Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2020, 02:02 PM
    Saying there is no quid pro quo is NOTHING unless proven,
    I didn't say that. I said it was nothing period in and of itself. It's done in business all the time, millions of times a day. And if their FM and PM say there was no pressure on them, the money was delivered, and what Trump requested was not done, then I think you have a deep hole to scale out of.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2020, 05:37 PM
    Just because it did not succeed doesn't change the fact he tried. If you shoot someone and miss does that mean it's NOT a crime?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2020, 06:11 PM
    Just because it did not succeed doesn't change the fact he tried. If you shoot someone and miss does that mean it's NOT a crime?
    The fact that the other party of the supposed qpq knew nothing of it tells us there was no qpq attempted. It takes two to tango.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2020, 06:40 PM
    I can agree except for as pointed out earlier, we have not really established when Ukraine knew of the hold, and whether they could have done anything about it if they did know, which just adds to the criminality and diliberate bad intent of taking advantage of a helpless government. Your version of QPQ suggests some equality between the parties that obviously didn't exist or was agreed upon given that a country at war would be at the mercy and good grace of providers of the goods or services to execute that war.

Clearly Ukraine was a dependent in this case, so wheher they knew of the hold or not is immaterial. In effect any dancing done by them would hardly be voluntary, or of free will and good conscious, I would argue since they were effectively at the mercy of the US. That's a very vulnerable position to be in and enough too make the exchange of an investigation announcement for the needed supplies and weapons of war a leveraged QPQ they could hardly resist.

What is especially egregious here though is the assumption of no pressure that is also put forth citing public statements by the president and prime minister, and just submit how the hell could they even publicly admit such a thing? Who really could and chance losing support and supplies, and one thing the dufus is known for is making those that piss him off pay dearly. Just ask Flake, Corker, Sandford, or any senator that dares vote against him in this trial, or his political enemies period, real or perceived.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something we never thought a conservative government would do [ 5 Answers ]

At least not voluntarily Banking Royal Commission: Malcolm Turnbull announces inquiry We are going to have an inquiry into the practices of banks. There has long been a stink about the financial services industry with the banks being forced to compensate cheated customers and remove certain...

Conservative vs. Liberals [ 3 Answers ]

What is the basic difference between conservatives and liberals? Why do we see things so differently? I am posting here although the subject could be in the philosophy thread or the religion thread as it touches all of them. I am going to throw something out there for you to kick around. Of...

Conservative energy plan [ 20 Answers ]

My question is this: Why do conservatives take such a pessimistic approach when it comes to developing clean renewable energy? The problem I have with conservatives is that they claim patriotism but the things they promote makes me think don't have faith that we can figure this problem out. I...

Is McCain a 'modern' conservative? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it any wonder that the 'base' distrusts him? The Curious Mind of John McCain

Liberal to conservative, just like that! [ 33 Answers ]

It was years ago that I first heard this little story, and I just heard it re-told today, a little different of course, but the meaning still hit as hard as it did the first time I heard it. I just wonder what anyone's opinion of the story might be: A man was attending dinner at a friends...

View more questions Search