Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jinaburner8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2019, 06:35 PM
    Silly Question But It’s Bothering Me...
    Hello. My name is Jina and I’m a huge marvel fan. I know this sounds like a really silly question but it’s been bugging me lately. I enjoy from time to time listening to music and pretending to be an epic-female-loki fighting bad guys. I am one hundred percent aware that loki is not an actual god and he does not exist. Is it bad that I do this and am I going to hell? Thank you!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2019, 06:43 PM
    I'm a preacher's daughter and retired Christian teacher. No, you're not going to hell. Have fun with your imagination!

I have a thick file full of wonderful stories my younger son wrote when he was in high school and college. Those stories grew out of his love for and fascination with Marvel comics' characters, D&D, and role-playing games.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2019, 09:14 AM
    My 30 year old daughter cosplays as characters ranging from My Little Pony to Assassins' Creed. It's nothing, and you shouldn't let anyone else tell you it is. As WG said, enjoy your imagination. That kind of imagining is where the best stories come from.
    (Incidentally, I used to have a complete collection of Marvel comics from Fantastic Four #1 down through about 1973. I read them nonstop until I finally had to sell them to go to college. Enjoy Marvel!)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 2, 2019, 09:20 AM
    As long as you can seperate reality from your imagination, you can enjoy your imagination. Still have all my old comics 8D
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2019, 01:49 PM
    Going to hell is not related to the games we play. The primary question would be have you placed your faith in Christ? I'd suggest you read John 3:16 and think about the meaning.

BTW, I don't think your question was silly at all.
    jinaburner8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2019, 04:31 PM
    Thank you so much. I know it was kinda silly but I've been feeling really errant. Again, thank you so much and God Bless!

Haha thank you so much!

Thank You so much that really helped! God Bless!

Haha thanks a bunch!
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2019, 05:13 PM
    Hi Jina, Everybody gave you good answers but I'd be wary about that going to hell reply which said the primary question about hell being your faith in Christ. That's meant to frighten you into that fundamentalist brand of Christianity. Don't fall for it. Have fun with your games.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2019, 09:52 AM
    I don't like to "well actually" my friend Athos, but that confession of Jesus as Lord and Savior is the oldest form of Christianity there is. It's the original, the one that Jesus said His resurrection would prove and cement in place.
    Fundamentalists have perverted it, yes. But it's not a good idea to throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2019, 11:11 AM
    Yes, Jina, that confession of Jesus as Lord and Savior is the oldest form of Christianity there is. But we don't confess Christ crucified simply because we're scared of going to hell and want to avoid it, do we. Or do we? I sure hope not!
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2019, 01:16 PM
    But we don't confess Christ crucified simply because we're scared of going to hell and want to avoid it, do we. Or do we? I sure hope not!
    Two honest questions.

1.What do you mean when you say we "confess Christ crucified?"
    2. We don't confess Christ simply because we're scared of going to hell? Why do you hope that is not true? BTW, I'm somewhat in sympathy with your statement, but I'm not sure why that would be a bad point of beginning.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2019, 10:28 AM
    Jlisenbe,
    I think what WG is saying is, if that's our only reason to keep confessing Christ, we're seriously short-changing ourselves. I've known people who have come to Jesus out of fear of hell, and that's fine. But there's so much more to a relationship with Him than that, it's impossible to list all of it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2019, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Two honest questions.

1.What do you mean when you say we "confess Christ crucified?"
    2. We don't confess Christ simply because we're scared of going to hell? Why do you hope that is not true? BTW, I'm somewhat in sympathy with your statement, but I'm not sure why that would be a bad point of beginning.
    We are God's children. He loves us, sent His Son Jesus to die for us so we can be in heaven forever. So when, as a little girl, I was told to pick my toys before going to bed, I obeyed, not because I was scared my parents would beat me and threaten me with even worse punishment. I picked up my toys because I loved my parents and wanted to show them that.

In the same way, we confess Christ as our Lord and Savior, not because we're scared of "hell" if we don't, but because we love Him for sacrificing His life for ours.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2019, 04:27 PM
    I think what WG is saying is, if that's our only reason to keep confessing Christ, we're seriously short-changing ourselves. I've known people who have come to Jesus out of fear of hell, and that's fine. But there's so much more to a relationship with Him than that, it's impossible to list all of it.
    I agree with you completely. However, if I know that lost sinners go to hell as Jesus plainly lays out in Matt. 25, then putting my faith in Christ to avoid hell is a good idea. In fact it's a fantastically good idea. It is, I think, what Peter referred to in Acts 2. The people were justifiably alarmed when Peter preached, and after they asked what they should do he said, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.” He then told them, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.” Their appeal to Peter stemmed from their understanding of their guilt and fear of punishment.

I picked up my toys because I loved my parents and wanted to show them that.
    So you were always obedient and never rebelled against your parents' commands? They never, ever had to punish you?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2019, 06:19 PM
    So you were always obedient and never rebelled against your parents' commands? They never, ever had to punish you?
    I was the oldest of four, was always told I was the good example for my sibs and the children in the congregation, I never rebelled (to do what?) and no, was never punished that I can recall.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2019, 07:14 PM
    I never rebelled (to do what?) and no, was never punished that I can recall.
    Then you are very much the exception. When I was a principal for 24 years, I met very few parents who had children who just magically obeyed at all times with no need of consequences. At any rate, the Bible is very clear that everyone sins and that all are guilty. "All we like sheep have gone astray. Each one has turned to his own way."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2019, 07:42 PM
    Then you are very much the exception. When I was a principal for 24 years, I met very few parents who had children who just magically obeyed at all times with no need of consequences. At any rate, the Bible is very clear that everyone sins and that all are guilty. "All we like sheep have gone astray. Each one has turned to his own way."
    No, I wasn't the exception. Back when rocks were cooling and I was a kid, there wasn't much to do to get into trouble. I lived in a small German dairy farm community so my friends' days were filled with school and farm work. Once I got home from school, I helped sibs with schoolwork, played with them in our huge backyard, helped my mom with laundry (clothesline was strung across our back yard), meal prep, and cleanup. Families had one wallphone, usually on the kitchen wall, and it was not to be used by children unless permission had been given for a SHORT call. And it goes on from there.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2019, 05:22 AM
    Consequences for not accepting you as a shepherd they should follow because you had power and authority? I haven't found many principals who had the time or money to find out why children didn't obey, they just did the discipline thing on the kids and parents with no efforts at real help. Not accusing you personally, you probably did the best you could with the resources you had.

Right?
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2019, 05:38 AM
    When you have students for five years, you get to know them and you get to know the parents as well.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2019, 06:31 AM
    What kinds of programs did you have to help those kids and parents you knew so well? Why did they act out, rebel or whatever bad behavior they had?
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2019, 06:38 AM
    What kinds of programs did you have to help those kids and parents you knew so well? Why did they act out, rebel or whatever bad behavior they had?
    We had a number of programs which included everything from special ed to a State mental health program. The primary issue was nearly always the parent(s) and not so much the student. I found that if we could get a student in kindergarten and work with them for five years, then our success rate was very good. The real problem involved students who would come to us for six months and then move, and then perhaps return a year or two later, and so on. But if I could get the parent to work with me, then we had a very good opportunity for success. We did have the relatively rare student with emotional issues so severe that they ended up going to a treatment facility. I had very little confidence in those places. The "treatments" they used were rarely successful. The best treatment was a sane, safe, loving, disciplined, and structured home environment coupled, of course, with the same environment at school. The mental health lady we had attached to our school was "old school" and did a wonderful job. We all worked together as a pretty good team.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silly question? [ 10 Answers ]

Okay, this is a little bit dumb, but I would like to hear some opinions. A few days ago I suddenly found myself attracted to a co-worker who's in another department down the hall. I would smile and say hello whenever we passed. My smiles were warm and I extended the eye contact for a second or...

Probably A Silly Question [ 12 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right section, but felt that perhaps doggy people might understand better where I am coming from with this... sorry it's a bit morbid. I want to build a log cabin in my garden for my friend to live in and the only place for it means that it will be over the...

Silly question, but still please answer eh ;) [ 26 Answers ]

OK, you may all think I'm being overly worried about this situation, but that's just me eh ;) Anyhow, here's the backstory... I'm a senior in university and for the longest time, obviously until recently, was in a longterm relationship (nearly 4 years), we began dating summer after HS, both at...

View more questions Search