Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2019, 01:25 PM
    Yes some divisive forces have been vanquished
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2019, 04:28 PM
    They didn't get the job done so away with them and we'll see what the new crop brings
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2019, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    They didn't get the job done so away with them and we'll see what the new crop brings
    Just, shame you don't think the same about your own crop of miscreates
    Expert

Dec 15, 2019, 05:59 PM
    Start at the top and get rid of his miscreants! See I do feel the same. 8D
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2019, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Start at the top and get rid of his miscreants! See I do feel the same. 8D
    No get rid of all miscreates
    Expert

Dec 16, 2019, 07:15 AM
    Shame we have only miscreates to replace the miscreates with. What a daunting dilemna.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2019, 04:05 PM
    yes it is
    Expert

Dec 17, 2019, 08:11 AM
    No biggie Clete, not much has changed over the last few centuries. Same people different names.
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2019, 03:37 PM
    Tal, I think people are different now, much more focus on self
    Expert

Dec 17, 2019, 03:47 PM
    Probably so. We haven't come very far up the evolutionary ladder just more stuff to play with when we get bored of self.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2019, 04:30 PM
    I would agree completely with that.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2019, 06:28 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I would agree completely with that.
    I have to agree with you both, but look around. The competition for resources is steep, and getting steeper, while the OPPORTUNITIES and options for those resources are scarce and getting scarcer. They just don't make as many bootstraps anymore. The line is long for where they do.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2019, 11:35 AM
    while the OPPORTUNITIES and options for those resources are scarce and getting scarcer. They just don't make as many bootstraps anymore. The line is long for where they do.
    As much as I agreed with Clete's statement, I disagree with yours. This is the most amazing time of life to be alive in American history. There are jobs on practically every street corner. There is money to be made nearly everywhere you look. If a young person can't make it now, then they would have had no hope at all a hundred years ago. You might have to start off working two jobs. It won't be easy, but with a 3.5% unemployment rate, it's a workers market out there.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2019, 01:29 PM
    Comparable with working two jobs are the working couples because they need to. I don't know if it's just a temporary situation or not, but clearly people need mo'money to survive. I also remember Reagan touting all those jobs and if you looked they were low wage jobs or those requiring exceptional skills. I know many school teachers working 2nd jobs to raise their kids which isn't an easy thing either since advancement in most areas are few and limited for the vast majority of workers.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2019, 02:11 PM
    which isn't an easy thing
    Kind of reminds me of the old parable about the man who complained about having no shoes until he met a man who had no feet. I've been that teacher working two jobs so I can speak of that, but I was raised to do what you had to do to support your family. It's not easy, but it's much better than no job at all. And I eventually worked my way into a principal's position. If you're looking for easy, then I can't help you.

advancement in most areas are few and limited for the vast majority of workers.
    I don't think that's true. I've seen it happen over and over again.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2019, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Kind of reminds me of the old parable about the man who complained about having no shoes until he met a man who had no feet. I've been that teacher working two jobs so I can speak of that, but I was raised to do what you had to do to support your family. It's not easy, but it's much better than no job at all. And I eventually worked my way into a principal's position. If you're looking for easy, then I can't help you.
    Been there done that myself, and I had ONE good job but stuff happens all the time like losing a furnace in the winter, or blowing an engine coming home from work, just to name a few things. I wouldn't know easy if it bit me in the face. Still don't! Just makes me grateful to find a good path, and the things along the way, and have a lot of empathy for those not as blessed as I obviously have been.

I don't think that's true. I've seen it happen over and over again.
    So have I JL, and seen some really bad stuff that can happen by accident or mistake and through no fault of some. Sometimes you can't help but empathize to some extent. Sometimes it's okay to take a hardcore stance, but not all the time with everybody.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2019, 03:23 PM
    I'm all for being empathetic with your own money. I have done it on many occasions and I'm sure you have as well. It's when you want to be empathetic with someone else's money, and then want to feel like the very soul of charity for doing it, that I blow the whistle and call a foul.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2019, 06:09 PM
    I have suggested many times you take that up with your state since they control the money, not the feds in Mississippi. You don't think you're going to tell Texas, or any other state what to do, do you? I respectfully submit JL, I don't think you can tell your fellow statesmen what to do.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2019, 06:52 PM
    I have suggested many times you take that up with your state since they control the money, not the feds in Mississippi. You don't think you're going to tell Texas, or any other state what to do, do you? I respectfully submit JL, I don't think you can tell your fellow statesmen what to do.
    Now that's funny. You think the feds don't control it? What do you think we're doing, going up to D.C. with a gun and doing an armed robbery? Of course they control it. They control all federal spending, so if you don't like us getting so much, ask them to change it. I'll be with you on that one.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2019, 10:52 PM
    I don't care what you get JL, but why whine about it, just don't take it if it's so bad. What, do the feds hold a gun to your head and make you take the money? LOL, it's crazy hollering about people taking YOUR money while you take theirs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something we never thought a conservative government would do [ 5 Answers ]

At least not voluntarily Banking Royal Commission: Malcolm Turnbull announces inquiry We are going to have an inquiry into the practices of banks. There has long been a stink about the financial services industry with the banks being forced to compensate cheated customers and remove certain...

Conservative vs. Liberals [ 3 Answers ]

What is the basic difference between conservatives and liberals? Why do we see things so differently? I am posting here although the subject could be in the philosophy thread or the religion thread as it touches all of them. I am going to throw something out there for you to kick around. Of...

Conservative energy plan [ 20 Answers ]

My question is this: Why do conservatives take such a pessimistic approach when it comes to developing clean renewable energy? The problem I have with conservatives is that they claim patriotism but the things they promote makes me think don't have faith that we can figure this problem out. I...

Is McCain a 'modern' conservative? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it any wonder that the 'base' distrusts him? The Curious Mind of John McCain

Liberal to conservative, just like that! [ 33 Answers ]

It was years ago that I first heard this little story, and I just heard it re-told today, a little different of course, but the meaning still hit as hard as it did the first time I heard it. I just wonder what anyone's opinion of the story might be: A man was attending dinner at a friends...

View more questions Search