Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minibike6969 Posts: 78, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2020, 05:16 PM
    Grounding Main breaker box
    hi i would like know if a ground wire can be ran from the neutral bus bar inside the main panel to a ground electrode.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2020, 08:09 AM
    Need to know more details as to why you believe this needs to be done. Grounding of a service is simple and should had been done by the installer. Just arbitrarily connecting a grounding electrode conductor to the neutral is not allowed. Please describe the situation you have. Where is the meter? Is there a main circuit breaker at the meter or located in the main panel?

Also, just noted this question is posted in Cars & Trucks, perhaps admin can make the necessary corrections. >Admin moved<

Aug 19, 2020, 09:16 PM
    i pluged in a circut tester and the light came on saying there is a open ground,and i see nothing as far as a ground wire going to earth copper rod,also if i were to add a ground wire to the electrical panel box then to a grounding rod would that fix the open ground problem
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2020, 04:25 AM
    An open ground test at a receptacle means that circuit has an open ground between the receptacle and the panel. You may not have a ground rod, althou there should be at least one, your system may be grounded to the utility water line.

Aug 21, 2020, 07:17 AM
    no ground to water line, but the two wire electrical system jacket is metal
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 22, 2020, 07:29 AM
    https://www.hunker.com/13401948/how-...ng-is-grounded

https://getscribeware.com/understand...ns-for-repair/

Or does this sound like your condition

https://www.hunker.com/12436135/what-is-an-open-neutral

Hard to diagnose or advise with limited data, so I can only put forth processes and hope you use them SAFELY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you install a main breaker in a type BR200 amp main lug load center? [ 1 Answers ]

want to install interlock device for connecting generator.

Electrical - Main breaker panel vs subpanel grounding [ 2 Answers ]

I have seen several question like the one I am about to ask but I am still not clear on a requirement for grounding bar from neutral to ground (issue on classification of subpanel vs main panel or service panel). The power company has just set a new pole for my ranch in Texas. The power lines...

How to compute size of main feeder line & main breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

Panel board 1(single phase) - total wattage=17,000w @ 230V - has 2.5Hp ACU (largest motor) Please. Solve for.: 1. size of main feeder line 2. main breaker Panel board 2(3phase) - total wattage=10000w @ 230V

New main breaker load center - grounding [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a fuse box that I want to upgrade to a main breaker load center. My house is in the country so I have a pole with the meter and a service disconnect. From the service disconnect it braches to my barn, well pump, and the house. (Following the main into the house) Inside on...

View more questions Search