tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2020, 04:54 PM
    a lot of disease there
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2020, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    That was totally disgusting and is a disaster waiting to happen...oh wait it has happened. I still blame Big Biz though for getting us in this mess, though I can see the need to bring these folks closer to civilization and normal business dealings, but a fool can see they might not be ready for prime time yet.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2020, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    That was totally disgusting and is a disaster waiting to happen...oh wait it has happened. I still blame Big Biz though for getting us in this mess, though I can see the need to bring these folks closer to civilization and normal business dealings, but a fool can see they might not be ready for prime time yet.
    you forget they have been a civilisation for two thousand years and they survive and thrive. it doesn't do them as much harm as we think and a few thousand deaths is nothing to them, besides they keep down the population of the creepy crawlies
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 06:50 AM
    Forgive my western big city sensibilities Clete, and I suppose the veneer of Chinese and Indian civilizations among other nations, of the world bellies what real populations do to survive. I guess eating what's available is a part of every country. I was raised on Kroger's even in the boonies, but I guess if rats and bats and dogs and cats was all I had, I would probably eat them too! I guess I'm grateful for where God put me and how he has provided and shouldn't judge.

Still looks nasty to me!
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2020, 07:18 AM
    Like I have said before: The U.S. got rid of SLAVERY in 1865.....yet, we have chased SLAVE labor around the globe for a long time.....is that O.K.? Is it O.K. that by chasing this SLAVE labor to Red China and empowering our enemy WHO JUST ATTACKED US WITH A BIOLOGICAL WEAPON we are able to get cheap products? WE ARE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 07:34 AM
    It's not slave labor when you are paying the person for their work.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It's not slave labor when you are paying the person for their work.
    It is if your workers need public assistance to survive. It is if your profit depend on cheap labor because your competing with 3rd world countries. It is when half the country can't afford rent, heating and food without assistance, and the other half can trade stocks and bonds all day long.

Darn shame that a guy who has 3 jobs loses all 3 of them and won't find another one so his kids can have a cheap laptop to keep up with his school work from home let alone toilet paper, and JL says too bad. Find another job or 3 if you need 'em.

That don't sound rather crazy to you given today's reality?
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 11:10 AM
    It is if your workers need public assistance to survive. It is if your profit depend on cheap labor because your competing with 3rd world countries. It is when half the country can't afford rent, heating and food without assistance, and the other half can trade stocks and bonds all day long.
    No, it's not. Slave labor is performed by...unpaid slaves. And your point about half the country can't afford utilities and food might be important if it was true. Alas, it is not.

Darn shame that a guy who has 3 jobs loses all 3 of them and won't find another one so his kids can have a cheap laptop to keep up with his school work from home let alone toilet paper, and JL says too bad. Find another job or 3 if you need 'em.
    What would have been wrong with buying a 200 dollar Chromebook when he had the three jobs? I get your point about poor people. I know there are folks out there who are in financial straits, but they are a very small minority. Most people have large televisions, eat pizzas, and own cell phones and microwaves, so they can get a Chromebook if needed. We need to learn to take care of our own needs rather than counting on our government to forcefully take money from someone else to give to us.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 01:19 PM
    The definition of slavery has changed since it's illegal to chain and beat another human and FORCE him to work for you, but we have the term working poor that have jobs, but qualify for assistance. I think the speed and depth of things will catch a lot of people unawares and off guard. I would imagine that as while you may have a laptop, paying your internet/wifi bill could be an issue as many are forced to adjust and downsize. Not something that's an easy thing at all to go from a great/good/okay/low end job to no job in a month is it?

We're talking millions here across the nation maybe more.

We need to learn to take care of our own needs rather than counting on our government to forcefully take money from someone else to give to us.
    Says the guy who lives in a state that takes more fed money than it contributes. Maybe you start with your own state and lead by example.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/s...vernment.html/
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 01:24 PM
    The definition of slavery has changed since it's illegal to chain and beat another human and FORCE him to work for you,
    Go over to Somalia and tell them. Slavery is alive and well in many parts of the world.

but we have the term working poor that have jobs, but qualify for assistance. I think the speed and depth of things will catch a lot of people unawares and off guard. I would imagine that as while you may have a laptop, paying your internet/wifi bill could be an issue as many are forced to adjust and downsize. Not something that's an easy thing at all to go from a great/good/okay/low end job to no job in a month is it?
    Those are legitimate points, but we are doing a terrible job of teaching people to be self sufficient and to understand that tough times come around and you need to be prepared for it. It's one thing to be laid up from an accident for a year. It's an entirely different matter for a person to live his/her entire life in blissful ignorance of taking care of his/her own needs and not being dependent on someone else. When that person gets to a time like this, he is completely unprepared in every possible way to do anything more than trust in the high and mighty federal government. It used to be considered disgraceful to live that way, but now it's accepted and even encouraged by liberal dems.

We need to learn to take care of our own needs rather than counting on our government to forcefully take money from someone else to give to us.

Says the guy who lives in a state that takes more fed money than it contributes. Maybe you start with your own state and lead by example.
    I can't help it that the stupid fed government does that. You know full well that if it was up to me, a LOT of fed spending would be stopped and that would include much of what goes on in our state.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 02:02 PM
    Current events as I see it may overwhelm a vast majority no matter how prepared you think you are, with some being better prepared than others for sure. Recovery can take as long as preparations, with smaller crisis's along the way. Stupid as our government may be it's still ours and guess who can fix it? Maybe that takes a while, so be patient and pass the popcorn why dontcha.

We just have to stay with it JL no matter what.

Mar 20, 2020, 04:06 PM
    jlisenbe: I am talking about U.S. Corporations hauling arse across the Pacific to seek out SLAVE LABOR of the ChiComs.....and I am not talking about the 2%ers over there that are commi-Party members, I am talking about the other 98%ers that are trying to survive and work for pennies on the dollar....and you can say its not SLAVE LABOR because they get paid but I can't and you can't verify that ALL of these products are made by non-SLAVES, unless you are willing to take the ChiComs' word for it....I, personally, will never believe a single word ANY communist ever says to me. You can call it what you wish but when a U.S. based company hauls arse to get its widgets made by ChiComs INSTEAD of paying U.S. WORKERS, that company is chasing SLAVE LABOR.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2020, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacuum7 View Post
    jlisenbe: I am talking about U.S. Corporations hauling arse across the Pacific to seek out SLAVE LABOR of the ChiComs.....and I am not talking about the 2%ers over there that are commi-Party members, I am talking about the other 98%ers that are trying to survive and work for pennies on the dollar....and you can say its not SLAVE LABOR because they get paid but I can't and you can't verify that ALL of these products are made by non-SLAVES, unless you are willing to take the ChiComs' word for it....I, personally, will never believe a single word ANY communist ever says to me. You can call it what you wish but when a U.S. based company hauls arse to get its widgets made by ChiComs INSTEAD of paying U.S. WORKERS, that company is chasing SLAVE LABOR.
    well of course you are right, but you want to inflict your flawed morality on others. Look to your own to find slave labour, people working for minimum wage, migrants taking anything they can get. Yours is not the fair society you espouse and would inflict on others. I personally believe all american corporations should be prohibited from leaving the country. let them licence their products for manufacture in other places with strict non export clauses
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 05:13 PM
    Look to your own to find slave labour, people working for minimum wage, migrants taking anything they can get. Yours is not the fair society you espouse and would inflict on others.
    2% of the country works for min wage, and many of them are teens or people working entry level jobs. Oh Lawdy! What a catastrophe! If you are saying there is slave labor in the U.S, then you're living in the same fantasy world that Tal sometimes lives in. Migrants take anything they can get? What can they get in Mexico? Why are they coming here if their home country is so wonderful and fair?

You might want to know what you're talking about before you start passing judgement on our country. We are certainly not perfect, but I'll take the U.S. over Australia any day of the week. That's not a knock on your country, but you have a pretty easy time of it. You defend yourselves and basically no one else. Much of the world depends on us for help. I wish we'd learn to say "no", but it is something to consider.

I personally believe all american corporations should be prohibited from leaving the country. let them licence their products for manufacture in other places with strict non export clauses
    That does sound like a good idea, but I don't think international trade treaties allow it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2020, 05:33 PM
    2% of the country works for min wage, and many of them are teens or people working entry level jobs. Oh Lawdy! What a catastrophe! If you are saying there is slave labor in the U.S, then you're living in the same fantasy world that Tal sometimes lives in. Migrants take anything they can get? What can they get in Mexico? Why are they coming here if their home country is so wonderful and fair?

You might want to know what you're talking about before you start passing judgement on our country. We are certainly not perfect, but I'll take the U.S. over Australia any day of the week. That's not a knock on your country, but you have a pretty easy time of it. You defend yourselves and basically no one else. Much of the world depends on us for help. I wish we'd learn to say "no", but it is something to consider.

That does sound like a good idea, but I don't think international trade treaties allow it.
    Oh you of little knowledge, Who was it who liberated East Timor, where was the US, who put forces into Vanuatu, who has stood at the US side in all major conflicts, you say we do nothing but we have done far more than we needed to. Our peace keepers have been deployed around the world, our forces fought in Europe in WWI and WWII while the US sat back and reaped war profits so don't talk of how great your nation is, you had to be dragged kicking and screaming into WWII
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 05:43 PM
    Who was it who liberated East Timor
    Oh yes. The famous liberation of East Timor. What a brilliant military campaign. Small, small potatoes. As to the past, that's fair enough, but I'm talking about right now. What have you done over the past ten years? You must certainly did NOT fight in Europe in WW2 while we sat around counting our money. It was only after the U.S. led invasions of Italy, Normandy, and south France that the war in Europe was taken against Germany. If not for the U.S. navy, you wouldn't have even gotten troops to the battles. A simple "thank you" would be nice.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2020, 06:53 PM
    Oh yes. The famous liberation of East Timor. What a brilliant military campaign. Small, small potatoes. As to the past, that's fair enough, but I'm talking about right now. What have you done over the past ten years? You must certainly did NOT fight in Europe in WW2 while we sat around counting our money. It was only after the U.S. led invasions of Italy, Normandy, and south France that the war in Europe was taken against Germany. If not for the U.S. navy, you wouldn't have even gotten troops to the battles. A simple "thank you" would be nice.
    What are you talking about, again you know nothing, we fought in Greece, in Crete, in North Africa and took on Rommel with UK while you sat at home, our pilots fought in the Battle of Britain. The US navy did not protect our shipping in the Indian Ocean. We fought the japs in Malaya with not a US warship in sight, so as to thank you, remember who fought and died beside you. Despite what Hollywood would have you believe you did not win WWII alone

Mar 20, 2020, 06:59 PM
    jlisenbe & Paraclete: If and when the sh&t hits the fan, I think we can count on the Australians to be on the side of the U.S.....they just aren't going to participate in the "adventures" we have been involved in, namely Iraq and Syria....and, speaking of which, and hindsight being 20/20, we probably should not have been in Iraq, either beings IT COST OVER A TRILLION $$$s!

We are a Germanic language speaking nation and we are connected to England and Australia in a way that binds like no other national connection can or will ever develop: its almost a DNA thing. Got no doubt that the Aussies will rise to the occasion, particularly if it is dire.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 07:06 PM
    What are you talking about, again you know nothing, we fought in Greece, in Crete, in North Africa and took on Rommel with UK while you sat at home, our pilots fought in the Battle of Britain. The US navy did not protect our shipping in the Indian Ocean. We fought the japs in Malaya with not a US warship in sight, so as to thank you, remember who fought and died beside you. Despite what Hollywood would have you believe you did not win WWII alone
    Fair enough, but the only action you took in Europe prior to our involvement was largely retreating. The point is that at present you take care of yourself and that's about it. If we had not entered the war, you would have been squashed.

That you would even think of bringing up a very minor action such as East Timor just shows how little you guys have done the past twenty years. I'm not being critical of you. Like most Americans, I admire Australia, but I do get tired of your endless, mindless criticism of the U.S. If not for us, the Soviets would be running things now. Either that, or you'd be speaking Japanese.

Mar 20, 2020, 07:11 PM
    The only reason ANY NATION IN THE WORLD ENJOYS ANY FREEDOM is because the United States EXISTS! Now, that is a fact!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elena Kagan the stealth nominee [ 38 Answers ]

After watching the reaction to the President's nomination of Kagan for SCOTUS ,it is clear that unless there is some smoking gun reason ;the Republicans will not be able to mount a serious opposition to her selection. However ,her lack of a "paper trail" ,and judicial record has the left more...

Consent of legal heirs for purchase of flat from nominee [ 2 Answers ]

If I purchase a resale flat in a society from the nominee after death of the owner who has died without making any will, whether consent of other legal heirs of the family is necessary ? What are the pros and cons if consent of others is not taken and an affidavit from nominee owner is taken.

Right wingers Ticked off about Bush nominee [ 2 Answers ]

I've been enjoying all of the fighting on this Conservative site: http://www.townhall.com/blogs/c-log/J%20Garthwaite/story/2005/10/03/159236.html Seems like the conservatives are a bit pissed by Bush's choice... should a liberal be happy about it? Mirza :confused:

View more questions Search