Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khmahi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2004, 08:12 AM
    Autometic shutdown after a while
    Dear All,
    My problem is my PC autometically shuted down after working for 1 to 2 hours. If I try switch on again it just try to on for few seconds and get off itself. If I power off for more than 2/3 hours and switchon again it starts for 1/2 hours and again autometically shuted down and happened the same. Please give me some suggessions so that I can try to get rid form this problem. Thankz
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 12:08 PM
    Autometic shutdown after a while
    I would lean towards a overheating problem. I conclude this from what you are telling us. When you let it cool down for a time, it stays on for 1/2 hours. If you don't let it cool down, it shuts down within seconds.

Here are some things to check:

-Are any of the air vents blocked?
    -Have any of the fans failed? Are they dusty or blocked?
    -Is the system overclocked?
    -Is the power supply over taxed?
    -Are the heat sinks (radiators) properly attached?
    -Is the computer case open? Often with the side panels off, the proper airflow is disrupted.

How about new hardware? Any hardware that was installed just before the shutdowns should be highly suspect.

-Some video cards draw a great deal of power.
    -Did you add a new hard drive? Is it blocking internal ventilation? Are power requirements exceeded? Does the drive feel very hot to the touch? (Be careful!)
    -In my experience this is not real likely, but sometimes the memory chips can run hot. You can get special heat sinks (radiators) for them.

Remember, heat is a COMPUTER KILLER! Actually, shutdowns are a relatively GOOD thing! Heat will cause the lifetime of all the componants to be drastically shortened.

Now, after all that, there is a small chance that the motherboard is registering a false alarm. On many systems there are temperature sensors and fan rpm sensors. If the temperature or the fan goes out of range, it may trigger a system shutdown. Perhaps you have monitoring software installed, or perhaps the BIOS can be tweaked. But, PLEASE don't do this until you rule out ACTUAL overheating. If you provide us with motherboard or system specifics, we may be able to provide you with ways to access and tweak the temperature and fan settings.

I am sure that others on this forum will have good suggestions. I have never melted a system myself, but I have been called to many a post-mortem for heat killed PC's. Feel free to return with your findings and ask more questions. Of course, the more information you give us, the more specific we can get.

I hope that this helps.

Guy
    khmahi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2004, 04:37 AM
    Re: Autometic shutdown after a while
    Thankz for the wonderful solutions. My power supply's
    Fan makes sound while rotating. My mother board is Intel Original (845) and 32MB riva TNT Intel P4 1.6 Mhz.

I use to open my system one in a while.

Please help me out.

With thankz
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2004, 06:37 AM
    Re: Autometic shutdown after a while
    Great, we've got good information!

#1 - That power supply fan is certainly suspect.

Can you carefully blow the dust out with a vacuum cleaner on reverse?

Check out

http://www.ehow.com/tips_3664.html

And

http://www.ehow.com/how_3664_clean-c...s-insides.html

Make sure that you are well grounded, as static electricity ranks right up there with heat for killing PCS!

I'd first attack it from the outside vent (probably in the back). Then I'd power up and see if the power supply's fan noise had changed. If it hadn't I'd take the cover off and CAREFULLY blow the dust out. If there is a lot of dust, you may want to do this outside.

It is possible that the power supply will need to be replaced, but first lets try this:

# 2 - Your motherboard should have temperature and fan sensors. We need to see how hot it is in there, and also if any fans are failing.

If you have a utility installed for this purpose, then use it. If not, you can download and install Intel's active monitor from:

http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

I don't have an Intel motherboard, so I can't test it. If the application is able to keep logs, let us see a few hours worth of them. If not, just keep a notepad handy and write down some history. If you can, start from the cooled off state.

If I were to place a bet, I'd expect one or more temperature zones to gradually increase over time.

Let us know what happens!

Also, my comment about the case cover wasn't meant to discourage you from going into your computer. I meant that you don't want to do what I've sometimes done and LEAVE THE CASE OPEN for weeks at a time. That will disrupt the airflow!

Have fun,

Guy

cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 19, 2004, 08:10 PM
    Bottom line... It sounds like an overheating problem. Check the CPU fan to see if it is spinning correctly if at all. Place your index finger squarly on the "center" of the spinning fan (NOT THE BLADES!) and make the fan stop for a couple of seconds and then let it go. If it spins slowly or jerks, then you must replace the fan immediately. Do not use the PC until the fan is replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shutdown problems [ 17 Answers ]

Ever sense my friend told me to overclock my comp so much that it spazzed out I've been having problems. When my friend told me to overclock it, I did and it messed up, so the Cmos had to be pulled. That worked fine. But eversense, whenever I try to shut down my comptuer, and turn it back on, it...

Startup and Shutdown [ 10 Answers ]

Is there anyway I can not logon at the windows screen when I startup? I find it really troublesome. Just on the computer and I want it to bring me to my windows so my program can all start running rather than having to wait at the logon screen and wait for me to press OK... It was says select user...

Computor shutdown [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old sony vaio (windows 98SE) edition, computer locks up frequently, I have 191. Mg ram running 77% free. I have installed spyware buster, seem to help, but still locking up. Any advice. Thanks Jerry

Router shutdown [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Linksys router which works fine most of the time. But when I try to use multimedia (such as on line radio), I loose connectivity and have to power the router off/on to restore connection. I can go to any site, as long as I don't try to listen to music online there is no problem. Have tried...

Shutdown LAN [ 13 Answers ]

Dear all, Please help me in this matter , I want to shut down the LAN with password proetected.It Is possible. Please help me to do this to stop LAN from working... Please help me urgent

View more questions Search