Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2019, 01:31 AM
    Circuit breakers tripped
    Two days ago we lost electric power to our house and were in dark, went to junction box found all the circuit breakers tripped question is why and how it can happen, reseted all and everything is normal sense then am just curious if any one have had the same experience to me it doesn't sound that all of them will trip if there is a problem with one circuit it will cause that breaker to trip, Thanks.
    John
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2019, 04:05 AM
    Any chance the tripped breakers are Arc Fault type? Some times a power failure can cause voltage surges that cause breakers to trip. There are devices on the grid call Reclosers, for example, if a tree limp hits a power line, the Recloser opens like a breaker, then automatically closes again, and usually tries to close three times, trying to clear the short, and if after closing 3 times, it will stay open. Ever notice during a storm, the lights blink on an off three times?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2019, 01:59 PM
    Thanks for your respond,
    I don't no if any of my breakers are ARC fault or not, to me it is a question that why all breakers tripped I have about 20 breaker installed in my junction box, it's been 3 days that I had reseted every thing is normal so far, How would I know that my breakers are ARC Fault type?
    Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2019, 05:26 AM
    Usually a blue test button on the front of each breaker, depending on the brand. During a power failure, oft times it is not a clean break, so to speak, could be something weird happened at the place of event, and caused a surge.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 23, 2019, 05:48 AM
    Was your event isolated to just your house, or was it more widespread to your neighbors, or beyond?
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2019, 11:34 AM
    Hello tkrussell FYI mine doesn't have the blue test buttons, yes it was weird what what happened.

talaniman amd glad to hear from you, yes it was only my house all the neighbors were ok after I reseted the breakers everything is normal, Thanks

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Circuit Issues - multiple circuit breakers turn off the same items [ 1 Answers ]

Issue: Home built in 1972 and we still have original electrical panel. There are spots for 20 circuits, and currently we have 11 - 20 filled with a combination of single and double circuit breakers. Odd circuits on the left, even on the right. We have come to discover that multiple circuits can...

What can cause an outlet to stop working if circuit breakers are not tripped? [ 1 Answers ]

We have several outlets in our bathrooms, one is directly over the other, that suddenly stopped working. We have checked the circuit breakers and none of them are tripped. And we have checked the appliances and they all work in other outlets.

Attempting to install GFCI circuit breakers (3 wires for 2 breakers) [ 6 Answers ]

OK here is my situation I have a Siemens box in my home I'm installing GFCI breakers to bring it up to code for insurance purposes Only thing is 4 rooms in this home are for some reason wired together on 3 wires (red black and white) connected to two separate breakers (30 Amps each) (two rooms...

View more questions Search