Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Me telling the truth? Remember Aquinas???
    Remember Judas?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 10:20 AM
    One big difference. It applies accurately only to you. I am happy to stick with the words of Jesus.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 10:30 AM
    I am happy to stick with the words of Jesus.
    No, what you really mean is you are happy with the words in a book. You have no idea what the words of Jesus were. Even less have you understood his message.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 10:35 AM
    You have no idea what the words of Jesus were. Even less have you understood his message.
    What an ignorant statement. On the one hand you claim that I don't know the words of Jesus. Now I quoted them repeatedly, so you are clearly saying that the text of the NT is not reliable and so the quotes cannot be relied upon to be accurate. OK, but then, having basically claimed that we cannot rely on the text of the NT, you claim His message can be understood. Wow. If we can't know what his message was, then how can ANYONE understand it? For that matter, if the NT is that unreliable, then why haven't you thrown yours away? Why would you care about what Jesus might have said or not said? You have closed the door behind yourself and locked yourself in. Oh this one is going to be great to show to youth groups! You are a never ceasing flow of valuable material.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 10:48 AM
    What an ignorant statement.
    As I've told you more than once, the words are mistranslated from the original Greek.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:14 AM
    Only the two or three that you happen not to like. And the fact that virtually no one who is an expert in the field agrees with you is pretty sobering.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:16 AM
    Only the two or three that you happen not to like. And the fact that virtually no one who is an expert in the field agrees with you is pretty sobering.
    You're certainly not an expert. You have never given a rational reply to the mistranslation. Citing others who have repeated the error is NOT a valid reply.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:24 AM
    Citing other people who are actually scholars and have spent a lifetime getting to know the subject is not a valid reply? Well, now I understand how you have arrived at this point.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:26 AM
    Citing other people who are actually scholars and have spent a lifetime getting to know the subject is not a valid reply? Well, now I understand how you have arrived at this point.
    Read my lips. Citing those who repeat the errors is not a valid reply.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:28 AM
    Read my lips. Refusing to accept the verdict of experts is sheer arrogance. But call them and offer your services. Might be tough. I'm pretty sure they have never heard of you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure they have never heard of you.
    I'm more than sure they've never heard of YOU!
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:35 AM
    Yeah, but I know it. I trust their expert knowledge. You are still under the illusion that you know better than they do.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 11:38 AM
    I trust their expert knowledge.

You shouldn't be so trusting. Use a little of your God-given brain and trust in yourself. You might learn something.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 12:20 PM
    The deal is this. The word translated "eternal" bothers you. You have come up with an alternative translation as used by Robert Young. "46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during." Now that's an extraordinarliy minorty translation, but even if we accept it, it presents several problems. 1. If hell is some temporary span, then so is heaven, for it is the same word in both instances. 2. Jesus still plainly says he is going to send people to hell, so you haven't solved that (for you) problem. 3. It is depicted by Jesus as a fiery place of torment for the unrighteous. 4. It was prepared for the devil, but if it's only temporary, then the devil himself will get out at some point.

So it seems that you are reduced to telling people that they should do whatever it is you think they should do lest they go to hell for merely an "age-during". Still doesn't sound good to me.

But even at that, the hundreds of committed scholars who have chosen to render the word as "eternal" trumps your two or three in spades. So if given the choice between believing you or believing them, I'm going with them. I think your argument for aionios is pretty lame (my word!), as is your dubious explanation for why nearly all scholars disagree with you.

Same thing with hell. Given the choice between believing you and believing what Jesus said, I'm going with Jesus.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 4, 2020, 05:50 PM
    Sorry. Didn't see your comment. Did I see instances of racism? Some, but as far as negative impacts on the lives of my students, it was miles away from being the biggest problem. Fatherless homes was far and away the biggest problem. I would say that an insufficient emphasis on the value of learning, beginning as toddlers all the way to seniors, would be in second place. People would get upset about our state flag. Well, I agree it should be changed and voted in favor of changing it, but changing the flag will not change the direction or prospects of a single life. Creating strong families would do far, far more good.
    It's not an easy thing to comfort those that have gone through traumatic life changing events, let alone guide them to good orderly direction, when they don't want to follow, for whatever reason. This isn't just a black problem, and all the conditions you criticize black people for are found throughout the society. I know it wasn't your intention to suggest only black people have the issues you cited, but I will note its suffered in America, and we have few solutions. Denying the results of racism or even acknowledging it though JL isn't a viable solution either.

I respectfully hope you can consider that despite 400 years of suppression and racist antics and tactics we continue forward and most black people will not fall for confessing our sins while we bear the sins of others. The same goes for the dufus claim of being our savior because we do have a lot to lose by listening to him sell us the snake oil. So I won't argue your observations, just your interpretations and approach to those observations.

Now send me some money for all those jobs black people did for free in building a nation and defending it always, while the whites take credit for it and enjoy the fruits of our labor, and to this day have no problem preaching about our problems and your solutions, instead of listening when we say your solutions are lip service to keep your knee on our necks literally.

Back pay for services rendered and cruelty and atrocities suffered, then maybe we can heal and move forward. No fruit accepted.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 06:49 PM
    all the conditions you criticize black people for are found throughout the society.
    That is very true and I agree completely. Any group that wants to can make great progress by learning to value the things that are truly valuable.

Now send me some money for all those jobs black people did for free in building a nation and defending it always, while the whites take credit for it and enjoy the fruits of our labor, and to this day have no problem preaching about our problems and your solutions, instead of listening when we say your solutions are lip service to keep your knee on our necks literally.
    And now the truth comes out. Why would I send you money? No one's knee is on your neck. But while we're at it, should you send money to the ancestors of the 350,000 union troops who died in the Civil War?

Back pay for services rendered and cruelty and atrocities suffered, then maybe we can heal and move forward. No fruit accepted.
    Nah. If some level of reparations are paid, then it will be another excuse. That's the problem with never wanting to face up to your own problems. It's always someone else's fault. Someone else should do it for me. I can't do things by myself.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2020, 06:59 PM
    That is very true and I agree completely. Any group that wants to can make great progress by learning to value the things that are truly valuable.
    Okay! Just wanted to verify it ain't just black people with issues.

And now the truth comes out. Why would I send you money? No one's knee is on your neck. But while we're at it, should you send money to the ancestors of the 350,000 union troops who died in the Civil War?
    What! They owe civil war soldiers too? Now that's bad. maybe the guys that started the Civil War should pay up. Oh wait you CAN"T! The south has been poor since they lost that war! They depend on welfare!

Nah. If some level of reparations are paid, then it will be another excuse. That's the problem with never wanting to face up to your own problems. It's always someone else's fault. Someone else should do it for me. I can't do things by myself.
    Back pay is fair for the reasons I cited and let's just forget all the excuses for with holding payment for services rendered, blood shed, and sweat popped! Pay up you deadbeat!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2020, 07:02 PM
    The deal is this. The word translated "eternal" bothers you. You have come up with an alternative translation as used by Robert Young. "46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during." Now that's an extraordinarliy minorty translation, but even if we accept it, it presents several problems. 1. If hell is some temporary span, then so is heaven, for it is the same word in both instances. 2. Jesus still plainly says he is going to send people to hell, so you haven't solved that (for you) problem. 3. It is depicted by Jesus as a fiery place of torment for the unrighteous. 4. It was prepared for the devil, but if it's only temporary, then the devil himself will get out at some point.

So it seems that you are reduced to telling people that they should do whatever it is you think they should do lest they go to hell for merely an "age-during". Still doesn't sound good to me.

But even at that, the hundreds of committed scholars who have chosen to render the word as "eternal" trumps your two or three in spades. So if given the choice between believing you or believing them, I'm going with them. I think your argument for aionios is pretty lame (my word!), as is your dubious explanation for why nearly all scholars disagree with you.

Same thing with hell. Given the choice between believing you and believing what Jesus said, I'm going with Jesus.
    Endless religious arguments again, this is not the religion discussion page. Yes, by all means go with Jesus and keep to the simplicity of the message. Jesus was not concerned about what the scholars of his day thought but kept to his message
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2020, 07:04 PM
    Pay up you deadbeat!
    Funny. Go to work and become a millionaire. Stop expecting others to give you anything. To be sure, slavery was a terrible part of our history, but it's been gone for 150 years. Put the pedal to the metal and go!
    Expert

Jun 4, 2020, 08:00 PM
    What part of back pay for services rendered are you not understanding? Seeking to ignore past actions of atrocity and cruelty is but an indictment of your inability to listen while you try to impose your solutions on those you dismiss and ignore.

The bigger act of cruelty is the unsympathetic and unapologetic manner in which you try to inflict your solutions on others. The bill for such actions has come do and none of your excuses means squat. Stop the preaching* and start reaching for that wallet** and una$$ some loot.***

*You JL specifically

**You JL should advocate for fairness and justice denied for centuries.

***Failure to pay up in a timely manner may be subject to further interest fees and legal actions.

This is an attempt to collect a DEBT and any information can be used to collect that DEBT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a bigger problem than I been addressing it as? [ 3 Answers ]

I married 8 months ago at the age of 20. We met online and talked for 2 years and then married only 2 months after meeting. I So I moved from the northwest all the way to the southeast to lie with him in his family's house. We knew before we married that we shared opposing religious beliefs. His...

Bigger bra [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I wear these little crop top thingys but they're too tight and leave marks. I really think I need a padded bra or a bigger bra but I'm too afraid to talk to my mum about it. What shall I do?

How do I tell my mom I need get a bigger cup bra [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to tell my mom that I need a another bigger bra, but right before I try to tell her I freeze up and say something totally off the wall. I try to tell her and my sisters are around her all the time. Also my sisters are saying to me go get a bra that fits or they will say go put on...

If my wife's vagina feels a lot bigger than usual, is she cheating? It's a lot bigger [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been together for 2+ years. We have had a lot of sex and her vagina always feels pretty much the same in terms of size. Lately we have been kind of distant and have not had much sex at all. I have been suspicious of her cheating recently. We have spent a couple of days apart. She...

Getting fit and bigger [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start getting bigger in muscle mass and fitter in running but I do not want to go stupid and end up looking weird and I am wondering if someone could help me, I will be in the gym at least 5 days a week 1 time a day but I do not know what exercises to do, I want to do a day on each muscle...

View more questions Search