any suggestions other than to call a plumber? Nothing above it but roof about ten or twelve feet up. Black plastic about sixty years old.

Name:  broken pipeee.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  54.9 KBName:  broken pipe.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  62.8 KB
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 17, 2020, 06:51 PM
    Hi John

Short-term you can clean the ABS plastic pipe up and silicone the crack.

Long-term you need to remove the cracked fitting and replace with new ABS plastic pipe and fittings if you don't want to think about this again. UGH!

Replacing defective ABS pipe and fittings is actually pretty easy (LIGHT WEIGHT), so if you'd like to tackle the job let me know and I'll put up a list of fittings and materials needed to complete the job. Of course, I'm also glad to walk you through the repair if you like.

Otherwise, open the wall up to the next stud so the plumber has full access and call in for pipe/fitting replacement.

Let me know what you want to do!

Mark
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2020, 06:54 PM
    OK. I'm going to ponder it a couple of days. Thanks for the reply. I'll get back with you.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 17, 2020, 07:06 PM
    Deal! If you want to chat via phone at any time just private message me and I'll message back with my number! Good night!
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2020, 07:16 PM
    Many thanks.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2020, 02:10 PM
    OK. Went to the local plumbing shop here. They told me to cut out the 3" T and sold me a 3" PVC T, a 3" fernco fitting to go above the T, a 3" coupling with a length of 3" PVC to go below, and a 1.5" length of PVC with a fernco fitting to attach to the drain pipe. Only 18 bucks into this thing so I can still call a plumber if I decide to. One concern is the 3" ABS above the T. Once I cut out the T, would that 10 feet or so of pipe need to be supported while the work is done? Or the pipe beneath, for that matter?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2020, 06:02 AM
    Hi John

That looks to be a 3"x2" (or a 3"x1.5") tee fitting so a straight 3" tee is not correct. You need to get the correct tee fitting, another 3" fernco coupling, a 2" (or 1.5") fernco clamp, some 3" ABS pipe and some 2" (or 1.5") ABS pipe, and some ABS primer and ABS cement.

Cut the broken fitting out by cutting the pipe 6" below the fitting and 6-8" above the fitting. Cut the smaller pipe about 1/2 way into the stud bay.

Slide the 3" fernco coupling onto the bottom 3" pipe. Next, slide the 2" (or 1.5") fernco onto the smaller pipe in the stud bay. Measure the length of pipes needed for the smaller pipe and the larger pipe so the 3" tee fitting lines up with smaller pipe and the hole in the stud. Push the tee fitting into place and secure the fernco clamps (couplings). Slide the other 3" fernco up the 3" pipe and measure for the pipe needed to connect the tee to the vertical pipe. Move the 3" pipe to the right and prime/cement the measured pipe into the tee. Slide the 3" fernco down onto the 3" pipe and tighten up all the clamps.

In terms of supporting the 3" pipe above and below the work, I would definitely advise you to do that. ABS is not particularly heavy but it is brittle (as you can see), so you do not want the pipe to drop even a little, if possible. Here, I would suggest purchasing (2) - 3" RISER CLAMPS (sold only at a plumbing supply store or online...see image). Install one riser clamp on the bottom pipe down tight to the stud plate and install one a couple feet up and support under the clamp using a 2"x4" at an angle. You will need to cut the stud at the bottom a few inches to install the bottom riser clamp. Ideally, you can support the 3" pipe from below and won't need the bottom riser clamp, but if you can't access the pipe from below you should definitely use the clamp.

Hope that made sense...

Name:  riserclamp.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  12.8 KB
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2020, 06:18 AM
    It did. The only significant difference is that you want a fernco both above and below. The said use the coupling below. The fernco would sure be a lot easier. I'm still pondering this, but I'm kind of leaning towards bringing someone in. I'm at the point in life where a plumbing bill would not a catastrophe. I try to weigh the benefits of saving some money with the risk of causing more problems than I'm solving. Have a funeral to preach today and church sermon tomorrow, so I'll take another look at it Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the info!! I'll get back with you.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2020, 06:23 AM
    The coupling below is a better job, but makes the job a bit harder to pull off is all. If you do it yourself, use the two ferncos! Good day!
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2020, 08:07 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. Makes it a bit more do-able. Again, thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2020, 02:06 PM
    OK. Got er done. Many thanks. I'll leave the wall open a week or so just to be sure there are no leaks. I put an additional clamp at the bottom of the lower Fernco fitting just to be on the safe side.

Did learn one thing. Those fittings don't slide easily at all, but a little Dawn dish-washing detergent helps a lot. Name:  fix best.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  57.3 KB
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2020, 07:04 AM
    Looks good John! Yeah, a little dish soap or a little silicone grease helps a lot with those fittings.

Take care!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2021, 06:29 PM
    Good job replacing that cracked ABS "T". Mark's excellent advice helped you save at least two-three hundred dollars in Plumber's cost ! Way to go, Mark !

Milo
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2021, 06:51 AM
    He was a great help to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cracked bathtub drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We just purchased a brand new costructed, fifth floor condo. The building was actually constructed in 2007 and we purchased and closed last year (2010). The building is in Florida and the builder suffered bankruptcy due to the recession. A bank in New York bought the buiding and sold about 70%...

Kitchen drain pipe cracked - Help! [ 6 Answers ]

I noticed yesterday there was a little pool of water in my crawl space. Today with the kitchen faucet running, I discovered why. This plastic pipe is about 3 inches diameter and is cracked pretty much along half the circumference of the pipe. What will it take to fix this? Can it be sealed? Or...

How to fix a cracked drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How do I fix a cracked pvc drain pipe, that sets under my shower foundation. It is a 2" PVC drain pipe.

Repairing a cracked drain pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I've attached a picture of the drain pipe. The kitchen and bathroom sink and bathtub all lead into this pipe before the crack. The crack is about 4" long in a lead pipe (I believe) which is threaded into a cast iron T. The crack goes all the way to the cast iron T and I'm wondering if that would...

View more questions Search