Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2020, 03:04 PM
    outside water line connected to inside water line
    Hi, I'm about to install a water softener. I know it needs to be connected between the outside water and the house water lines but someone decided to connect those two lines in an additional location and wondering why.
    The red line is the main water supply.
    The blue line is the outside water for irrigation and sillcocks.
    The yellow line goes to the rest of the house and water heater.

For some reason someone connected the yellow and blue further down the line with the green PEX line shown in the picture. Any idea why this would be needed?

I plan to remove the green line and allow the blue and yellow to run clear past that spot and then install the softener on the red line between the blue and yellow down below.

My only concern was if that green line served any purpose?
    Attached Images

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 28, 2020, 04:52 PM
    I can't tell from the picture where those lines go so what purpose they serve is unknown but you can trace them all from source to location and figure what they are for, and if they are needed and what should be done about them. How old is the house?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 29, 2020, 04:52 PM
    "My only concern was if that green line served any purpose?"

I see no reason for the green line. Perhaps someone was installing a bypass line in case one of the lines developed an issue, but if they were doing that they are missing a couple shutoff valves and did not finish the bypass. If that is the case, then the green line, unfinished, serves no purpose and can be removed.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Line for sillcock connected back to house water line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am about to install a water softener which connects between the sillcock line and the rest of the house and water heater. For some reason those two lines were connected further down the supply. Does anyone know any reason for this connection? Photo attached. Thanks,

Filtered water line connected to a flexible hose? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to fill my Kerig coffee maker tank with the cold filtered water from my undersink filter. It seems that if my cold water filter line was connected to something like a pull-out sprayer, then I could have both filtered water at the sink and a way to fill up the Kerig tank. Of course no-one...

The water line to my outside spigot broke now I don't have any running water inside, [ 3 Answers ]

My outside water spigot line broke and now I don't have any inside running water, any suggestions. Thanks Hal

Does the water line connected to a refrigerator have to be a copper line? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the water line connected to a refrigerator have to be a copper line?

View more questions Search