Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 05:16 PM
    Now you guys are talking behind my back!
    Not true. She had referred to herself as a "committed grammarian". I guess she didn't believe me, so I sent her the link to the post.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2020, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    What exactly do you hope to accomplish by early testing ?
    All due respect, Tom. Here's some good info from the American Heart Association.

When a communicable disease outbreak begins, the ideal response is for public health officials to begin testing for it early. Early testing helps to identify anyone who came into contact with infected people so they too can be quickly treated.

While we are obviously not in that ideal situation with COVID-19, testing remains critical.

It's crucial of course to help treat, isolate or hospitalize people who are infected. Testing also is important in the bigger public health picture on mitigation efforts, helping investigators characterize the prevalence, spread and contagiousness of the disease.

In comparison to China and South Korea, testing in the United States appears to have been insufficient for optimal early containment. And now we're seeing a rapid rise in hospitalizations that is overwhelming public health systems and clinical care systems.

There are more details at the link below.

( https://www.heart.org/en/news/2020/0...s-so-important)
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2020, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    you concocted a fake quote by Trump ("injecting disinfectant") in an effort to distort what he actually said. Athos did the same thing is saying that Trump encouraged insurrection and called upon people to "storm statehouses", a comment he never made

Huh? "Athos concocted a false quote in an effort to distort..."

Where (and what exactly) is the false quote?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 26, 2020, 03:14 AM
    While the Orange in Chief didn't specifically say to inject or ingest these agents the comments have been enough to cause the big manufacturers to issues statements advising against any such actions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52411706

From an external to America viewpoint, the average Orange supporter, certainly the most vocal group, (I'm not talking party lines here) isn't renown for their common sense or actual inelegance..
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2020, 05:05 AM
    "Trump calls for insurrection."

"Republicans will turn a blind eye. But history books will say: In April of 2020, when the pandemic had already claimed 35,000 lives, the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s."

Athos, granted that those are not quotes, but they are largely fabrications as to what the pres actually said. Now if you want to insist that you accurately reflected Trump's comments, then supply the quotes where he mentions insurrection, storming statehouses, or AK's.

isn't renown for their common sense or actual inelegance
    Inelegance? I'm not really what you would call a Trump supporter, but I did vote for him, so I suppose I lack elegance in many ways. Didn't even realize it was all that important.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2020, 05:13 AM
    inelegance.. I plead guilty . I am not inelegant .

Athos The value to testing is to determine a denominator .
    As an example ; a new study out of USC has preliminary results that suggest the infection rate could be as high as 50x greater than has been reported ,
    as many as 442,000 adult residents of Los Angeles County may have already been infected.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...t2Nfe7sHskvjWQ
    This is the second study in 2 days released that did antibody testing . The tests everyone says we are not doing enough of is a snapshot in time . The person tested negative today could be positive a week from now with exposure.
    The link you gave shows that the antibody tests allows us to know who has been infected .With that information we know that person has immunity ;and plasma from them can be used treating other patients . That may also be the key to developing a vaccine .
    Are you familiar with
    Variolation ?
    It was the 18th century equivalent to the small pox vaccine.
    It was a method of removing a pox from one person and placing it on a scratch of another person. That person would get a mild case of small pox ,but then would have immunity for the rest of their lives . The Brits that came over to fight the Americans in 1777 generally had immunity to the small pox .But the Continental soldiers did not ;and small pox was in epidemic stages in some parts of the colonies . Washington made a decision in February 1777 to
    Variolate the entire Continental Army. It was a success. Although surgeons had to deal with a variety of diseases throughout the war . One that was of little concern for the army was small pox .

Anyway ,The good news about both studies is that it confirms ;when factoring in the denominator ,that the virus is far less deadly than we thought . Protect the high risk and let the rest of the country go back to their lives .
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2020, 05:26 AM
    Anyway ,The good news about both studies is that it confirms ;when factoring in the denominator ,that the virus is far less deadly than we thought . Protect the high risk and let the rest of the country go back to their lives .
    That was an interesting study and your conclusion seems sensible.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 26, 2020, 07:28 AM
    The problem with your news is you cannot say that recovered people have immunity for life and cannot be re-infected, or the degree of infection without testing everyone. How do you protect the high risk without testing everyone they come in contact with? How do you even know your death count is accurate without testing all the dead? Was it a heart kidney organ failure, or coronavirus as the root cause? Looks like we will have the opportunity though to observe what happens when we ease restrictions and allow people back to work in repub governed states and see how it works. We will know much more in 30 days so what's the real rush here.

Obviously I take issue with less deadly, and minimizing the actual suffering. We can't treat this like the flu because it's NOT. I understand the desperation from those that suddenly ain't got no money, but part of protecting the high risk group is minimizing the spread of this virus in my opinion, and ignoring that fact puts us all at risk.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2020, 07:46 AM
    The problem with your news is you cannot say that recovered people have immunity for life and cannot be re-infected, or the degree of infection without testing everyone.
    Tal there is no scenario where you are going to get EVERYONE to be tested . Even in a health emergency we still have rights . You protect the high risk similar to what we are doing now . Isolation during outbreaks ,and quarantine the sick (never before have we ever quarantined the healthy . )

How do you even know your death count is accurate without testing all the dead? Was it a heart kidney organ failure, or coronavirus as the root cause?
    You could always use il duce Cuomo's assumptions that all death of covid positive people is caused by the virus .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2020, 09:53 AM

"Republicans will turn a blind eye. But history books will say: In April of 2020, when the pandemic had already claimed 35,000 lives, the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s."

Athos, granted that those are not quotes, but they are largely fabrications as to what the pres actually said.
    You sorta like liberally paraphrased what Athos had posted? And then put it inside quotation marks....

paraphrase
    [ˈperəˌfrāz]
    VERB
    paraphrased (past tense) · paraphrased (past participle)

• express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

Expert

Apr 26, 2020, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Tal there is no scenario where you are going to get EVERYONE to be tested . Even in a health emergency we still have rights . You protect the high risk similar to what we are doing now . Isolation during outbreaks ,and quarantine the sick (never before have we ever quarantined the healthy . )
    Never before have we had this virus. Sure we could test everybody once we settle on the best test. We'll probably get that before a vaccine. How else would you know who is sick, healthy, or asymptomatic without testing. Dangerous to assume a healthy looking person who may be asymptomatic can't infect someone unintentionally. To avoid assuming you quarantine as many as possible.

The real problem is that folks use to working and doing stuff are getting antsy and will take risks for the previous normal because they ain't got that money coming in. Our capitalist society, so highly prized is not solving this problem quickly enough, and the dufus weakened central government, prized by some is not helping either, and states ain't come up with a solution because they are basically playing catch up as a reaction. Even the dufus show failed to calm the masses and guide us through this thing.

The only good news for us is nobody else has really lapped the field and conquered this virus either.

You could always use il duce Cuomo's assumptions that all death of covid positive people is caused by the virus .
    A practical assumption but did that 40 year old die from a stroke, or a virus induced heart attack? Not to long ago we classified things for example Aids related new pneumonia, or cancer related complications, but until you test the untested who die, we cannot know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You sorta like liberally paraphrased what Athos had posted? And then put it inside quotation marks....

paraphrase
    [ˈperəˌfrāz]
    VERB
    paraphrased (past tense) · paraphrased (past participle)

• express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

We got the meaning and intent, but dufus supporter need exact language or any criticism gets dismissed. How convenient...on any topic.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2020, 11:02 AM
    If you are going to keep posting, then PLEASE, PLEASE educate yourself enough to post accurately. I quoted Athos exactly. (Remember..."Chicago paraphrase"?) You are now the "committed UNgrammarian". It really gets sickening.

We got the meaning and intent, but dufus supporter need exact language or any criticism gets dismissed. How convenient...on any topic.
    I assure you if I am looking for exact language, I will likely look elsewhere.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2020, 02:24 PM
    Athos, granted that those are not quotes
    That's all that needs to be said. If further explanation desired, see CurlyBen's post # 64.

I quoted Athos exactly.
    Somebody is confused. His usual state of affairs

You are now the "committed UNgrammarian". It really gets sickening.
    The only sickening thing here is your claim to be an educator. Why do you consistently bash WG?
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2020, 03:24 PM
    Somebody is confused. His usual state of affairs
    I have posted below what I posted, and then I posted from your original post. Now maybe you're seeing something that the rest of the world is not seeing. I just don't know what your complaint is. The only thing I left out was the pic which is the norm for quoting. It is otherwise word for word what you stated, otherwise known as a direct quote. There was no paraphrase of your post.

Now complain if you want to that I referred to your comments as a quote. I'll take the blame for that, but it doesn't erase the fact that you misrepresented what the pres said. He said nothing that you could have honestly described in the way you did.

What I posted.

What you posted and I copied.

Trump Calls for Insurrection

Republicans will turn a blind eye. But history books will say: In April of 2020, when the pandemic had already claimed 35,000 lives, the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s.

Why do you consistently bash WG?
    It's not my intention to "bash" anyone, but she knows what has caused this problem in the past few days. When she claims, for instance, that I "liberally" paraphrased you when in fact I copied and pasted your exact statement, then it has become past ridiculous.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2020, 08:07 PM
    maybe you're seeing something that the rest of the world is not seeing.
    It's very apparent that the rest of the world is seeing EXACTLY what I'm seeing. The not-seeing is all yours.

There was no paraphrase of your post.
    You are clueless in many things. As a literalist, there is much beyond paraphrasing that you miss. Trump communicates to his flock in more ways than one. Google "dog whistle" to learn one way.

it doesn't erase the fact that you misrepresented what the pres said.
    After checking "dog whistle", come back here and admit that I represented EXACTLY what he said. Good grief! Did you look at the picture on the statehouse steps with armed protestors.?

He said nothing that you could have honestly described in the way you did.
    My description was perfectly honest to anyone who can read and understand. Like a lot of Trump supporters, you're not among that group. You prove it here almost every time you post.

the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s.
    "Incite" would have been a better choice of words, but "calls for" is essentially the same meaning here.

It's not my intention to "bash" anyone,
    It sure looks like your intention. How is bashing not your intention when you do the bashing?

When she claims, for instance, that I "liberally" paraphrased you when in fact I copied and pasted your exact statement, then it has become past ridiculous.
    What is ridiculous is someone who claims to be an educator cannot understand how the English language is written and spoken. Something WG knows far better than you.
    Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 03:20 AM
    If said protest were peaceful, why did they bring their guns?
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 04:40 AM
    OK. Have it your way, Athos. Evidently in your world copying and pasting exactly another person's words amounts to a liberal paraphrase. Just be aware that in the world outside of your head, it doesn't.

My description was perfectly honest to anyone who can read and understand. Like a lot of Trump supporters, you're not among that group. You prove it here almost every time you post.
    Of course you are right. Employing provocative and inaccurate descriptions of a person's words is completely honest...in your world, at least.
    Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 05:05 AM
    OK. Have it your way, Athos. Evidently in your world copying and pasting exactly another person's words amounts to a liberal paraphrase. Just be aware that in the world outside of your head, it doesn't.

Of course you are right. Employing provocative and inaccurate descriptions of a person's words is completely honest...in your world, at least.
    1. A head count would settle this so My vote is for Athos.

2. If the dufus does it and YOU, why can't everybody else do it?
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:09 AM
    My vote is for Athos.
    He is correct in what way, that copying and pasting the exact words of a person is paraphrasing? Surely you are not going to go down that dark road of ignorance. But if you are, then be sure to also cast your vote for the proposition that 2 + 2 = 6. One is about as correct as the other.

If the dufus does it and YOU, why can't everybody else do it?
    People do it all the time, but you can't do it and then call it honest and accurate. Well actually, of course, you can, but then that makes you dishonest and inaccurate.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:21 AM
    Sometimes we need a laugh on this board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search