Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2020, 03:44 PM
    Kitchen counter - laminate seam separating
    Is there a sealer I can use to reseal the seam on the surface of my kitchen counter? It is laminate, a very nice but older piece - I don't want to replace it! It is a tiny seam that has become visible, and I am afraid that water on the counter top will infiltrate and cause damage or de-lamination. I have seen surface repair in tubes for scratches, or damage - will a product like that work?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2020, 11:19 PM
    Is the laminate separating from the wood underneath?

You can use a heat gun, or an iron with a wet rag to re-stick it, the glue underneath should become tacky again with heat. Just don't burn it, keep from concentrating the heat in too small an area.

The counter pieces may be separating? Does the separation appear under the counter as well?

Can be sealed with any silicon based caulk, probably should be repaired structurally as well.

I've installed laminated counters for 7 years now, I might be able to help you better with a photo of the damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring separating [ 9 Answers ]

My laminate flooring is separating at several seams, up to 1/4 inch especially in areas that we directly walk on. We had this professionally installed a yr and a half ago. Of course the warranty has expired on the installation. What do you suggest we do to correct this problem?

Laminate floors separating [ 1 Answers ]

My laminate flooring is separating at the seams. The gaps are significant up to 1/4 inch on 4 different pieces. The floors were installed a year ago over top of wood subloor and is no longer under warranty. The area of the floor that is separating is a high traffic area (hallway) but it is not a...

Laminate flooring separating [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed laminate flooring about 3 months ago, we spilled a small amount of water and Mr. Clean in one area in the middle of the floor and after 1 day the laminate at the seam has come apart from the bottom in two separate spots. Does anyone know what can be done as we have no extra...

Applying laminate tile in kitchen on top of laminate tiles [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I had a question about applying those Armstrong laminate faux tile in my kitchen. The kitchen already has (at least one) layer of laminate flooring on it. There is an imperfection as well, where the flooring isn't level. I called a flooring company near my house and asked them about...

Laminate Sheets for kitchen counter tops [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get laminate sheets to cover my existing laminate counter tops. Everywhere I have looked they sell the precut counters themselves, but they are standard sizes. I have one counter that is L shaped and very long and that's not standard size I...

View more questions Search