Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    None business Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2019, 06:14 PM
    Hear flushing noise
    I live in a single family house but i can hear flushing noises in my master bathroom when there isn’t a toilet in the house being flushed and no water is running. It is like a toilet flushing next door.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 1, 2019, 03:07 AM
    That's a very plausible and likely explanation. Has it always been that way, or is this something that just started?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2019, 07:46 AM
    Start here:

1) Lift the toilet seat and see if you can see water trickling into the bowl. If you see water trickling into the toilet then the FLAPPER needs to be replaced to resolve the issue.

2) Lift the toilet tank lid and look into the tank...see if water is overflowing the tube in the center of the tank. If water is overflowing the tube in the tank then the FILL VALVE needs to be replaced.

3) Do these two things for ALL toilets in the home.

4) If you have a forced water heating system you could have AIR pockets in the system circulating around the house and causing gurgling noises. If this is the case then the heating system needs to have the air bled out of the system.

5) If you have a sump pump in the basement it could be that you have ground water coming into the sump pit and the sound you hear is the pump pumping the water out.

Check these things...post back as needed.

Mark
    None business Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2019, 12:51 PM
    I first heard it periodically about a year ago. I hadn't heard it for a while but I have been hearing it occasionally the last few weeks again.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 2, 2019, 01:13 AM
    I think a check of your own system is a great idea just to eliminate it as a possible cause of that flushing noise. Keep a journal of this occurance and see if a pattern emerges like when windows are likely open because of the weather, or times of day/night, or other appliances like a washing machine in use. Let us know what you find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise after flushing loo [ 2 Answers ]

Every time we flush the loo there is a loud vibrating noise which lessens when turning on cold tap. How do we fix this please?

Weird noise. Anyone ever hear something like this? [ 3 Answers ]

In my basement, where the water and propane gas pipes enter, I hear a noise periodically throughout the day which I can best describe as being like a light ball dropped on a hard surface from a few inches above, and then quickly bouncing a few times. I have visually inspected the area while the...

Noise after flushing [ 1 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet it is as if the sistern is still filling - there is rippling water in the toiler bowl - it used to stop but now it goes on and on?

I hear noise like air coming out of a balloon by my water heaterwhile flushing toilet [ 5 Answers ]

Every time I flush the toilet as soon as I start flushing I hear this sound like air is slowly seeping out of a balloon, but the noise seems like its by my water heater

My toilet makes noise after flushing, however, no vibration, just noise. [ 7 Answers ]

My toilet makes a high pitched noise after being flushed. I don't have the ballcock type valve, and there is no vibration, only noise that stops after the toilet has filled.

View more questions Search