Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wpcargyle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2019, 01:49 PM
    Supply leak under foundation.
    I believe that I have a cold water supply leak under my foundation. The back yard adjacent for 10 yards in each direction stay soaking wet. I have had a leak detection service check and they pronounced everything fine. I think they did a pressure test and a listening test. No detailed report.
    I turned off the water for a few weeks (its a guest house, unoccupied) and the water started to dry up. Turned the water back on for the leak detection and more water. Since, I have turned off the sprinkler cutoff and drained all of the valves. I will turn the water off when my son leaves after his Christmas visit.

Is it possible to snake a supply line with a video camera to find a leak?
    HELP!

Warren
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2019, 09:07 AM
    Hi Warren

If it was a large supply line like say 1.25" or larger then I would think it is possible. However, being a guest house I'm pretty sure the supply line would be too small to video.

The first thing I would do is to contact the leak detection company that "tested" your piping and get a detailed report on exactly what they did to certify this supply line "LEAK FREE".

Now, I have questions that if you can answer will help me help you a little better, OK?

1) Are you on well water or city/town water?

2) Is your water measured via a water meter?

3) Does the guest house have its own water meter?

4) You mentioned the sprinkler system. Is the sprinkler system on its own water meter? Was the irrigation system tested for leaks?

Start with these questions. Back to you...

Mark
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2019, 02:52 PM
    Great questions, especially 2, 3, and 4.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 26, 2019, 05:54 PM
    The best indication of a water supply side leak is a extrodinarily high water bill. Do you have that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspect drainage leak from bathroom slab foundation. [ 2 Answers ]

I live on the Gulf Coast in a home that in 30 years old and has a slab foundation. The carpet in my hall way in front of the hall bath is wet and smells faintly like the cleaner my daughter just used in the tub. We rarely use that bathroom. The tile in the bathroom is fine, but once you step on the...

Running pvc water supply through foundation [ 9 Answers ]

Hi - I'm running water into a shed under the foundation footing and up through the concrete floor. I read in the international residential code book that pipe under a foundation or through it needs to be protected with a supporting arch or pipe sleeve two sizes bigger than the water pipe. I can't...

Outside leak at foundation same wall as indoor shower [ 2 Answers ]

My Son owns a twenty year old brick home. There is a continual leak on top of the foundation on the outside of the house.Located in the interior of that same wall is a shower. A plumber suggested that the drain pan may be the problem but my Son has not used the shower in the past twenty days. He...

How to find shower leak on slab foundation [ 19 Answers ]

I have a leak from my shower. The water appears to seep from wall at baseboards into bedroom closet. How can I find and repair? Home built in 1996. Is that type of shower/tub built on a base of 2x4's or is it set right on the slab foundation. I am thinking I could cut access hole in closet wall to...

Leak from first floor shower to outside foundation [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new house and have a leak that needs to be fixed. The leak is from the first floor stall shower. The house is on a slab and when I run the shower for a few minutes and walk outside to the exterior area by the shower, I see water running down the foundation. Since the house is on...

View more questions Search