Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2020, 06:00 PM
    Weird behaviour
    I have a KIA Cerato. It has an intermittent fault which is concerning and lately is very prevalent. It first manifested about three years ago with the dealer being unable to identify the fault and was then dormant for about two years

The car seems to lose power although the engine is running and also appears to be stuck in gear. This happens mostly at low speed such as heavy traffic and is therefore dangerous. The fault can sometimes be cleared by switching off the ignition.

Lately the fault has been accompanied by a check engine light which does not extinguish when switching off the ignition. Diagnostics suggested a faulty crankshaft censor and this was replaced but was immediately followed by the check engine light and the same behaviour which became more prevalent. Diagnostics suggested problems with number 3 cylinder and low battery power and at one point it became stuck in park as I attempted to clear the fault in traffic

any suggestions would be welcome as my mechanic is scratching his head and he has plenty of experience with performance engines
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2020, 07:53 AM
    Thoughts:

. Remove and fully charge the battery. Clean battery terminals and cable connections with a terminal brush.
    . Check the alternator—regulated battery voltage should be 14 to 15 volts. Clean alternator cable connections with abrasive cloth and coat with dielectric grease.
    . Clean all grounds and apply dielectric grease.
    . Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter.
    . Replace spark plugs with the exact brand specified in the owner’s manual (no cross-referenced plugs). Examine old plugs for incorrect brand, signs of wear, and fouling.
    . Check/replace coil going to cylinder #3.
    . Check/replace Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) or Neutral Safety Switch.
    . Disconnect the negative battery cable overnight—this will force the PCM to learn all new shift points.

Note: If the CEL stays on, when the ignition switch is turned to on, the PCM may be bad. Before doing anything extreme, disconnect the negative battery cable and clean the PCM ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend hangs out consistently with ex boyfriends family... Weird to feel weird? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, been driving myself crazy over this for the last 9 months and although I've come to some peace with it, I feel like I still need help from the community. Maybe just for reassurance to know that I'm OK to feel weird... Or to hear the truth from others in my situation. Anyhow, thanks in...

Odd dog behaviour [ 9 Answers ]

I am dog sitting for a friends 2 yr old male zu (Sam). I have a female Am Eskie/Lab who is 4 yrs. The 2 dogs have known each other for quite sometime, but it has always been at the zu's home. They get along quite well with each other. My dog seems to be having some jealousy issues since...

Bad Behaviour [ 2 Answers ]

hi everyone, I am concerned with the way my 5 (soon to be 6) yr old niece has been acting. I'm sorry in advance I can tell this is going to be long and I hope you'll bare with me because I really need help. Firstly, she has always loved being the center of attention (what child doesnt) and...

Weird behaviour [ 3 Answers ]

My siamese cat, nearly 10 years old, has a weird behaviour which I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of... right after I give him a special treat and he eats it, he goes to my bedroom and howls piteously for about 10 minutes, unless I tell him to be quiet or pay attention to him. This only...

Weird Drinks - a/k/a Weird Food - a/k/a Gun Control [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, got to get this one started to go along with our Weird Dinners. Anyone ever had a Monkey Brain? How about a Duck Fart?

View more questions Search