Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2020, 06:39 PM
    Trump taunts China
    Once again the buffoon in the White House has threatened to destroy world peace. This time he has theatened to cut off all trade with China. it might have been a casual comment in an interview, a maybe, but the Chinese has responded with venom

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...1143695acbc320

Chinese response is if you do that, we will take Taiwan. I can't really see the connection but in the Chinese mind Taiwanese freedom is directly associated with trade with China. Trump bluffed China into trade concessions, is this latest attack more of the same?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2020, 04:07 AM
    Now Clete you know it's silly season and the dufus has to drum up his base with hate talk. The Chinese know that so they give it back just like they get it. He got no trade concessions from them so far, I mean none, so don't fall for the spin. He just wants to keep the farmers from rioting on the WH lawn, or worse dumping his a$$ for screwing up their money for nothing.

They are really sensitive about this pandemic though, and rightfully so.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Now Clete you know it's silly season and the dufus has to drum up his base with hate talk. The Chinese know that so they give it back just like they get it. He got no trade concessions from them so far, I mean none, so don't fall for the spin. He just wants to keep the farmers from rioting on the WH lawn, or worse dumping his a$$ for screwing up their money for nothing.

They are really sensitive about this pandemic though, and rightfully so.
    Well you might think the Chinese engage in rhetoric, but the reality on this side of the world is different
    Expert

May 15, 2020, 08:33 AM
    When a saber is rattled, they rattle back, but make no mistake they are very capable of more, and will exploit any weakness that serves their interest, and press any advantage to gain leverage.

Probably freaks them out we didn't dump this fool when we had a chance, but no doubt hope the elections produce a better outcome. They play the long game Clete.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 10:14 AM
    Ok what do you do with a country of 1.4 billion people that controls nuclear weapons and also controls a great deal of the world's commerce that deliberately withheld information about a virus that originated in their country that ended up infecting over 2 million people and counting ... and will kill over a half million people .. including 85,000 Americans and counting ... Ended travel from Wuhan in their country but allowed travel from Wuhan outside their country in what was an apparent and deliberate attempt to create a worldwide pandemic (even if there is a remote possibility that the virus did not originate in their wmd lab in Wuhan ) ?

You tell me what we are supposed to do with that ? The economic damage to the world has yet to be calculated ;but it measure with the 1930s global collapse . In NYC this attack was far worse than the 9-11 ;and you know how we responded to that . We are still fighting jihadistan .

Candidate Michael Bloomberg said the Chinese government was a consensual government and he was arranging financial liquidity to companies that we know are controlled by the central communist government in China . Bill Gates and the GREAT SCIENTIST Tony Fauci said they thought the Chinese response to C-9 was proper . Our government agencies NIH and CDC diverted funds to help set up the labs in Wuhan . It makes it hard to point an accusing finger when so many Americans are embedded in the Chinese web (and let's not bring up the apparent Democrat nominee and his family Chinese corruption) .

The American people know the truth . I would find it very hard to believe the American people are going to accept the Chinese sneak attack and go back to status quo ante .Common sense Americans knew before this that China was a foe and a threat . That is one of the reasons Trump was elected . We the people know that the Wuhan virology lab was the source of the virus . WE the people know the Chinese covered that up . WE the people know that the Chinese took a hit and decided to share the pain with the rest of the world . Our conduct is going to change regarding relations with China . I don't know that the swamp critters know that yet . But they will soon enough . WE the people know we are too dependent on the supply chain from China for critical and strategic goods . That is going to change .

The Chinese have been telling our allies that we are not dependable allies . Well just watch us . We have Taiwan's back . I once had my doubts ;but not anymore . And that goes for Japan and S Korea ;and the Philippines ;Vietnam ,India and yes ......even Australia .
    Expert

May 15, 2020, 12:42 PM
    While I can agree with much of what you say to a great extent, the dufus is not the guy to guide us through this relationship with China. In fact if he hasn't shown in the last 3 years to be the absolute wrong guy for this and any other foreign and domestic endeavor, then woe be to us. I mean doesn't say much that we elected a person of his background in the first place and we the people are to blame.

You don't hire a hammer to build a computer and that's exactly what we did in a great zeal to prove whatever. We the people screwed this up big time and will have to fix it big time. Like you said, the Chinese as an example have their ways and being dependent on them for anything is rather foolish given they have a stick as big as ours, but the world is to small to ignore them or anyone else for that matter, and a true leader deals with them where common interest lies and resolutely where it does not.

Can you blame other countries for scratching their heads and wondering WHAT THE FREAK?
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 03:14 PM
    umm it was the emperor's policies that had our allies in the region scratching their head . (well the Bushes and Clintoons were patsies also) The emperor "pivoted " to Asia and created another foreign policy fiasco for the US. In his time China strengthened their territorial claims in the South China Sea unchecked . In his efforts to improve relations with the Chinese he alienated our allies in the region . It was during the emperor's watch that the Chinese told our friends the US was no longer reliable allies and they should hitch onto the Chinese train before it is too late .
    Expert

May 15, 2020, 03:30 PM
    Wrap your head around the Chinese being formidable within there own part of the world (And well beyond) and we would be very foolish to directly militarily confront them. Look at a map, the South China Sea is in there backyard, not ours. We have hardware so do they.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLI8KE6Ctbw
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 03:51 PM
    The South China sea is not their lake . All the surrounding countries have territorial claims We do not make claims to the resources of the nations in the Gulf of Mexico. And we have never disputed the right of China and Russia to navigate those seas. Most of the commerce that travels by sea pass through territory China is making claim to . It is outrageous and intollerable and cannot stand .
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The South China sea is not their lake . All the surrounding countries have territorial claims We do not make claims to the resources of the nations in the Gulf of Mexico. And we have never disputed the right of China and Russia to navigate those seas. Most of the commerce that travels by sea pass through territory China is making claim to . It is outrageous and intollerable and cannot stand .
    Yeh and the Pacific is not your lake. You project power with aircraft carriers, the Chinese project power with something more permanent. They are going through their colonial period now, whereas much of the world is post colonial. No doubt the Chinese have declared the South China Sea as terra nullius and see it as their manifest destiny to exploit it. Has a familiar ring to it, doesn't it. You exploit the Caribean for resources, how is it different? Some better relations with your neighbours, perhaps
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 04:59 PM
    glad you admit that the premise of your post is an untruth . It is the Chinese that threaten world peace .
    Expert

May 15, 2020, 05:35 PM
    Yeah Clete we're peacekeepers. Defending the little dogs against the big bad wolf!
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 05:56 PM
    We have Taiwan's back.
    We didn't under Nixon when it counted and he bailed on Taiwan.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2020, 07:54 PM
    Yeah Clete we're peacekeepers. Defending the little dogs against the big bad wolf!
    you are just the alpha male in the pack over the mountain. you are peacekeepers, tell that to the people of iraq
    Expert

May 16, 2020, 02:26 AM
    Don't have to, they are a major trading partner in the ME.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2020, 06:16 AM
    Don't have to, they are a major trading partner in the ME.
    Only because you coerced them into it and you have few friends there
    Expert

May 16, 2020, 07:34 AM
    They want capital and a good economy most of them, since they aren't threatened by ISIS as much though small factions remain. We have those here in America, they are loony right wingers and everybody has some version of these nutjobs.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2020, 09:54 AM
    We didn't under Nixon when it counted and he bailed on Taiwan.
    loll 47 years ago. And all Nixon did was open up China . Our policy regarding Taiwan has been strategically vague since the Communist takeover of China . But everyone knows the US will come to their defense . More likely they would give the ChiComs a nose bleed without our direct intervention .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2020, 10:49 AM
    loll 47 years ago. And all Nixon did was open up China . Our policy regarding Taiwan has been strategically vague since the Communist takeover of China
    You couldn't be more wrong. For over 20 years the US defended Taiwan from Chinese aggression by the US Navy patrolling the Straits of Formosa and by stationing thousands of US troops on Taiwan. When Nixon carried out his rapproachement with the Chinese, the US bailed on its defensive agreement with Taiwan and soon removed all US military from the island.

But everyone knows the US will come to their defense.
    I don't think "everyone knows that". With Trump at the helm, he's liable to send a love letter to the Chinese if they take over Taiwan.

More likely they (the US) would give the ChiComs a nose bleed without our direct intervention.
    Spoken like a true cold warrior. Except for the sad fact of Trump in the WH could barely manage a war considering how badly he is managing a virus.
    Expert

May 17, 2020, 04:40 AM
    I think what we are seeing in this complicated world is the dufus feeding his base, at the sacrifice of doing his job in an effective manner. Not saying China is a victim of that at all, nor absolving them of anything, they have much to answer for, but obviously they have had enough of being a verbal whipping boy of a fools personal agenda, and must save face some kind of way. Bad enough the world blames them for the current crisis that disrupts us, maybe rightfully so, we don't know at this point, despite the emotional backlash of being helpless in it's wake, but listening to the drone of constant personal badmouthing has to be downright infuriating. Nobody but a sychophant cowers to those bully tactics so understandable China rattles it's saber at such saber rattling.

That the dufus exploits this emotion for personal gain though is pretty despicable, considering his own performance thus far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

Awful taunts, [ 2 Answers ]

Im 19 years old, I was raised by my mum and step father, they gave me an amazing childhood, then I moved in with my grandmother because of family problems, at this age I was 13. I began high school, I wasn't very popular, I didn't have many friends, and getting bullied was day to day for me, the...

View more questions Search