Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    What they did is similar to what you did. Not trying to be ugly, but you concocted a fake quote by Trump ("injecting disinfectant") in an effort to distort what he actually said.
    That is NOT what tal did!!!! You still don't understand, do you!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 12:13 PM
    Oh stop with it. That's exactly what he did. He even admitted to it. Haven't you disgraced yourself enough?

Read it here. "I didn't assign the quotes and maybe it would be grammatically correct to do so, or stipulate I was paraphrasing..." So yeah, he was giving a direct quote and as you well know, you cannot give a direct quote and then say you were paraphrasing. Doesn't work that way, not even for liberal dems. You have officially vacated your "grammar expert" position. Sad.

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 12:17 PM
    Oh stop with it. That's exactly what he did. He even admitted to it. Haven't you disgraced yourself enough?

Read it here. "I didn't assign the quotes and maybe it would be grammatically correct to do so, or stipulate I was paraphrasing..." So yeah, he was giving a direct quote which existed nowhere but in his own mind. And, I suppose, in your's as well, and that's a scary thought. You have officially vacated your "grammar expert" position. Sad.
    He was paraphrasing!!!!

(Definition: a restatement of a text or passage giving the meaning in another form, as for clearness; rewording.)
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 12:20 PM
    Sure he was. He was paraphrasing using quotation marks. Is that how it's taught in Chicago???

"Bizarre", "Lunacy", "Dangerous"
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 12:44 PM
    https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-par...ations-2831595

5. If you need to use an interesting word or phrase from the original text, use quotation marks to indicate that it is not your own.

Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 12:59 PM
    5. If you need to use an interesting word or phrase from the original text, use quotation marks to indicate that it is not your own.
    If you had taken the link to quotation marks, you would have discovered this. "Keep in mind that direct quotations repeat a speaker's exact words. In contrast, indirect quotations are summaries or paraphrases of someone else's words. Don't use quotation marks around indirect quotations." (emphasis mine)

I can't believe we are even having this ridiculous conversation. I'll just do this. I will agree that in your world and your mind, a person can paraphrase by putting the words in quotation marks, thus making it only appear to everyone else on the planet that it is a direct quotation and not a paraphrase.
    Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 01:11 PM
    What do you expect from a blue collar worker?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 01:37 PM
    Sure he was. He was paraphrasing using quotation marks. Is that how it's taught in Chicago???
    Paraphrasing: a restatement of a text or passage giving the meaning in another form, as for clearness; rewording.

And always a put-down....
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 01:44 PM
    I don't need to put you down. You're doing a great job of it yourself, but have it your way. Everyone in your world should use quotation marks to indicate a paraphrase. Fine. The rest of the world will do otherwise.

What do you expect from a blue collar worker?
    I understand your intent. No problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 01:51 PM
    I can't believe we are even having this ridiculous conversation. I'll just do this. I will agree that in your world and your mind, a person can paraphrase by putting the words in quotation marks, thus making it only appear to everyone else on the planet that it is a direct quotation and not a paraphrase.
    It. Was. Not. A. Direct. Quotation.

You are such a "cranky curmudgeon"! (Who am I quoting? No one. I am paraphrasing and sweetening up what I REALLY think.)
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 02:02 PM
    "injecting disinfectant"

You're right. That is certainly not a direct quotation. It's a "Chicago paraphrase". We'll just call it that from now on.

I might let you re-earn your "grammar expert" status. It'll really take some work.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 02:59 PM
    It's a "Chicago paraphrase".

I might let you re-earn your "grammar expert" status. It'll really take some work.
    I'm not from Chicago nor have I ever lived in Chicago.

Why are you even mentioning me as a grammar expert? If you look at my profile, these are my expert categories:
    Careers, Customer Service, Interview Questions, Job Hunting, Learning Disabilities, Parenting, Resumes, Writing
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 03:02 PM
    But you have stated before you live near Chicago, so "Chicago paraphrase" it is. I like that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 03:03 PM
    But you have stated before you live near Chicago, so "Chicago paraphrase" it is. I like that.
    Don't tempt me....
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 03:11 PM
    "injecting disinfectant"
    It's called embalming.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 03:21 PM
    A "committed grammarian" is the term you used of yourself a few months back. That's what I'm going on. Notice that I designated the two words as a Chicago paraphrase. Sadly, being recognized as a committed grammarian is off the table until you redeem yourself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 03:34 PM
    A "committed grammarian" is the term you used of yourself a few months back. That's what I'm going on. Notice that I designated the two words as a Chicago paraphrase. Sadly, being recognized as a committed grammarian is off the table until you redeem yourself.
    Please PM me the entire quote. I don't remember ever describing myself that way.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2020, 04:04 PM
    Done.
    Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 05:06 PM
    Now you guys are talking behind my back! That's just great!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2020, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Now you guys are talking behind my back! That's just great!
    He'd called me a "committed liberal". I had corrected him. I asked for a PM from him so this thread wouldn't go off-topic. Bwahahahahahaha!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search