Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2020, 09:24 AM
    It's Happening At Last!
    Oh my word, it's happening!

For the past few years I've had a project of reading through the Greek New Testament. Not for exegesis, but just reading it like a book. (I've been told that's what it is!) The goal is reading comprehension and beyond.

It's happening. The past several days, I've noticed that when I'm reading, I'm not translating in my head any more. I'm THINKING IN GREEK!!!! I don't hear an English narrative in my head as I read, I hear a Greek one. This is what I've been striving for, for close to 4 years. Oh, I started learning Greek when I was 17. But it was always with a view to breaking down individual words, grammatical constructions, and all that technical stuff. I had never just sat down and *read* it.

Hey, Mikey! I like it!!!!!

(I know it's not a question, but I had to share my excitement.)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2020, 09:42 AM
    Congratulations! Being able to think in a language without doing the gymnastics of mentally translating it means you have gained a wondrous ability. My dad was born to German-speaking parents who also had learned English, so he grew up bilingual. If I were granted one wish, it would be that I could understand and speak any language that I heard when out and about.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2020, 07:14 PM
    I recall listening to a language expert one time who said that she believed she really had a language down pat when she had her first dream in that language. Well done, DW.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2020, 09:37 AM
    A friend back in Bible college said he heard you've really got the language down when you can make puns in it. I'm not to that point yet, but working on it.
    WG, I share your wish!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2020, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    WG, I share your wish!
    You and I will have fun doing this in heaven when we go shopping at the Celestial Mall in the 8th dimension!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's Happening? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, more than a month ago I went on the pill. The end of the first month things started to change, the one morning I descovered a big white and red lump that came from me. What could it be? Today I feel very strange and feel like really weird things to eat like Dunked Zinger Wings, Pies, Russian...

What happening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have something that bothering me and I don't know what to do, so I am here seeking for advices. So, I am a married woman, we just live together 6 months. We are a young couple with kids. My husband is a good daddy, a good husband. Well, look like I don't have any problem to ask,...

What's happening? [ 3 Answers ]

I dated my girlfriend for over a year and all went well until a few weeks ago. She's brown, in high school and I'm a recent graduate. We had to date behind her parents back since they're strict and don't allow dating until she's older.. She started going out more with her girlfriends and got rides...

What's happening to my car? [ 3 Answers ]

I was driving car it showed no signs of overheating. The radiator popped. Towed the car home. Replaced radiator, replaced fans and the power steering hose(when the radiator popped the fan became loose and piece of fan broke off and sliced the hose). The car was already losing compression and...

View more questions Search