Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2020, 08:54 PM
    For US citizens abroad, what is the standard deduction and do you file as a resident?
    US citizens that have been resident outside the country since start of 2019 (been in the US for approx 1 month all of 2019), would they be able to claim standard deduction?

And are there any limits on physical presence in the US that need to be watched to determine if we would be considered residents for taxation purposes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 30, 2020, 10:11 PM
    U.S. citizens who have resided outside of the United States are STILL required to file an annual U.S. tax return and they can claim the same deduction as any living inside the United States.

Physical presence in the U.S. only becomes an issue for green card holders and those who have established residency through the Substantial Presence Test.
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2020, 07:28 PM
    Oh, interesting. Really helpful.

And just to be clear for the income earned abroad we dont have a W-4 so what documents would we need to submit in such a situation?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 31, 2020, 09:32 PM
    You need to determine what income earned overseas is subject to U.S. taxes, and what is not. Look at the tax treaty if there is one.

Then what you earned as wages is entered on Line #7 of the Form 1040.

If you need professional help, I AM available. You can email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itemized deduction vs Standard Deduction for Non Resident Alien from India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1 Visa from August 22 2009. I want to file my tax returns and my status is non resident for year 2009 and I have to file form 1040NR-EZ, which I understand correctly. Now my question is there is a one clause in the instruction booklet for filing form 1040NR-EZ that indian...

Arizona MFJ standard deduction possible for non-resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I am a resident alien for tax purposes (entered US 1998). I got married end of Nov 2009 and my wife didn't enter US all of 2009 (entered 1st time, March 2010). We filed MFJ with 1st-year choice option for Federal taxes. How about Arizona taxes? Will Arizona let me...

India US Tax Treaty + Resident Alien + Standard deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Indian national who finished 5 years on an F1-visa in 2007 and therefore am a resident alien for tax purposes (2007 tax year). Can I claim the India-US Tax treaty ($ 5000 deduction) + standard individual deduction ( $5350) for the tax year ? Am I just being too greedy ? :D ...

Standard & Personal Deduction for resident alien couple? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there First of all thanks for creating this wonderful site. I have few questions for my taxes for 2006 I am resident alien (h1-b visa) (fits substantial presence test) married filing jointly. My wife is non-resident alien (f1 visa). We used 1040 to file our taxes and got following...

Standard deduction for non-resident? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few tax questions and would very much appreciate if AtlantaTaxExpert and other people with similar tax experience and expert knowledge share their knowledge. I am a Canadian citizen, worked in US (Minnesota) with TN-1 status since Nov, 2006. I am single. 1) Am I a non-resident alien...

View more questions Search