Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frazwood Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2019, 01:37 PM
    Lights flicker when washing machine and dryer are being used
    A buddy of mine is having issues at his house. I am pretty handy, so he asked me to take a look. Basically, when he runs the washer and the dryer at the same time, the lights in the house will flicker a bit.

When I inspected the situation, the washer and the dryer were plugged into the same 120-Volt receptacle. The dryer is a natural gas dryer, so I figured this was okay (i.e., not too much power for a single receptacle).

Next, I inspected the electrical panel. The panel mostly contains aluminum wires, which is not anything that I have ever experienced before. The circuit with the washer/dryer is definitely a thicker wire than the other wires in the house. I could easily re-wire the circuit in question using modern, copper wire. It would require about 25 feet of wire (if that) and it'd take me 30 minutes (everything is exposed, so pretty easy).

That said, any other suggestions as to the cause of the lights flickering?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2019, 06:40 AM
    I suspect the washer/dryer wire is #10 aluminum, which is the correct size for a 20 amp circuit using AL wire. Inform your friend, if there is ever a property insurance inspection of the building, one hot item is aluminum wire, and they will require actions taken to mitigate the condition. What usually happens is the lights that are on the same circuit will flicker. Can you determine if the the lights that flicker are on the same circuit? If no lights are on the circuit, there are other issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kudk03ltbs2 washing machine lights blinking [ 0 Answers ]

The washing machine KitchenAid model number is Kudk 03 ITBS2. The lights blinks when do you press start , sani rinse or other buttons. What can I do to fix the problem.

Moving Washing Machine and Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to build another room in the unfinished part of my basement BUT I would like to move my washing machine and dryer to another unfinished part so I can use the windows in the room and then only have to build 1 more wall. Does anybody know how far away the washing machine/dryer has to be...

Lights staying on washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a Hotpoint WF541 and the two lights that say reduce creases and extra rinse won't turn off. Otherwise it seems to be working normally

Relocating washing machine and dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I'm attempting to relocate my washing machine and dryer to my garage. Technically I will be building out a portion of the garage so it will be climate controlled. I can handle the hot and cold water lines but I'm concerned about the drain. My neighbor was a general contractor and he thinks the...

Sewage smell in washing machine/dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I've had an ongoing problem with sewage backing up into the sink next to the washing machine. The sink was backing up to the point of overflow. So we raised the sink about 4 feet off the floor but there was still a little brown sludge flowing into the sink. A hose from the washing machine runs off...

View more questions Search