Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roxana1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2020, 11:28 AM
    How to file my taxes this year
    I went to Costa Rica last year January 2019 and got married over there. I filed the i-130 and it was approved on November. I just got email from NVC that it has created file and it is time to pay fees, do application DS-230 and submit documents. My question is...How do I file my Taxes this year? Do I file single? because I do not have any dependents and I live here in the U.S. my husband lives in Costa Rica and our marriage is only registered in Costa Rica since we got married there.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 12:08 PM
    A legal marriage ANYWHERE in the world is recognized by the IRS.

Now, to file jointly, your husband has to get an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), and that can be tricky from Costa Rica.

But it IS doable.

If you want details, please email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes on my SSI if I don't have taxes taken out during the year? [ 2 Answers ]

I draw one disabilty check from my employer which is tax free so nothing to claim there. I also draw SSI which does not have any taxes taken out of it. What is my filing status regarding income tax and how do I deduct my exemptions (house interest, medical expenses, etc)?

Does someone who has a ITIN and filed taxes last year have to file this year? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are married and filed Jointly last year and he has no social security number only a ITIN. Do we have to file his taxes this year?

Did not file taxes for this year! [ 3 Answers ]

I thought my parents filed for me this year but they didn't. What now?

Did not file taxes last year [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do if I forgot to file my taxes last year? Can I file them with this years taxes?

View more questions Search