Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 04:33 AM
    I call them as I see them, gentility doesn't work in this situation, reality does.
    Reality? Many of them will learn next to nothing at home. They're not college students capable of independent work. It's a total negative. It will be two months largely wasted.

Teacher, 43 is a lot. What grade level? I was in education for 34 years and never saw a classroom even close to that size other than, possibly, in high school. The biggest class I can remember that I had was in the high twenties.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2020, 05:54 AM
    We are talking about lives here, the kids will bounce back once they are back in school but what is more important?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I call them as I see them, gentility doesn't work in this situation, reality does. You are still focused on conveying knowledge, but a couple of months won't matter as much as keeping them safe
    Kids are so resilient and as long as parents keep a cool loving head they too will adjust to this crisis event with the rest of us. Unfortunately parents are not teachers in most cases, but what stops parents and teachers from working out some kind of plan for kids to stay engaged in the learning process? As the teach said we have no choice, but to structure alternatives for a while where communities are battling a bigger foe and go from there, because there are no options in the abject failure, of doing nothing. Schools may be closed, but as the heart of any community they are still engaged in school activities along with the first responders that supports them, and that's not a bad thing. So what if it's not perfect as it was folks, we still must rise to the challenge of people being at home, as massive unemployment looms large. Does that mean we get with gloom and doom? No way, lol, maybe the lesson is getting closer to the kids and appreciating the teachers who taught them and virtually raised them while parents worked. Yeah the onus has shifted and if I had kids and the school was closed I would sure be talking to my kids teachers to help them not fall so far behind during these times. What you don't know your kids teacher, or have any way to contact them? That's your fault parent! Have heart though that can be corrected, and I reject the notion that any community cannot keep the kids safe, and convey a good level of learning until the storm is over. May be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Reality? Many of them will learn next to nothing at home. They're not college students capable of independent work. It's a total negative. It will be two months largely wasted.

Teacher, 43 is a lot. What grade level? I was in education for 34 years and never saw a classroom even close to that size other than, possibly, in high school. The biggest class I can remember that I had was in the high twenties.
    Reality is that things are much different in the big city, than the small rural areas around them. Size does matter!
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2020, 06:23 AM
    The ramifications of this Chinese sneak attack will reverberate through the U.S. for the next 30-40 years....It will destroy a generation of our young people: When our young people see how GUTLESS the elders and those in power above them are, they will be forever negatively formed into the same gutless masses.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 06:31 AM
    LOL, the talk of WMD got us Iraq, and you are proposing excalating that Iraq stuff against China? The US is shutdown right now and you want a war? Let me get back to you after I stock up on toilet paper.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 06:49 AM
    We are talking about lives here, the kids will bounce back once they are back in school but what is more important?
    No one is arguing that the kids don't need to be home. The point of contention is the belief you seem to have that being in school is not important.

Reality is that things are much different in the big city, than the small rural areas around them. Size does matter!
    What does that have to do with kids not being in school?
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 07:03 AM
    The whole approach to helping millions is entirely different than hundred and thousands just in scope and scale. How many schools does your neck of the woods service?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 07:10 AM
    Teacher, 43 is a lot. What grade level? I was in education for 34 years and never saw a classroom even close to that size other than, possibly, in high school. The biggest class I can remember that I had was in the high twenties.[/QUOTE]
    43 was 4th grade. It was awful. I was like an assembly line trying to see who understood, and who did not. Currently, I have (or had ) 30 Kindergarteners. Honestly, it is a big group, but manageable. Good classroom management is the key and this particular group was wonderful!

Mar 20, 2020, 07:35 AM
    Talaniman: Not proposing war with Red China.....proposing that we don't submit to a Red Chinese Sneak Attack by changing our lives in the here and now. When the Islamic terrorists attacked us on 911, our society was changed and our freedoms were diminished by a bunch of NeoCons. We should be TOTALLY UNWILLING FOR A DAMNED CHINESE COMMUNIST VIRUS TO TAKE AWAY MORE OF OUR FREEDOMS!
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 07:38 AM
    The whole approach to helping millions is entirely different than hundred and thousands just in scope and scale. How many schools does your neck of the woods service?
    It makes no difference. Yes, things are different in some regards in big cities. They are better in some ways and worse in others. So what's the point?

43 was 4th grade. It was awful. I was like an assembly line trying to see who understood, and who did not. Currently, I have (or had ) 30 Kindergarteners. Honestly, it is a big group, but manageable. Good classroom management is the key and this particular group was wonderful!
    30 kindergartners in one class? Do you have a TA? Do you mind if I ask what state you're in? Just curious. In Mississippi it would be a violation of state standards to have that many in any lower elementary grade classroom. If I remember correctly, I think 27 was the K limit and that was with a mandated TA.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 08:20 AM
    It makes no difference. Yes, things are different in some regards in big cities. They are better in some ways and worse in others. So what's the point?
    I tell Clete all the time that size does matter and if you think it doesn't just consider that an apple tree feeds so many, and for some populations you need more than one apple tree. You need a rather large orchard. Yeah it makes a big difference and again, that's my point. Hope your small rural town has more than one apple tree.

PS

Obviously TJ is in a larger community than yours. I never heard of a class size of 27 nor did my kids. Size does matter, my point AGAIN.
    Education Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 08:58 AM
    I’m in California. I live in a rural area but commute to a city of 200,000 to work. I have no aides! I do it all myself, although parents come to volunteer when they can. That being said, my school is an amazing public school, in the top 5% in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I have to be careful with answering this one. We aren’t a gigantic school district, but we aren’t tiny, either. I can say that my school is public, and we have a wait list to get in. Students are chosen by lottery to get in.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 11:02 AM
    Obviously TJ is in a larger community than yours. I never heard of a class size of 27 nor did my kids. Size does matter, my point AGAIN.
    Thank you for pointing out the most obvious thing in the universe.

I can say that my school is public, and we have a wait list to get in. Students are chosen by lottery to get in.
    Charter school?
    Education Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 03:30 PM
    Charter school?
    No, it’s not. It is considered a school of choice. Definitely hard to get in. All names go into a lottery. Teachers’ kids don’t always get in. It’s amazing. I’ve never worked so hard in my entire career, but the work we do is so rewarding.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2020, 05:28 PM
    No, it’s not. It is considered a school of choice. Definitely hard to get in. All names go into a lottery. Teachers’ kids don’t always get in. It’s amazing. I’ve never worked so hard in my entire career, but the work we do is so rewarding.
    Sounds like a good deal. I have long considered it amazing that parents cannot simply send their kids to the schools they choose. We lost a lot when the government started telling parents where to send their children.

Mar 20, 2020, 07:08 PM
    jlisenbe: Must agree about Government intervention in schooling....they screw up most all they touch....and when they started merging EDUCATION with FAMILY BUSINESS in schools, they really fouled things up! Government long wanted to dictate terms about family rearing and used the school system to get its nose under the tent: What a mess they have made!
    Expert

Mar 20, 2020, 09:04 PM
    Sounds like a good deal. I have long considered it amazing that parents cannot simply send their kids to the schools they choose. We lost a lot when the government started telling parents where to send their children.
    Exactly when was that? How did they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vacuum7 View Post
    jlisenbe: Must agree about Government intervention in schooling....they screw up most all they touch....and when they started merging EDUCATION with FAMILY BUSINESS in schools, they really fouled things up! Government long wanted to dictate terms about family rearing and used the school system to get its nose under the tent: What a mess they have made!
    You lost me please explain that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Charter school?
    You sound like most teachers I have known that loves kids and love teaching them stuff.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2020, 03:25 AM
    Exactly when was that? How did they do that?
    Basically started with busing in the sixties. It is now at the point where, in the last school I was in, parents living literally in sight of the school had to send their kids ten miles away to the school preferred by a federal judge. That is basically nationwide. What the parent desires doesn't matter. It's what the almighty government says that settles the issue. In the prior district I worked in, parents could send their kids to a different school so long as they transported them. We had about a hundred of those transfer kids. Had nothing to do with race as the school was 90% black and practically all of the transfer kids were black. A few years ago the almighty local gov decided they didn't want to allow that anymore, so that was that. It is absolutely nationwide.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2020, 03:31 AM
    Comments from yesterday by dem. Governor Cuomo.

"I spoke to the president this morning again. He is ready, willing, and able to help,” said Cuomo. “I think the president was 100% sincere in saying that he wanted to work together in partnership and in a spirit of cooperation. Steps he has taken are evidence of that.”“His team has been on it. I know a team when they are on it. I know a team when they are not on it,” the Democrat continued. “His team is on it. They have been responsive late at night, early in the morning. And they’ve thus far been doing everything that they can do, and I want to say thank you, and I want to say that I appreciate it, and they will have nothing but cooperation and partnership from the state of New York.”

Cuomo then said the two leaders are setting an example for all those around the country in how to deal and treat those who may disagree with one another politically.

https://www.diamondandsilk.com/blog/...oqPTAlanz_FceI
    Expert

Mar 21, 2020, 08:25 AM
    Basically started with busing in the sixties. It is now at the point where, in the last school I was in, parents living literally in sight of the school had to send their kids ten miles away to the school preferred by a federal judge. That is basically nationwide. What the parent desires doesn't matter. It's what the almighty government says that settles the issue. In the prior district I worked in, parents could send their kids to a different school so long as they transported them. We had about a hundred of those transfer kids. Had nothing to do with race as the school was 90% black and practically all of the transfer kids were black. A few years ago the almighty local gov decided they didn't want to allow that anymore, so that was that. It is absolutely nationwide.
    Boy I would sure like to explore the details of your summary, raises many questions as I remember the struggles of the 60's as almost entirely about race mixing in response to white flight, and the disparities in educational funding as a result. When no solutions can be made locally, minorities had little choice but call the feds in, and the courts.

I can certainly understand being on the losing end of some of those court cases, and the resentments of being told what your doing ain't fair.

Comments from yesterday by dem. Governor Cuomo.

"I spoke to the president this morning again. He is ready, willing, and able to help,” said Cuomo. “I think the president was 100% sincere in saying that he wanted to work together in partnership and in a spirit of cooperation. Steps he has taken are evidence of that.”“His team has been on it. I know a team when they are on it. I know a team when they are not on it,” the Democrat continued. “His team is on it. They have been responsive late at night, early in the morning. And they’ve thus far been doing everything that they can do, and I want to say thank you, and I want to say that I appreciate it, and they will have nothing but cooperation and partnership from the state of New York.”

Cuomo then said the two leaders are setting an example for all those around the country in how to deal and treat those who may disagree with one another politically.

https://www.diamondandsilk.com/blog/...oqPTAlanz_FceI
    Cuomo is a polished politician isn't he.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

S.S.D.I. threat [ 0 Answers ]

Will Late change in unemployment decision which may result in recoupment against husband.(no fraud involved)threaten my S.S.D.I.monthly payments?I'm his wife and I never filed for unemployment because I'm disabled!

Grave threat [ 3 Answers ]

Can I sue someone living in other country for grave threat to my family?

Bomb threat [ 6 Answers ]

Well, patients are finally back in the hospital and mine is FiNALLY asleep again. Earlier this evening a woman called the hospital and said that she had placed 5 different bombs in different locations around the hospital. They were all set to go off at midnight. Guess what time she called! ...

Threat to be pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have done sex with my boyfriend on 17th and my date of period is 2 or 3. He mistakenly discharged his sperms inside me, this is the first tym he discharged inside me. After 2 days of sex m feeling something in my stomach. Is it a sign of pregnancy or just a pyschological thought because...

Threat of eviction [ 7 Answers ]

My wife has written you several times ahd you all have given us some great advise. Well, we have come up against another situation. We live in a very small town of about 3,000+ people and there is nowhere we can go to ask for help. So we come to you for advise. We had another falling out...

View more questions Search