Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2020, 07:18 PM
    sump pump advice
    My parents' old house has a basement that is prone to getting a couple inches of standing water in it during heavy rain. I've thought about putting in a sump pump. How demanding a job is that? Assuming we decide to try it, what is a good brand to go with?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 5, 2020, 07:26 AM
    Depends on how far you take it and the system you use. It can be expensive, but you start with finding out where the water is coming from and how best to prevent the water coming into the basement. That in itself can be a big job both inside and out, with varying degrees of success, especially in older homes that have those flood problems, and I have seen entire communities with this water in basement problems. Mostly I think from inadequate drain/sewer systems. Much expense comes when you are dealing with the years of water damage sometimes not apparent until you go to fix the leaks and find the walls themselves have been deteriorated over time. I think that's where you start, but have seen many just have a few pumps in the basement that just suck out the water and displace it outside very inexpensively without the sump pits. Almost always leaves a mucky mess.

It does take an inspection though to even get started with finding out your needs and the options to meet those needs. Got a good local plumbing supply near you, see what they have available as there are many types available, some more maintenance friendly than others. If you happened to grow up in this house you already know the whole are rather well and that helps a lot, but before you get a pump system, find and identify the leaks and any damages done over the years for a true cost evaluation.

Maybe your home owners insurance covers much of this and its only a phone call to find out, but like I say it depends on how much water and how fast you want it pumped dry. A reasonable size pump is usually adequate depending on how much water you take in, but I think the aftermath clean up is a main consideration. If that's a big deal then you start digging pits to keep the water at a certain level, below floor level.

The devil is in the details as far as sizing/set up, and how the system is used. Whether it's submersible or not auto or manual, so what do you need is the question. What's the budget look like for this project?

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=portable...DB3C02FD1B0105
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 5, 2020, 02:06 PM
    Hi John.

Install a sump pump pit (could be an actual pump pit with cover or even a 5 gallon bucket with 1.5" holes drilled all around the bucket)

Install only a ZOELLER M57 sump pump (click on link here: https://www.amazon.com/Zoeller-57-00.../dp/B000RHXGCU ). These pumps are all cast metal...and come with a 3 year warranty. These pumps cost the same as the cheaper plastic home depot ones and are usually the preferred model with plumbers. This model has an internal, vertical float that has a bit of a cage around it to keep anything from interfering with the float mechanism.

Install a check valve so it is inside the sump pit

Drill a hole in the pipe as required by the sump pump manufacturer (read the instructions)...angled downward a bit to force ejected water down into the pit

Run 1.5" PVC pipe to wherever you are running the pipe

Hang the vertical pipe coming out of the sump pit well (install a hanger or two into the foundation)

Hang horizontal pipe every 4 feet

Do NOT install a GFIC outlet as many states require. These can fail due to a ground fault, but that also means they can fail when you need them the most. Here, you would not believe how many times I've walked into basements with 3-4 feet of water only to push the rest button on the GFIC outlet and watch the pump work perfectly. Install a regular dedicated outlet and be very aware when working on the pump, or if someone else may work on the pump post a LARGE SIGN stating that it is not GFIC protected..*CAUTION*

This design as presented works in 95% of homes and should not require anything but what is presented. This is NOT a hard job. If you want to discuss an additional battery back up sump pump system let me know.

That should get you started.

Mark
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2020, 04:35 PM
    When we exit the basement, I'm thinking of running the pipe about a hundred feet across the front yard into the ditch by the road since there is no low ground around the house to dump into. That would involve a lift of six or eight feet going to the ditch. Does that sound do-able?

This is in the country so just pumping into a drain pipe is not an option.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2020, 10:32 AM
    Hi John.

Lift of 6-8 ft. is no problem at all for the Zoeller 57. 100' horizontal run also not an issue here.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2020, 07:24 PM
    OK. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes once things dry out and we can get underway.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2021, 09:19 PM
    Finally got around to doing this a year and a half later. Seems to work great. Two questions.

1. The sump pit came with no holes drilled in it. Should I drill some? The dirt beneath the basement floor seems very solid and pretty dry.

2. This old basement does not have grounded receptacles in it. How critical is that?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2021, 02:48 PM
    Hi John. Happy Holidays!

I would drill holes 1.25"-1.5" holes in the walls of the sump pit (spaced out every 6 inches or so) and then surround the pit with rocks larger than the drilled holes to allow water to percolate/flow into the pit.

Grounded receptacle is ABSOLUTELY required here. Anywhere water and electricity meet, at a minimum, MUST have a grounded receptacle. In my area we are actually required to install a GFCI outlet by electrical code requirements. We install them as required but many homeowners have them removed at some point as they have a tendency to trip at the worst times allowing the basements to flood (due to a ground fault). I walk in, pop the reset button and the pump works...UGH!!! I like the concept, but I do not like the flooded basements, so I leave that up to the homeowner to decide. With that being said, again, DEFINITELY install a grounded receptacle!!

Mark
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2021, 02:53 PM
    The outlet is a real problem. The pump is in the basement of a house built in the sixties which did not have the three-pronged outlets. I don't really know if a ground wire is present that could be used in the Romex in the wall. Is there some alternative?

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you as well!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2021, 03:02 PM
    Hi John.

There really isn't an alternative here. Yes, they got away with ungrounded outlets for decades, but Yes, people also got electrocuted reaching into the sump pit when the pump failed, and they went to check on the pump. For safety sake of the homeowner and future installers/repair people it is best to fish a proper wire over to the pump and install a grounded outlet.

Mark

PS: Check the existing romex...many ungrounded outlets have the ground wire wrapped around the exisiting wire in the box
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2021, 03:20 PM
    Yeah. I'll do that tomorrow. That might end up being a solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well pump,furnace,sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to connect hard wired devices to a portable generator avoiding a transfer switch or some other device connected to the main circuit breaker box?thanks in advance

Sewer ejection pump for a sump pump? [ 7 Answers ]

My sump pump for sewage had water pumps installed instead of sewer ejection pumps... is that OK?

My sump pump won't turn off after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit [ 2 Answers ]

My sump pump is only 3 years old and it won't stop running after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit. What do I do to fix this? Is there a switch that I have to adjust? Please help.

How many holes should the basin of the ejector sump and how many for the sump pump? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two different wells, one holds my ejector pump and the other one holds the sump pump. I recently was getting water in my sub basement and it was coming from between the basin w/ejector pump and the concrete. Once we drilled a hole in the basin the water drains from the concrete into the...

Sump pump [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a new house and was wondering if the sump pump draining into the main drain instead of on its own drain to outside the house is a problem? I have never had a sump pump before and was curious because we get a sewage smell inside our bathroom every once in awhile on the first floor...

View more questions Search