Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCinSC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2005, 07:44 PM
    Processor Comparison
    I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers.

I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. How do the new "M" processors perform versus the Celeron versus the AMD processors and others?

Thanks!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Well amd or intel. Ain't much difference if they are the same speed etc. depends on the cache though. A m processor is very good. But you could try their websites because they offer some insight on speed etc.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 21, 2005, 10:23 PM
    Speed Difference? Intels always clock faster but give similar performance as lower 'speed' AMD. So comparing GHZ is like comparing megapixels on digital cameras. Get which ever laptop is in your budget. Its hard enough deciding on size. Check Tachbargains.com for some deals. They usually have really low priced dells listed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 22, 2005, 07:09 AM
    The key issue is one of power consumption. A Mobile (M) processor will use less power, generating less heat and providing greater battery life. So what you need to decide is how much you will be using the laptop on battery. If you typically go 3 or more hours then you want a mobile processor. In fact you may want to go with a Centrino. Centrino is actually a whole chip set that wortks with Pentium M processors to provide extended battery life. Generally twice that of regular processor.

I recently replaced an older Thinkpad T22 with a new T42 Centrino. On board equipment was similar, but I get more than 4 hours on the battery where I used to get barely 2.

One other issue to consider when choosing between Intel and AMD. Currently the Athlon 64 is the only 64 bit CPU available for consumers. When the next version of Windows comes out (either this year or next) this CPU will be able to take advantage of its advanced features.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Require a website for UK price comparison [ 3 Answers ]

Hiya, very new to this site which looks brill... I need to find somewhere that can tell me prices in 1985 in the UK (prices of bread, milk, beer, newspapers etc etc) so that I can use the information for a birthday book that I am composing for someone. I would really appreciate someone telling...

AMD K6 Processor [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know what the speed of an AuthenticAMD K6 processor is. I have just had an IBM Aptiva custom built and the guy who built it said it's supposed to be at least 500 MHz, but my system information is saying it's only a 266 MHz. If it truly is 266, how can I be running XP Professional?

Processor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I was trying to install new PIV 2.5 Celeron processors on a computer that was using PIV 1.7 Celeron processors but the computer does not even reach post despite the fact that its on. What do you think is the problem?

Processor and Graphic Card Comparison [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently looking at 3 different laptops. However, I've been unable to find a good site with information comparing the 3 processors, or graphic cards I'm looking at. Processor -Pentium 4 w/ HT Tech 3.8 GhZ 800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache vs Pentium M 2.13Ghz 533Mhz FSB 2MB...

Small Riding Mowers Comparison [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1/4 acre lot in Fl and because I'm disabled I need a small riding mower, preferably with a Kohler engine(had a lot of bad luck with B&S) What do you recommend?

View more questions Search