Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2020, 07:37 PM
    Do HSA distributions increase audit risk?
    I don't have an HSA account yet and was considering one. But a friend told me that for every medical expense you have to be very diligent, and any HSA distribution increases audit risk.

I wanted to confirm if this is true. I would much rather not deal with any audits for a small tax benefit so would appreciate any insight.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 26, 2020, 08:15 PM
    Your friend is full of it.

I have dealt with HSAs for the past ten years and, to my knowledge, not ONE IRS audit has resulted from using of an HSA.

The only time there is an IRS audit is if someone forgets to report an HSA distribution or the tax preparer forgets to properly report HSA contributions and/or distribution on Form 8889.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

determine value of stock with nominal risk free rate versus risk premium [ 0 Answers ]

A company pays dividend of $3.00 per share annually. Investors believe the nominal risk free rate is 4% the stock should have a risk premium of 6% what is the a=value of the stock A company pays dividend of $3.00 per share annually. Investors believe the nominal risk free rate is 4% the stock...

Describe how atheromas can increase the risk f a person suffering from a heart attack [ 0 Answers ]

Describe how atheromas can increase the risk f a person suffering from a heart attack?

Tax audit. Filed wrong 1099 forms from previous year and received an audit notice [ 1 Answers ]

In 2008 I filed my taxes for 2007 and used the wrong 1099 forms for that specific year, 2007. It seems my tax preparer used my 2006 1099 forms, for the year 2007, and my income was $70,000 higher in 2006 than 2007. Therefore, I reported $70,000 more income than actually earned. My tax preparer...

Will increase in pump intake pipe size, increase flow rate? [ 1 Answers ]

At my cabin I use a 12 volt Flojet pump to pump water from the lake to the cabin. I am using 1/2 inch plastic pipe for the intake and outlet on the pump. Would I see an increase in water flow if I increase the size of the pipe going from the lake to the pump to 3/4 plastic

View more questions Search