Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 05:51 AM
    Time to cancel the NY Slimes
    We live in a woke and cancel culture world . It has been warned that the radicals eventually feast on their own. Well it is Time to put the NY Slimes under scrutiny as a worthy candidate for cancelling .
    Specifically I speak of the ownership of the paper .Besides the obvious like the Slimes covered up the holocaust (of which the libs really don't object to ) . Turns out the Slimes was founded by sympathizers of the Confederacy and slavery .

Bertha Levy Ochs, the mother of Times patriarch Adolph S. Ochs, supported the South and slavery. She was caught smuggling medicine to Confederates in a baby carriage and her brother Oscar joined the rebel army.Oscar Levy fought alongside two Mississippi cousins, meaning at least three members of Bertha’s family fought for secession.Adolph Ochs’ own “Southern sympathies” were reflected in the content of the Chattanooga Times, the first newspaper he owned, and then The New York Times. The latter published an editorial in 1900 saying the Democratic Party, which Ochs supported, “may justly insist that the evils of negro suffrage were wantonly inflicted on them.”Six years later, the Times published a glowing profile of Confederate President Jefferson Davis on the 100th anniversary of his birth, calling him “the great Southern leader.
    Ochs reportedly made contributions to rebel memorials, including $1,000 to the enormous Stone Mountain Memorial in Georgia that celebrates Davis, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. He made the donation in 1924 so his mother, who died 16 years earlier, could be on the founders’ roll, adding in a letter that “Robert E. Lee was her idol.”
    In the years before his death in 1931, Ochs’ brother George was simultaneously an officer of The New York Times Company and a leader of the New York Chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

All that would be bad enough given that the same family still owns the Times and allows it to become a leader in the movement to demonize America’s founding and rewrite history to put slavery at its core. As part of that revisionism, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln are suddenly beyond redemption, their great deeds canceled by their flaws.
    But shouldn’t such breathtaking self-righteousness include the responsibility to lead by example? Shouldn’t the Times first clean out the Confederates in its own closet?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 09:12 AM
    tomder, are you off your meds again?
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 11:24 AM
    They should make the Slimes pay reparations .

I haven't started yet . Next up New York . New York was named for the Duke of York, a slave trader - James, Duke of York, helped establish a company that would control all English business in African slave trading.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 01:14 PM
    UP THE BOULEVARD!!! (Irish rebel yell).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 19, 2020, 01:36 PM
    Tomder you better not get any ideas of inciting riots and looting the NYT!
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 03:17 PM
    I'm surprised the NYT building is not in flames already .

UP THE BOULEVARD!!! (Irish rebel yell).
    and why does Notre Dame get away with calling their teams the 'fighting Irish' and using a midget ..... ooops I mean vertically challenged leprechaun as a mascot . As an American of Irish descent I demand they change their name and mascot !! .

and you can just smell the racism when you walk into a Cracker Barrel restaurant .
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    and why does Notre Dame get away with calling their teams the 'fighting Irish' and using a midget ..... ooops I mean vertically challenged leprechaun as a mascot . As an American of Irish descent I demand they change their name and mascot !! .
    There is a move to drop the "Fighting" from the name. But that would make it worse - The "Irish" doesn't really mean anything alone.

As for the leprechaun, you're way off base. Leprechauns are not midgets - they're little people. That's how God made them. They have to be little to play tricks on people and to protect their pots of gold. Those are facts! And you could look that up in your Funken Wagnalls.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2020, 06:15 PM
    Now don't put the oriash down athos, we are a fiesty lot, comes of fighting english oppression for a thousand years be careful or i'll set the little people on you, to be sure I will and summon up a banshie as well
    Expert

Jul 20, 2020, 05:13 AM
    You do have the right to march in the street and protest stuff like everybody else Tom. Make a sign and have at it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2020, 07:22 AM
    Yes, do you BLM Tom, no, you said you are WOKE, so perhaps Blue Lives Matter afterall
    Expert

Jul 20, 2020, 04:13 PM
    Gregg Abbot wants YOU, Tom. What are you waiting for? Get out of that BLUE STATE and get with the people you can LOVE! 8D
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2020, 04:16 PM
    yes go west
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2020, 06:35 PM
    I hear they are going to make the WHITE Sox change their name . And don't eat in a Cracker Barrel the name reeks of racism .
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2020, 10:26 PM
    how can there be racism in the most racist society on Earth? by what standard do you define racism?

Here are some definitions;
    Of Black voters, 65 percent said racism is a systemic problem built into various institutions and policies.
    an example of what they're referring to.
    -- Must pass a test to get into college? Racist.
    -- Must be drug-free and not a felon to obtain employment? Racist.
    -- Must have a high school education to get a job? Racist.
    -- Must have a job and sufficient income to get a mortgage? Racist.

The National Museum of African American History and Culture (funded by the Smithsonian) posted a graphic on their website (since taken down) which listed the characteristics or beliefs of the “dominant culture of “whiteness”. This included:
    -- self-reliance
    -- the nuclear family
    -- hard work is the key to success
    -- work before play
    -- be polite
    -- respect authority
    -- plan for the future
    -- delayed gratification
    -- the scientific method, and
    -- decision-making

Now I had always thought those were characteristics of most societies. But apparently blacks believe only whites behave this way. If so, then I can see how blacks would consider it to be "racist" to expect this behavior from them.

So, someone please describe for me the "culture of blackness" which doesn't include these things? Hip hot music, gang bangers,
    Expert

Jul 24, 2020, 07:22 PM
    Maybe your view of the black experience is limited to young poor blacks in large inner cities, but none of the rest of your post even applies, nor gives a description of racism that comes close to being accurate. It's sad you have been ignoring my various posts on this subject and replacing it with right wing loony racist aspersion. Those folk will never admit it exists or practiced.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2020, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Maybe your view of the black experience is limited to young poor blacks in large inner cities, but none of the rest of your post even applies, nor gives a description of racism that comes close to being accurate. It's sad you have been ignoring my various posts on this subject and replacing it with right wing loony racist aspersion. Those folk will never admit it exists or practiced.
    You Tal I'm just pointing out the irony. I know you think racism is discrimination, but there are many forms of discrimination and not all of them are racist. In this country, for example, you can't criticise a black without being called racist. We even discriminated in a positive manner and were accused of racism, how dare we point out that these people were disadvantaged and how dare we try to do something about it
    Expert

Jul 24, 2020, 08:42 PM
    Forgive me Clete if your Aussie logic and ethos escapes my poor widdow brain. It's certainly a bit foriegn to my understanding and ability to follow. My bad.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2020, 06:14 AM
    Just saying, leave them alone they want to be black
    Expert

Jul 25, 2020, 07:44 AM
    That's the problem that some have. They don't want them to be left alone to be black. They would rather they stay in the place they have defined for them. They also have the POWER to enforce that notion, and do. That is the definition of racism. Without POWER they are just ordinary prejudiced bigots.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2020, 05:28 PM
    Which bigots do you speak of the black or the white

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you cancel a lease and serve a 3-day notice at the same time? [ 1 Answers ]

Tenant moved in November, 2010, Check bounced, been having problems since. Can I cancel lease and serve the 3-day notice at the same time?

The NY Slimes & American Exceptionalism [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: From an obituary today in the NY Slimes: "Col. Harold E. Fischer Jr., an American fighter pilot who was routinely tortured in a Chinese prison during and after the Korean War, becoming — along with three other American airmen held at the same prison — a symbol and victim of cold war...

Can he cancel [ 8 Answers ]

I was just wondering if my soon to be ex can cancel my cell phone. We are in divorce proceedings. He has threatened to do it, but never has. I told him he could but since we just renewed our contract that he'd have to pay the early cancellation fee. We have 1400 peak minutes, I have used 637 and he...

NY Slimes endorsements [ 15 Answers ]

:p Predictably they endorsed Evita :eek: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/25/opinion/25fri1.html . But check out their kudos to John McCain : We have strong disagreements with all the Republicans running for president. The leading candidates have no plan for getting American troops out...

View more questions Search