Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2020, 06:21 AM
    Folks go where they get to hear what they want to hear I suppose.
    Sadly true. A desire to simply hear the truth is what is needed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Dr. Birx's comments were really interesting. If the attack ratio of the virus is actually 1/1,000, then it would seem we have over-reacted significantly.
    You cannot take any numbers as accurate when testing is rationed. I think all the experts have made that point. No telling how many people that 1/1000 have infected that don't get tested. That should be very concerning going forward.

Sadly true. A desire to simply hear the truth is what is needed.
    Less dufus and a lot more doctors.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2020, 06:25 AM
    So you don't want to listen to Trump, and now you don't want to listen to an expert despite your call for "a lot more doctors". I guess the famous scientist Rachel Maddow must not agree with that figure.

What was fascinating was the group in the UK who had predicted 500,000 deaths in their country just a few weeks ago have not reduced that figure to 20,000. Hard to see how they could have missed it by that much. It was probably the panic factor.
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 06:28 AM
    So you don't want to listen to Trump, and now you don't want to listen to an expert. I guess the famous scientist Rachel Maddow must not agree with that figure.
    What part of a lot more doctors/health experts is it you don't get? I make no mention of the liberal talking heads and their opinions and listen to the way the doctors and experts answer questions and what questions they answer.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2020, 06:33 AM
    Then why aren't you listening to Dr. Birx's comments? She is the one who commented on the 1/1,000 attack rate.

The 500,000 deaths being "downgraded" to fewer than 20,000 is fascinating. It just goes to show how easily science can get it wrong, especially early on when the data is sparse.

https://www.gopusa.com/u-k-scientist...-figure-20000/
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 06:41 AM
    Then why aren't you listening to Dr. Birx's comments? She is the one who commented on the 1/1,000 attack rate.

The 500,000 deaths being "downgraded" to fewer than 20,000 is fascinating. It just goes to show how easily science can get it wrong, especially early on when the data is sparse.

https://www.gopusa.com/u-k-scientist...-figure-20000/
    That's certainly the case with ONE UK scientist, but as to Dr. Birx's comments, There are plenty of caveats that make her words preliminary.

"I'm going to say something that is a little bit complicated but do it in a way we can understand it together. In the model, either you have to have a large group of people who [are] a-asymptomatic, who never presented for any test to have the kind of numbers predicted. To get to 60 million people infected, you have to have a large group of a-symptomatics. We have not seen an attack rate over 1 in 1,000. So either we are measuring the iceberg and underneath it, are a large group of people. So we are working hard to get the antibody test and figure out who these people are and do they exist. Or we have the transmission completely wrong

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2020, 06:58 AM
    What was fascinating was the group in the UK who had predicted 500,000 deaths in their country just a few weeks ago have not reduced that figure to 20,000. Hard to see how they could have missed it by that much. It was probably the panic factor.
    Just like climate "scientists " the Imperial College group created for themselves a vested interest in the outcome of their model .

Yes but even without the mass testing the numbers are going downward . When you expand the denominator then you may find that there is a greater threat to the population by keeping to business as normal during the flu season.
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 07:02 AM
    This ain't the flu though, and we cannot treat it a such. I refer you to J_9's very good thread on the subject.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2020, 07:24 AM
    I did not say they were the same . But the reality is that the flu affects all age groups ;returns annually ,kills 50,000-80,000 annually in this country .AND mutates so there is no guarantee that the annual flu shot will even be effective .Still we do not shut the country down for it . Don't have all the data in on this yet so I can't make sweeping statements about it . However ,it does appear to be much more deadly to a specific risk group than the rest of the population at large . Guidelines can be established to protect them the best we can . Then hopefully this one does not mutate in any significant way ,and the rest of the population can establish herd immunity .

Bottom line . you keep on saying it is a medical call. But ultimately public policy is a political call..... Made by leaders doing risk assessment .
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 07:47 AM
    Lack of testing has slowed the crucial data of which you speak Tom, and without it, we are blind, so an abundance of caution seems reasonable even though the disruption to the economy is scary as hell to everybody including those without resources in the first place. Just look at the countries and even our own states and localities that are slow to shut things down and implement restrictions and watch them become new hotspots. Heck all the big cities have become hotspots.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2020, 08:00 AM
    But the point remains the same. For the person who has the virus and yet is asymptomatic, the result is the same as not even having it other than they produce antibodies that give resistance to a future infection. It seems to be that, in terms of truly serious cases, the 1/1,000 attack rate is probably accurate. I guess we'll see in the next few weeks. I just wonder what all the libs are going to do if we can all go to church on Easter.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 08:32 AM
    Well this is what the libs have asked for all along. They dont mind giving up rights over a little virus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...seeking-refuge
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 09:24 AM
    But the point remains the same. For the person who has the virus and yet is asymptomatic, the result is the same as not even having it other than they produce antibodies that give resistance to a future infection. It seems to be that, in terms of truly serious cases, the 1/1,000 attack rate is probably accurate. I guess we'll see in the next few weeks. I just wonder what all the libs are going to do if we can all go to church on Easter.
    The a symptomatic can spread to others unknowingly, and if your church is open and you attend while irresponsible in my opinion, that's up to you but you should look up what happened in SKorea regarding those religious decisions before you take that action.

Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Well this is what the libs have asked for all along. They dont mind giving up rights over a little virus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...seeking-refuge
    Rather extreme in my view. I guess crazy is not just restricted to conservatives.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2020, 10:52 AM
    The a symptomatic can spread to others unknowingly, and if your church is open and you attend while irresponsible in my opinion, that's up to you but you should look up what happened in SKorea regarding those religious decisions before you take that action.
    Unless, of course, the disease is trending downwards by then, but that's a fair statement.
    Expert

Mar 28, 2020, 03:32 PM
    Unless, of course, the disease is trending downwards by then, but that's a fair statement.
    Hope for the best but plan for the worst. A few local churches will be broadcasting services.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2020, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Hope for the best but plan for the worst. A few local churches will be broadcasting services.
    Yes definitely the trend, my local church was an early adopter since church gatherings are banned but now with gatherings of more than two banned even that will be difficult
    Expert

Apr 1, 2020, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes definitely the trend, my local church was an early adopter since church gatherings are banned but now with gatherings of more than two banned even that will be difficult
    Maybe it's good that preachers have found the internet.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2020, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Maybe it's good that preachers have found the internet.
    Preachers found the internet long ago, do you need to be reminded that both the good and the bad use the internet
    Expert

Apr 2, 2020, 04:13 AM
    You won't need an Easter bonnet this year. Heck you can attend services in your PJ's if the spirit so moves you.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2020, 05:06 AM
    If the spirit moves me, I'll be in my lounge room

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amana Distinction (Goodman?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I have an Amana Distinction furnace model CVC9/95. Starting yesterday the furnace just stopped working. I'm pretty handy and tried troubleshooting. Basically on the display it comes up as 88, which is initializing, then goes to OP which is normal operation, But as soon as OP...

Distinction between DDS and DMD? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a distinction between the terms DDS and DMD in describing degrees earned by dentists? I have heard the only distinction is the historical tradition of the granting degree institution. David

On-Screen Distinction 1 [ 7 Answers ]

What on screen distinction is shared by Jimmy Cagney, Donald O'Connor, Errol Flynn, Faye Dunaway and Martin Landau?

Big screen distinction [ 1 Answers ]

What big screen distinction do the following actors - best know for their television work share? William Shatner, Buddy Ebsen, Florence Henderson, June Lockhart, David Soul, Al Lewis and Jean Vander Pyl.

View more questions Search