Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Mar 31, 2020, 06:50 AM
    Combining Pex Pipe & Copper Pipe ??
    The Job is one of those "Why Did They Do That".. Have an Inline Shutoff Valve on the Cold Water line to the Kitchen Sink, just decided to start leaking.. Fortunately the leak is coming from the Nut on the right side of the valve itself so I can still shut off the water to stop the leak.. There is Hot & Cold Water Valves in the Furnace Room way before the Problem.. My Question is as it is 1/2" Copper Pipe throughout the House and to Repair there isn't any wiggle room and the Copper Pipe is tight in place. The leaky valve is a 5 1/2" long casing with shutoff lever at one end.. I did try and snug up the leaky nut but that just increased the Drips. What I'm thinking of doing is just remove the valve assembly all together and Replace with a piece of Pex Pipe and use SharkBite fittings (reason for Pex is the flexibility to fit back in place due to the confinement) I said all this because I was told Copper and Pex don't Mix , it would still Leak ?? Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 31, 2020, 11:47 AM
    I think I would try fixing the shut off valve leak in place, before I started replacing stuff. Its usually an o ring thats bad, found after shutting off the supply to that line, and taking the valve apart via removing the lever arm to get to the valve stem and removing the packing nut.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumb...shutoff-valve/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYGMbOO408

Does your valve look like this? This series explains the valves inner workings and notice the O rings on the valve stem. That's where I think your leak is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9L8ul4p2cY

Watch all 5 or so before you decide what's the best way to go about it and pex and copper video is included.

Mar 31, 2020, 01:20 PM
    @ {talaniman...Upon 1st Inspection I noticed No Plumber's Tape on the threads at either end where the Nuts turned in to tighten.. I thought of loosening the Nut where the source of the leak is and applying some Plumber's Tape ?? The entire Brass assembly is 5 1/2" long with a 1" long Lever Arm in the middle (inline it's on / 1/4 turn up it's off)Truthfully just what useful purpose it does because it doesn't have anything else split off from it ?? Hence using the Pex Pipe and so on ??
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 1, 2020, 05:09 AM
    Hi Norplan

You can certainly use PEX tubing and sharkbite fittings to make a repair, however, sharkbite type fittings require a good amount of flexibility in the pipe to install (if in between inflexible copper pipe), so you would need to purchase a sharkbite REPAIR COUPLING...see image.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  5.6 KB

I would probably cut off the old inline shut off valve and run black or white colored PEX tubing to a new shutoff under the sink...that is probably fastest and even cheapest solution in the end.

Back to you...

Mark

Apr 1, 2020, 05:35 AM
    Leaky Valve
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Norplan

You can certainly use PEX tubing and sharkbite fittings to make a repair, however, sharkbite type fittings require a good amount of flexibility in the pipe to install (if in between inflexible copper pipe), so you would need to purchase a sharkbite REPAIR COUPLING...see image.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  5.6 KB

Back to you...

Mark
    Being 3rd or 4th Owner one has to be prepared for surprises and this is one of them, the Valve is in the Ceiling of the Basement Rec room , there is 2 Heat Vent covers in the ceiling about 6' apart.. One is a Dummy which Thankfully gives access to the Inline Valve which as I say has No Useful purpose.. Cheers Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I hook copper pipe to stainless steel pipe in a potable water situaion [ 4 Answers ]

I have a stainless steel tank inside my wood stove for heating domestic water and would like to connect to copper pipe to run to my hot water heater. Connections are outside of the wood stove. Was hooked to galvanized pipe. Big mistake. Totally clogged. Trying to avoid corrosion.

Attaching copper faucet to copper pipe attached to plastic pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I have plastic piping in the house which leads outside and then copper piping is outside with a facet attached.. I need to change the facet with torch and solder... if I heat the old one to remove with this heat travel down the copper pipe through the wall and affect the plastic pipe.. I am worried...

Galvanized pipe to either Copper/CPVC pipe [ 14 Answers ]

I had a leak in my cold water feed which happens to be galvanized pipe. It was between 2 floors and I cut out the affected section. I am going to replace the cut out section with either copper or CPVC. But how does one connect unthreaded galvanized pipe to the after mentioned pipes? I don't know if...

Combining PVC pipe and ABS pipe.Bad Idea Jeans? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a bathroom and mistakenly did my drainage using pvc pipe. My house had ABS, and we used some of the ABS that we cut out together with the PVC. This was all glued together with PVC primer and cement. I didn't realize that the black pipe was not pvc until tonight when I was...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search