Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2020, 11:58 AM
    Line for sillcock connected back to house water line
    Hi, I am about to install a water softener which connects between the sillcock line and the rest of the house and water heater. For some reason those two lines were connected further down the supply. Does anyone know any reason for this connection? Photo attached.

Thanks,
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2020, 06:54 AM
    Hi Tmeyer

Sorry, but I can't tell what anything is. You colored the lines but did not explain what each color line is or what it is going to. Please define the colored lines and I should be able to tell you more.

In the end, you don't usually want the outside faucets to go through the softener.

Mark
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2020, 02:03 PM
    Sorry, yes I know I don't want the outside faucets going through the softener but the way they did this makes it more work to have that happen.

The red is the main water line coming into the house.
    The blue is the line that runs to the irrigation system and outside sillcocks.
    The yellow runs to the rest of the house.

I would normally connect the softener between the blue and yellow (along the red) in the picture but for whatever reason someone joined the house water (yellow) and outside water (blue) with the green line and I don't know why. It was added later with PEX to the existing copper lines.

I'm just wondering if there is any reason for that additional connection (green) or if it was just easier for them at the time. It might have been done with the house was converted from well to city water but not sure.

My plan is to remove the green line completely (undo what they did) so the yellow and blue flow straight through that section and then connect the softener down below on the red after the blue and before the yellow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pump connected to electric line trips while connecting it with generator do not [ 1 Answers ]

Water pump connected to regular electricity connection trips after 5 minutes on its switch on. It never trips if connected to a diesel generator. Possible reasons?

Filtered water line connected to a flexible hose? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to fill my Kerig coffee maker tank with the cold filtered water from my undersink filter. It seems that if my cold water filter line was connected to something like a pull-out sprayer, then I could have both filtered water at the sink and a way to fill up the Kerig tank. Of course no-one...

Does the water line connected to a refrigerator have to be a copper line? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the water line connected to a refrigerator have to be a copper line?

Do I have a problem with the sewage line from house to city line? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, I had to call plumbers out to my house for a stopped up toilet. I have a home warranty and was initially covered for them to clear the stoppage. When they came I had two functioning toilets out of the three. The one in the basement had no problem and still continues to work. The "guest"...

How to connect vent line to sewer line in a 3 unit house? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to have something clarified for me, I have a 3 unit house that I recently bought and the cast iron sewer pipe was cracked from the 2nd fl down to the 1st fl. It has been cut away and I have the 4' pvc to replace it but now I cannot remember how the vent line was connected to it. The vent...

View more questions Search