Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 05:40 PM
    He wasn't next to the cop,
    10 ft is close enough to get hit by a taser .

still no justifiable homicide
    says the person who never walked a mile in cops shoes . You can have all the opinions you want about the shooting being justified .That's all it is ;opinion.

Here is what Georgia laws says about it .....
    a person can use deadly force "if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person."

https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-1...t-16-3-21.html

The Atlanta policy manual (updated last week )states that an officer can use deadly force when "He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others."
    http://www.djj.state.ga.us/policies/...ttachmentA.pdf

Tasers are hand-held electronic stun guns which fire two barbed darts up to a distance of 21 feet, which remain attached to the gun by wires. The fish-hook like darts are designed to penetrate up to two inches of the target's clothing or skin and deliver a high-voltage, low amperage, electro-shock along insulated copper wires. (a 50,000 volt shock) . More than 500 people have been killed when tasers were employed in the US according to Amnesty International . So yes there is a threat that being shot by a taser can be fatal.
    So the bottom line is that according to Georgia law it was completely justified and it followed the use of force policy guidelines .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    10 ft is close enough to get hit by a taser .

"...or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person."

"...result in serious bodily injury
    So why do cops carry them? I've seen videos of tasers being held against and released on an apprehended person's neck or other body part. Isn't carrying a gun sufficient?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The only question is was it a lawful use of force ? I might suggest that Rayshard Brooks dictated the options . The cops could NOT release him on his promise to walk home and they could not let him get back in the car after he failed a sobriety test . Mothers against drunk driving might take issue with that . He is the one who resisted arrest . He is the one who punched the cop in the face .He is the one who wrestled the taser away from the cop . He is the one who began to flee . He is the one who continued to engage the cop by turning and firing the taser at the cop. When you talk about the cops options maybe you should consider what Brooks could've done differently . These officers did not escalate the situation, . Brooks did.
    Brooks was under the influence and no doubt he screwed up. We don't need a hypothetical here he grabbed the taser broke free and ran. Those fact are not in dispute and neither is getting shot in the back while fleeing. The onus is on the cops decision to shoot when he did. Shooting a guy in the back though is homicide and nothing justifies that. Now if he had capped a real shot off, that could be justified returning fire.

That just ain't what happened. I know cops have a tough dangerous job, and yes they make mistakes in the heat of the situations, a fatal one as in this case.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    he grabbed the taser broke free and ran.
    And why couldn't the police just let him run? They had his car, could have gotten it towed or at least moved out of the way. They knew who he was and where to find him, I'm guessing.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 06:28 PM
    Yes. Let him run off with a Taser and possibly injure someone. That's a great plan.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Yes. Let him run off with a Taser and possibly injure someone. That's a great plan.
    And they are so expensive too! (If they handled it right, they'd get their taser back again.) And he won't injure someone if he doesn't have a taser!

And no effort was made to help the guy.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:34 PM
    He should have just called for back up at that point, and had some help, and charged the guy with a bunch of stuff. I can understand the cop not wanting a second physical confrontation since the first one didn't work out too well. He probably should have called for back up before telling him he would be arrested.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:35 PM
    Oh my, we can't allow him to run off with our taser, can we! Let's shoot him in the back instead!
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 06:39 PM
    "Oh my, we can't allow him to run off with our taser, can we!" says the woman who has zero experience with a taser or being a policeman.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:49 PM
    "Oh my, we can't allow him to run off with our taser, can we!" says the woman who has zero experience with a taser or being a policeman.
    Talking out of your backside again? You have no idea of my involvement with policemen.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 07:17 PM
    You have no idea of my involvement with policemen.
    Not interested in your personnel life. 8D. At any rate, I'm certain you know nothing about tasers or the daily experience of being a cop since you would never have made such a careless statement if you did.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 07:23 PM
    The guy passed the field sobriety tests and barely failed the breathalyzer, but they couldn't just let him walk home on a Friday night, just down the street? No he gets to spend the weekend in jail after talking to the cops for a half an hour. After seeing the new videos he wasn't drunk enough not to just walk home. Now what's wrong with that?
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 07:30 PM
    Not interested in your personnel life. 8D. At any rate, I'm certain you know nothing about tasers or the daily experience of being a cop since you would never have made such a careless statement if you did.
    Now you hard core law and order conservatives are getting pretty sexist. There is no justification for shooting a guy running home in the back, with a taser or not! I think it's pretty dumb to think it is, like he didn't have better options, than murder. Yeah get rid of bad cops and dumb ones too.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 07:37 PM
    Now you're egging me on to defend myself and tell you all about my experience with law enforcement. Won't work!

I just watched a video of the cop giving Brooks a sobriety test. The cop was trying every which way to antagonize him.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post

I just watched a video of the cop giving Brooks a sobriety test. The cop was trying every which way to antagonize him.
    The cop was doing his job. he didn't read him his rights but he could have been in no doubt he was going to be arrested, therefore why did he resist?
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 03:46 AM
    We'll never know that Clete, since he's dead. He was wrong to resist wrong in everything that followed true enough, after failing to convince the officers to give him a break. I'm convinced though, that other much better options besides shooting him in the back were available to the officers. That's where that de escalation training should have kicked in. The coroner ruled it a homicide and that means charges could be brought and the rest is a court matter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...de/ar-BB15tHrq

Bad judgement on both sides.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:09 AM
    Now you're egging me on to defend myself and tell you all about my experience with law enforcement. Won't work!
    I don't care if you defend yourself or not. Your comment told me all I needed to know.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:19 AM
    Let him walk home??? After falling asleep in his car and blocking a restaurant drive through, and then being found to be drunk? No way. In my world, that guy's going to be arrested. But I'll tell you how this lunacy is going to end. When the Wondergirls and the Tals of this world call 911 and get a busy signal, or the cops show up but refuse to get involved, then all of this anti-police rhetoric, along with the false narrative of black men being persecuted by the police, will begin to end. I look forward to that day.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:40 AM
    I'll predict now that the fired cop in Atlanta will never have to work again once he gets through suing the city of Atlanta. Murder charges? I can't imagine they will be able to make that stick.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:56 AM
    the false narrative of black men being persecuted by the police,
    In case there was any doubt about your racism, you have removed it once and for all with your statement above.

Amazing how you can make a sexist statement against WG re her knowledge about police when you yourself exhibit an ignorance about police procedure.

Add that to your clear self-indictment of your blatant racism. and you have lost all credibility here. Don't forget to put your statements in your little book.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a bigger problem than I been addressing it as? [ 3 Answers ]

I married 8 months ago at the age of 20. We met online and talked for 2 years and then married only 2 months after meeting. I So I moved from the northwest all the way to the southeast to lie with him in his family's house. We knew before we married that we shared opposing religious beliefs. His...

Bigger bra [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I wear these little crop top thingys but they're too tight and leave marks. I really think I need a padded bra or a bigger bra but I'm too afraid to talk to my mum about it. What shall I do?

How do I tell my mom I need get a bigger cup bra [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to tell my mom that I need a another bigger bra, but right before I try to tell her I freeze up and say something totally off the wall. I try to tell her and my sisters are around her all the time. Also my sisters are saying to me go get a bra that fits or they will say go put on...

If my wife's vagina feels a lot bigger than usual, is she cheating? It's a lot bigger [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been together for 2+ years. We have had a lot of sex and her vagina always feels pretty much the same in terms of size. Lately we have been kind of distant and have not had much sex at all. I have been suspicious of her cheating recently. We have spent a couple of days apart. She...

Getting fit and bigger [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start getting bigger in muscle mass and fitter in running but I do not want to go stupid and end up looking weird and I am wondering if someone could help me, I will be in the gym at least 5 days a week 1 time a day but I do not know what exercises to do, I want to do a day on each muscle...

View more questions Search