Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2020, 09:53 AM
    Surrendering Green Card
    If a green card is surrendered in 2020, do taxes still have to be filed for 2019 and 2020?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2020, 10:47 AM
    Yes, tax returns WILL still be required for 2019 and 2020.

It takes 2 - 4 weeks for the surrender date to be shared with the IRS.
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2021, 08:31 AM
    Hi,

If Green Card surrender happened in 2020, do we have a choice to file as Resident (1040) for entire 2020 with last date of residency as 31st Dec 2020. Or do we mandatorily have to file a Dual Status return?

For Long-term residents, 8854 have to be sent along with the return, right?

If we are allowed to file 2020 federal 1040 one last time, can non-resident spouse be treated as resident for 2020 also (of course, we should report the global income of the non-resident spouse also)?

Thanks
    Sri
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 2, 2021, 09:47 AM
    Yes, you have the option to file as a resident for a full year. You can also choose to be treated as a dual-status alien and file a dual-status return. The return needs to be modeled both ways to determine the best course of action.

Yes, if you qualify as a long-term resident.

Yes, both spouses will be treated as resident as they will file a joint return.
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2021, 07:52 AM
    Thanks a lot AtlantaTaxExpert.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 3, 2021, 08:55 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After surrendering a green card can I get one again and how? [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of years ago I surrendered my green card now my wife and kids are back in the states and they are citizens how do I go about obtaining a green card againg and move back with them.

How can I save status from temporary green card to permanent green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm from india I'm newly coming in the US my marriage done in the 2009 and then they bring my document here in the US and the file it here and I get visa in December and I came to US in January 2010 after one month of marriage they left me because of gold and money needed more they findout my...

Applying green card after surrendering it once [ 1 Answers ]

My mother surrendered her green card last year in our native country and got herself 10 yrs visitor visa now she is here on visitor visa and has been issued 6 months visa on arrival at the airport, I am a usa citizen and would like to apply for mothers green card again, which form do I fill up?...

Surrendering the Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I am a green card holder and all other members of my family i.e. my wife and sons are US citizen. I am 65 years old and I want to go to my country and stay for a long time. I want to surrender my green card but want to obtain tourist visa for 10 years so that I can visit my family members...

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search