Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gentleman2222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2020, 08:23 PM
    Could I write off my startup expenses this year even tho I have not had any revenues?
    This question is in regard to U.S. Income Tax Laws.
    If you understand these laws, please kindly respond:

This year I incurred startup expenses for some companies
    I am in the process of establishing. My questions are:

1) Could I write off my startup expenses this year
    even though I have not had any revenues from my startup
    companies? (I do have interest income this year from my bank
    account)
    2) If not, could I write off these expenses when
    I realize revenues from my startup companies?

Thank you kindly in advance for your answers!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 1, 2020, 11:35 AM
    This is something a tax professional could advise you on because it is going to vary greatly by the situation you have created.

In general if the company / business is held seperate then it means it is to stand on its own so you having interest income does not affect your coporate tax return. Again it all matters in how everything is set up. Also there are some rules as to what can be written off as a whole vs over time as in a amortized deduction that can roll over for several years.

Please see a professional in your area who can review what your needs are and how to apply them to your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain why revenues revenues and expenses recorded in profit and loss account [ 1 Answers ]

You are required to explain to a friend without no accounting knowledge why revenues and expenses recorded in profit and loss account do not necessarily represent receipt and payments made during the period which the profit and loss account covers. Use 3 examples.

Matching revenues and expenses [ 4 Answers ]

The concept of matching revenues and expenses refers to what?

Calculating revenues, expenses, and income [ 2 Answers ]

Please help Fill in the blanks in the following separate income statements a through e. Identify any negative Amount by putting it in parentheses. A b c d e Sales.. . $60,000...

Expenses or revenues [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to calculate the net income of a company from information that is available from its recent fiscal year. I know how to calculate net income, but I am asking if the following are expenses or revenues. - cash sales - sales on account - interest earned on investment (I think...

View more questions Search