Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 13, 2020, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I'm not a member of the NRA so I can say what they do. I wasn't trying to be critical of your gun control. It is simply true that your government policies are much more repressive than ours. When you can't own a gun for the purpose of self defense, then it seems to me that the gov has gone too far, but that's what you guys do so it's none of my business. It's just good for the truth to be put on the table for the purposes of comparison.

We trust the electoral policy as well, but bear in mind that Hitler was elected initially. It was easy for him to gain control since private gun ownership was not legal.
    The Germans were hurting economically, and Hitler was smart enough to exploit it, and consolidate power through some shrewd appointments and rhetorical propaganda. He divided and conquered and export it to the rest of Europe.

It's always someone else's fault. I wonder if a wildly out of control out of wedlock birth rate coupled, of course, with absent fathers might possibly have a little something to do with it? I think this practice of forever wanting to place the blame elsewhere is terribly destructive. People do better when they are challenged to rise above difficulties and better their own lives.
    All you say could be true to a small degree, but it's not blaming others to say the rents to high, and the paycheck is too small. The transition from industry to service economy leaves a lot of industrial workers in the cold. Take it from someone who hired into a 20,000 worker operation that shrunk to 3000 when he retired. ALL the towns around the operation shrunk with it. Not just my town but every town with a factory at the heart of its livelihood. Ask them coalminers how that works.

I get you don't like the social changes, but it's the economic ones that destroy towns and states brudder.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2020, 03:34 PM
    we don't have this need of "self defence", we don't have criminals running around killing people, murder is a rare event here. Yes, there are criminal classes and if they use guns it is most likely to murder each other. You see this is a nonsense, we are not defenceless, we just don't have enemies on the level you seem to think you do. we are not a paranoid society.
    You do realize that no one had suggested those things were the case??? Good thing you're not paranoid.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2020, 03:47 PM
    All you say could be true to a small degree, but it's not blaming others to say the rents to high, and the paycheck is too small. The transition from industry to service economy leaves a lot of industrial workers in the cold. Take it from someone who hired into a 20,000 worker operation that shrunk to 3000 when he retired. ALL the towns around the operation shrunk with it. Not just my town but every town with a factory at the heart of its livelihood. Ask them coalminers how that works.
    That's all fairly stated. I do understand that it is a problem. I would think you would be applauding Trump for the return of hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs. We gained 10 times more manufacturing jobs in Trump's first 21 months compared to Obama's final 21 months, so can we get some sort of a "Way to go!" for that?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#2aa2eabc5850

Even at all of that, we must begin to tell people that single women having children out of wedlock is not a problem "to a small degree", but is an ENORMOUS problem, and we do people a equally enormous disservice by being quiet about these issues.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2020, 06:13 PM
    [COLOR=#001000][/COLOR]
    Even at all of that, we must begin to tell people that single women having children out of wedlock is not a problem "to a small degree", but is an ENORMOUS problem, and we do people a equally enormous disservice by being quiet about these issues.
    Single women having children out of wedlock is not a problem, it is idiocy since effective pregnancy control has been available for decades. What can you do when society is rejecting marriage?
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2020, 06:23 PM
    Single women having children out of wedlock is not a problem, it is idiocy since effective pregnancy control has been available for decades. What can you do when society is rejecting marriage?
    Very well said.
    Expert

Jan 14, 2020, 06:34 AM
    And the rejection of marriage has exactly what to do with closing factories and and a living wage, or the tax code?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2020, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    And the rejection of marriage has exactly what to do with closing factories and and a living wage, or the tax code?
    Here we go, change to subject
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2020, 04:05 PM
    Ah. You ignored what I posted about the revival of manufacturing jobs with Trump. You cannot appeal to closing factories. Besides, factories have opened and closed for centuries, but this business of absent fathers is largely a new occurrence. It is likely the most serious social phenomenon in our country, and is particularly acute in the black community. It is an enormous problem.
    Expert

Jan 14, 2020, 05:16 PM
    The most recent numbers, and the trend since October, and the poignant reality that we are talking people here not statistics.

Most of the December employment gains came from service industries, extending a trend present throughout 2019 amid broad-based softness in the manufacturing sector.Within the services sector, retail trade added 41,200 jobs in December, more than reversing the decline of 14,100 from November. Education and health-services was another major job gainer, adding 36,000 positions in December. However, this was just half the additions as seen in November.Goods-producing industries lost a net 1,000 jobs in December, after adding 52,000 positions in November. Manufacturing lost 12,000 jobs, versus the gain of 58,000 in November boosted by the conclusion of the GM strike.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2020, 06:10 PM
    Even though I should know better than to follow your links, I did take the first one to find out this: "U.S. economy adds 145,000 jobs in December, unemployment rate holds at 3.5%"

You never did give your opinion about the fact that Trump added TEN TIMES more manufacturing jobs in his first 21 months than Obama did in his last 21 months. If the poignant reality is that we are talking people, then you should be thrilled at that news. Is your bias showing through?

Manufacturing lost 12,000 jobs, versus the gain of 58,000 in November boosted by the conclusion of the GM strike.
    Net gain of 46,000 in two months. Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
    Expert

Jan 14, 2020, 06:50 PM
    Beats NOTHING for sure but man be accurate, they expected more but didn't get it and 52,000 strikers goin back to work goosed the numbers.

Speaking of goosed.

High valuations, low earnings growth

Such remarkable gains in 2019 have left U.S. stocks expensive — in the 10th decile, meaning equities have been cheaper at least 90% of the time.
    “Such elevated valuations in past periods have weighed on equity returns over the subsequent five years and lowered the odds of positive outcomes,” Goldman Sachs Investment Strategy Group CIO Sharmin Mossavar-Rahmani said in the group’s 2020 outlook. “That the bulk of last year’s returns came from higher valuations, and not growth in earnings, only compounds investors’ concerns.”
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2020, 08:24 PM
    I'd still like to know what you think about Trump having TEN TIMES more manufacturing jobs growth in his first 21 months than Obama did in his final 21 months.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#676968825850

At a town hall in June 2016, President Obama famously said that some manufacturing jobs “are just not going to come back.” He went on to mock then-candidate Trump by saying he’d need a “magic wand” to make good on this manufacturing job promises.

Hmm. I wonder what room Trump keeps his magic wand in?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2020, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I'd still like to know what you think about Trump having TEN TIMES more manufacturing jobs growth in his first 21 months than Obama did in his final 21 months.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#676968825850

At a town hall in June 2016, President Obama famously said that some manufacturing jobs “are just not going to come back.” He went on to mock then-candidate Trump by saying he’d need a “magic wand” to make good on this manufacturing job promises.

Hmm. I wonder what room Trump keeps his magic wand in?
    Obama was hauling us out of the pit W had dumped us into. Trump then continued riffing off Obama's efforts.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2020, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Obama was hauling us out of the pit W had dumped us into. Trump then continued riffing off Obama's efforts.
    Every regime blames the previous for adversity and claims credit for prosperity
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2020, 09:45 PM
    That tired excuse won't work. We are talking about the final 21 months of Obama's eight years compared to the first 21 months of Trump's admin, and an increase of 1,000%. The Obama apologists just don't want to accept the truth that Trump has done much better in that regard than Obama did.
    Expert

Jan 15, 2020, 04:00 AM
    I have never had a problem admitting the dufus inherited a much better economy than Obama did, a thousand times better, giving the dufus a solid foundation to build on for sure. Repub or dem whoever won the presidency would have benefitted even HC, but the dufus won and he benefits. That's simple enough to understand and so far so good for some that are in the right place to also benefit.

What's also simple to understand is while many benefit there is little effort to benefit those that weren't in the right place who cannot benefit with the rest of the country or helped through this transition from a recession to a great economy. Maybe it's taking longer to trickle down to the least, so when do you think that will happen?
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2020, 04:14 AM
    And again. "That tired excuse won't work. We are talking about the final 21 months of Obama's eight years compared to the first 21 months of Trump's admin, and an increase of 1,000%. The Obama apologists just don't want to accept the truth that Trump has done much better in that regard than Obama did."
    Expert

Jan 15, 2020, 04:50 AM
    Nobody has to apologize for Obama doing his job well enough that the dufus didn't have to spend his first term fixing stuff. Where did you get that from? Unfortunately the dufus has done more than just juice a healthy economy, and he is being impeached for it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2020, 05:27 AM
    Impeachment envy
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2020, 06:05 AM
    I don't know what the controversy is all about in the comparison of Obama to Trump in the arena of jobs, economy, and the general mood of workers: I work with Blue Collar workers every day in manufacturing and there is a night and day difference in their moods, outlooks, and expressions about their own economic positions in the country....what I am getting at is that there is a very distinct change in the perceptions and attitudes of workers now as compared to when Obama was in Office....Trump gave the work force a big morale boost compared to Obama when workers saw no sunshine/light at the end of the tunnel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I see things and hear things that aren't there [ 2 Answers ]

I see and hear things that aren't there and I sometimes have a really high pressure in my head that can make me really dizzy and hurts quite abit I don't know what's causing it but its getting worse

Can I tow a 1974 16 foot shasta trailer with my toyota forerunner [ 3 Answers ]

Need to tow a 16 foot 1974 shasta travel trailer with my 1993 toyota forerunner

Do good things really fall apart so better things can fall together? [ 3 Answers ]

Heard this quote the other day that reads "good things fall apart so better things can fall together". This made me think about my current situation, my last relationship was good and after three months of it ending it still hurts that its over, but after finally sticking to NC I know I am doing...

View more questions Search