Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2020, 05:29 AM
    Big Brother has arrived
    The police state is here, telephone technology can tell you if you have been exposed before your symptoms show

]https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-30/coronavirus-track-infection-spread-mobile-phone-technology/12101960

and in the aftermath what else will this technology be used for. It is a massive invasion of privacy
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 30, 2020, 06:22 AM
    It's more accurately a doctor state Clete, but your fear of a police state seems to over ride that caveat. If that's the case then deal with the virus ravaging the country, and the deaths that follow, as you get that cure ready for the victims.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2020, 07:51 AM
    those a$$wipes on the beach forfeited their privacy by being jack a$$es . A civil society can only survive if the people act morally . Morality often requires that people sacrifice short term interests for the greater good WITHOUT being compelled to do so . John Adams and most of the Founders understood this . They rejected a state religion .But they knew civil society would not survive if the people were not moral .

While our country remains untainted with the principles and manners which are now producing desolation in so many parts of the world; while she continues sincere, and incapable of insidious and impious policy, we shall have the strongest reason to rejoice in the local destination assigned us by Providence. But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation, while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candour, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the world. Because we have no government, armed with power, capable of contending with human passions, unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams,'Thoughts On Government Applicable To The Present State Of The American Colonies.'
    Expert

Mar 30, 2020, 08:01 AM
    I agree Tom, that quote by Adams explains the state of our current affairs, we have a lot of a$$wipes that get in the way of the Good Orderly Direction we all need to address this crisis. My glass is half full though as everyday we get more examples of not just people doing the right moral thing, but for the right reasons too.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2020, 08:09 AM
    I don't see the distinction between the right moral thing and the right reason .
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2020, 08:18 AM
    here is another example

https://www.newbalance.com/made-medi...1_LP__10757_MW
    Expert

Mar 30, 2020, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I don't see the distinction between the right moral thing and the right reason .
    I believe it's an inevitable fact that some sheeple will follow a good example, and some will follow a bad example.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2020, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    It's more accurately a doctor state Clete, but your fear of a police state seems to over ride that caveat. If that's the case then deal with the virus ravaging the country, and the deaths that follow, as you get that cure ready for the victims.
    we are dealing with the virus ravaging my country with severe restrictions on personal liberty, however the article I posted speaks of something more, the surveillance state made possible by the ubiquitous mobile phone
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2020, 03:17 PM
    I believe it's an inevitable fact that some sheeple will follow a good example, and some will follow a bad example.

How did that answer Tom's question? "I don't see the distinction between the right moral thing and the right reason ."

the surveillance state made possible by the ubiquitous mobile phone
    It certainly is something to watch.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2020, 03:22 PM
    You'll have to ask Tom if my comment made sense to him. If it didn't to you why not?

Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    we are dealing with the virus ravaging my country with severe restrictions on personal liberty, however the article I posted speaks of something more, the surveillance state made possible by the ubiquitous mobile phone
    You don't trust your own government not to use your data in a nefarious way? Me either, but one would hope in this instance it's for a greater good that saves lives.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2020, 03:23 PM
    Your quote was, "doing the right moral thing, but for the right reasons too." Tom asked how they were different. Your reply about people following good or bad examples seemed to have nothing to do with your statement, but if you're happy with it, then so am I.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2020, 03:32 PM
    You've never seen people do the right thing just for profit?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2020, 03:38 PM
    In that case you would have to define what you mean by "the right thing". If you are referring to that which works well in business, then your point is a good one. However, your quote specifically referred to "the right moral thing". I'm not sure how you do something "just for profit" and call it "the right moral thing". I would say that was Tom's question.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2020, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    In that case you would have to define what you mean by "the right thing". If you are referring to that which works well in business, then your point is a good one. However, your quote specifically referred to "the right moral thing". I'm not sure how you do something "just for profit" and call it "the right moral thing". I would say that was Tom's question.
    The moral thing was in reference to what Tom posted and for the sake of argument I raised the point of the for the right reasons and my for profit was the reasoning of not for the right reasons. Not saying that's the case during this emergency since several companies are charging enough to cover costs which is reasonable, and making money is not immoral, but price gouging is something to consider when responding to this crisis.

The difference I was trying to convey was doing the right thing without EXPLOITING the situation for personal gain. Some have but probably my point was not clear enough. You know me sometimes. 8D
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2020, 04:19 PM

You don't trust your own government not to use your data in a nefarious way? Me either, but one would hope in this instance it's for a greater good that saves lives.

Yes that's the excuse for implementation it is for the greater good, I can see that in the instance of tracking paedophiles and criminals but governments will not leave it at that. Right now there is lock down so it will be used for surveillance, my mobile stays at home
    Expert

Mar 31, 2020, 04:55 AM
    Hope you're staying home too, you old coot!

8D
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2020, 06:09 AM
    Hope you're staying home too, you old coot!

8D
    Old Coot! yourself, of course, I'm staying home, nowhere to go anyway, everything is shut except the supermarket and there is nothing I want in there
    Expert

Mar 31, 2020, 10:55 AM
    I recommended Netflix and popcorn months ago. Even better advice NOW! Toilet paper optional, but with a bidet...I recommend Bounty paper towels. Save the phone books for an emergency! How's that for a plan, man?
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2020, 03:12 PM
    when in Rome do what the Romans do .The word of the day is
    xylospongium

since when is seeking profit necessarily immoral ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2020, 04:50 PM
    I recommended Netflix and popcorn months ago. Even better advice NOW! Toilet paper optional, but with a bidet...I recommend Bounty paper towels. Save the phone books for an emergency! How's that for a plan, man?

I have already exhausted the selections on Netflix and have resorted to watching movies on youtube, there are no paper towels available here or tisssues so the plan is out of date

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the property (jointly held by brother & father) transfer from brother to brother [ 1 Answers ]

I own a property jointly with my father. Now I wish to transfer/gift this property to my brother. Could you please advise what would be the best way to execute this. What are the legal complications, tax and/or any other issue. Awaiting your response. Thanks. D Dumbre. I jointly own a...

My little one arrived! [ 10 Answers ]

Just wanted to let everyone know that Deacon arrived at 5:37 Sunday morning. My plan to VBAC was very successful, I just was not expecting 26 hours of labor but it was well worth it. Deacon weighed 8lb4oz and 20 inches long. :) Now I get to see what life with 2 under 2 is like!!

W2's have not arrived [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't received any of my w2's yet and I have contacted my past employers and they said they mailed them out in January. How do I find them or get another copy?:confused:

View more questions Search