Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2020, 04:59 PM
    the only thing in your comment that is human caused is the wild fires due to poor land management .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2020, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    the only thing in your comment that is human caused is the wild fires due to poor land management .
    And how would YOU have managed the land? Swept (raked?) the forest floor?
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2020, 07:24 PM
    yeah . You can mock him for the way he said it ;but clearing underbrush and controlled (prescribed ) fires in the right weather condition ;creating fire breaks by opening up the lands for recreation purposes like creating hiking trails ;logging old growth trees ,are all a part of logical land management . It is a decades lack of such management that have fueled the intensity of forest fires (which are inevitable and natural occurring events . )

Something else lefties don't like to talk about because it doesn't support their narrative; ; Many of the fires are intentionally set by arsonists .

https://www.khq.com/fires/officials-...5b11bc1ac.html

https://www.wethegoverned.com/who-ar...hington-state/

https://people.com/crime/california-...-ranch-2-fire/

https://sfist.com/2020/08/21/santa-c...e-that-is-now/
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2020, 06:34 AM
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...e4912ab5191421Well the US is signing on for a stouch with China over the Indian border clashes so we will see which of Trump's losers he sends
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2020, 06:44 AM
    You guys are signed on as well. I wish we would learn to mind our own business. Any intervention we provide will be roundly criticized and completely unappreciated. Perhaps we should encourage the Aussies, Japanese, and India to pony up with enough funding to defend themselves rather than counting on us to do it for them.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2020, 10:01 AM
    I'm all for a Quad alliance . It is going to take a coalition to stop China's aggression. It will be too late if we wait for them to expand to our back yard . Did Tibet have a chance to defend themselves against Chinese occupation ? Can all the countries in the South China Sea defend themselves against China ? Australia knows the Chinese are coming after them for their minerals .While the Chinese were weaker they settled for trade agreements . They don't want to rely on the uneven trade practices they have gotten away with .They are approaching the day where they will be able to take what they want . See the 9 dash line to understand that the Chinese could care less about legitimate internationally recognized borders . The US cannot afford to look the other way . Too much shipping freight travels through the South China Sea .
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2020, 10:11 AM
    The US cannot afford to look the other way .
    I get your point and it's a valid one, but we cannot continue to overspend by a trillion dollars a year. A day of reckoning is coming. I'm not convinced we can afford to join this when the other three countries are relying on us to keep from having to pull their own weight in defense. We spend 3.4% of GDP on defense. India is at 2.4%, Australia is 1.9%, and Japan less than 1%. That needs to be set right. China, by the way, is at 1.9%.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2020, 01:04 PM
    The spending is a valid point . That has been Trump's beef with the NATO nations . I'll take them one at a time . India .They were non-aligned during the Cold War ,often in the Soviet block As a result we ended up in alliances with nations that were against our interest like Pakistan . India comes from the Anglosphere and should be a natural ally with us .They are the world's largest democracy and are uniquely situated geographically to put an instant stop to Chinese ambitions . This is why the President has put such an emphasis in forging a good relationship with Indian PM Modi .

Japan . I am unsure where they will go now that Abe has announced his retirement . Their defense spending is the result of the end of WWII and our dictate that they don't spend on military. That arrangement is out of date . Japan under Abe was taking the steps to increase their military budget and commitments .They have actively participated in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan . They are on the flank of the 1st island chain containing China's ambition to expand out to the deep Blue Pacific .

Australia clearly underspends on it's military and they know it . June they announced a 40% increase in spending . They recognize the China threat they are facing , and PM Morrison knows it . Australia has ponied up and has had troop commitments and casualties in every conflict we have been involved in for the last 100 years ....and they purchase tons of US military hardware (including that pig the F-35 ....their 1st squadron will be operational next year . ) Some of our most sensitive military training happens in Australia . We joint operate the Pine Gap satellite surveillance base where NSA Echelon basically spied on the world . Economically we are joined at the hip .We are the largest investor in Australia ;and we are also Australia's largest destination for foreign investment . We share their commitment to western democratic governance and institutions . We share their values more than with any other nation .....a commitment to the rule of law, religious liberty, free speech ;debate that provides the foundation for prosperity and security. If I was forced to live anywhere else on the planet ,Australia would be my destination (despite all their flaws like gun control.) China cannot be a wedge in this special relationship.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2020, 01:22 PM
    June they announced a 40% increase in spending .
    That is sure a move in the right direction. They have historically been very competent.

Economically we are joined at the hip .
    Except that our hip is greatly larger than theirs. But they are certainly a natural ally.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2020, 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Tom but we don't get involved in the conflicts of others for the sake of it and with the CV19 contraction I'm sure our spending is a bigger percentage of the national take because a percentage of GDP is just a meaningless statistic, the question is what bang do you get for your buck
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2020, 04:40 PM
    Percentage of gdp is how it’s done. Practically everyone spends less than us but then just expect us to make up the difference. And saying “Thanks,” is a rarity.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2020, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Percentage of gdp is how it’s done. Practically everyone spends less than us but then just expect us to make up the difference. And saying “Thanks,” is a rarity.
    The real question is why do you spend as much as you do? Why do you feel the need to dominate the world with your military might? Ok, you have been attacked a couple of times in your history and your history has been a turbulent one of both internal and external conflict but you have no enemies on your borders. Because we have no enemies on our borders we don't feel the need to build up our military power and maintain a standing military numbering millions and you criticise us because we don't do as you do as if you are the standard by which we should measure ourselves. What does the Bible say about those who measure themselves by themselves? it does not say you are wise

Certainly, when they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves to themselves, they show how foolish they are. 3. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2020, 07:04 PM
    You miss the point. I'm the one advocating that we mind our own business and let you guys take care of yourselves, or at least until you are willing to do what it takes to defend yourself. It does strike me as strange for a country with "no enemies on our borders" to be so eager to enter into a defense alliance with us, India, and Japan. Now if the Chinese show up someday, I will be happy to tell you to call someone else for help.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2020, 07:51 PM
    You miss the point. I'm the one advocating that we mind our own business and let you guys take care of yourselves, or at least until you are willing to do what it takes to defend yourself. It does strike me as strange for a country with "no enemies on our borders" to be so eager to enter into a defense alliance with us, India, and Japan. Now if the Chinese show up someday, I will be happy to tell you to call someone else for help.
    We have been in a defence alliance with you for 70 years or more. We were one of the allies in WWI and WWII, something you seem to forget, as you conveniently do that we were fully committed in both wars before you got off your collective arses, so don't talk to us about holding up our end, we have done that for more than a century. We lack the population you enjoy so our committments seem modest to you, but our committment to our own defence is not small but tempered by both our financial resources and our population. We had a million under arms in WWII, a very large percentage of our population, so when it comes down to it we make the sacrifice, but we do not go around telling other nations how much they should spend on acquiring arms, most of which you provide. We are not slaves to your military-industrial complex
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2020, 08:35 PM
    Have it your way. I am not deriding you guys, but I am saying I am tired of anyone and everyone thinking they have some claim to our help when they are funding their own defense at a rate that's half of ours and seem to delight in expressions such as "before you got off your collective arses." So my solution is for us to mind our own business as we sit on our arses with a balanced budget while you sink or swim on your own. It's like I've said before. We help other nations, and we get insulted in return. It gets old really quickly.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 13, 2020, 04:14 AM
    I doubt the covid virus will allow for a balanced budget, any time soon, but has exposed all our weaknesses that have gone unaddressed and left us unprepared to meet it's challenges. Passing the buck is the new normal starting at the top. Playing it down has effectively dumbed us down.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2020, 05:04 AM
    We haven't had a balanced budget in twenty years. The virus is just the latest excuse.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2020, 06:39 AM
    Have it your way. I am not deriding you guys, but I am saying I am tired of anyone and everyone thinking they have some claim to our help when they are funding their own defense at a rate that's half of ours and seem to delight in expressions such as "before you got off your collective arses." So my solution is for us to mind our own business as we sit on our arses with a balanced budget while you sink or swim on your own. It's like I've said before. We help other nations, and we get insulted in return. It gets old really quickly.
    Balanced budget, that concept eludes you, even if you stopped all your military expenditure that wouldn't go half way to balancing your budget. As to you minding your own business, another concept that eludes you. You guys have splinters in your bum from sitting on the fence and when you do get off it, recently you have been getting off on the wrong side. We are allies but nothing says if you pick a fight we have to support you
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2020, 07:09 AM
    Like I said. Have it your way. Honestly, sometimes I think nothing would delight me more than to see arrogant little nations like yours getting clobbered while we get to set that one out as opposed to spilling American blood for a group that has no gratitude and only a boatload of criticism. Now I know we likely won't do that, but it would certainly be justice in action.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2020, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I doubt the covid virus will allow for a balanced budget, any time soon, but has exposed all our weaknesses that have gone unaddressed and left us unprepared to meet it's challenges. Passing the buck is the new normal starting at the top. Playing it down has effectively dumbed us down.
    Did you expect anything different from the guy you call dufus, he is as dumb as three wooden planks layed end on end as the scots would say. he obviously thinks you are as dumb as he is and just maybe he has a point

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Real Donald Trump [ 4 Answers ]

Answering a question from CNN. https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-15bda7138a95a6fe60e0c75252783d0b

Trump's First Kill of an American Citizen [ 129 Answers ]

Trump's words at his TV conference: "A drug called chloroquine—and some people would add to it, hydroxychloroquine—so chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine...it's been around for a long time, so if things don't go as planned it's not going to kill anybody." A husband and wife took Trump's...

Another American Hero Dissed By Trump [ 39 Answers ]

Insulting a soldier who earned medals and was wounded in the line of duty wearing the uniform of his country's Armed Forces, Trump sank to new lows. Making matters worse, this brave soldier's testimony showed that Trump's so-called "transcript" of the notorious phone call to the Ukraine...

Trump Approves Murder of American Journalist [ 145 Answers ]

Trump sycophant Pompeo will meet with Saudi Arabia today when he promises to discuss the brutal murder by Saudi Arabia of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Of course, he will do nothing of the sort. Trump has already approved Khashoggi's execution. Trump clearly signaled that it's...

The Real Trump [ 28 Answers ]

Trump the racist recently pardoned fellow-racist the Sheriff in Arizona whose name will not dignify this message. He was CONVICTED of ordering his police officers to stop UNITED STATES CITIZENS based on the color of their skin and how they "looked". Let me repeat that. The racist sheriff...

View more questions Search