Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ColorfulUnicorn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2019, 06:06 PM
    I NEED help
    I babysit three little boys, ages 9, 4, and 1, for a family member, and they live with us. The 4 year old has been giving me such difficulty lately. He hits and kicks our animals, he is mean to me and his brothers, he will smile at me while he does something bad. I always try to distract him, but nothing works, I read to him, we talk, watch Barney, anything I try fails. I put him in the corner several times a day for different reasons. He will scream and cry and won't stop telling me he wants out of the corner, no matter how many times I explain to him why he is in there. When he gets out of the corner I always ask him why he was in there, and he answers me. He understands what he did wrong. When he has something he isn't supposed to, I will calmly tell him it is a no-no, and to give it to me. He starts crying immediately and I have to tell him several times to give it to me. Just yesterday he started hurting himself when he gets mad. I try so hard to explain why he shouldn't do that, and so do others, but he does not listen to anyone. He does what he wants, when he wants. I have looked at parenting websites and stuff like that, but I haven't found anything that works for us. What can I do? Please help. I am at wit's end.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 14, 2019, 07:47 AM
    How old are you and have you talked to HIS parents about this behavior? I think there may be things you don't know or coulld benefit from. How long have you been baby sitting and how long have they lived with you?

Nov 14, 2019, 10:34 AM
    I am 23, and his mother knows about his behavior. They live with us. He acts the same way for everyone. I have been babysitting him just about his whole life. But for some reason, he is acting so much worse lately.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2019, 12:26 PM
    How do they handle it when they are there and he cuts up?

Nov 14, 2019, 01:26 PM
    They deal with him the same way I do, talk to him about what he does wrong, and sometimes put him in the corner, or just make him sit down. But it still doesn't work.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2019, 02:59 PM
    If he doesn't grow out of it then he is at an age for testing and evaluating. I realize your patience is being tested, but that's my suggestion, for now just keep being patient. Baby sitting 3 kids and one is a toddler leaves less time for the 4 year old, who obviously needs extra attention, and obviously gets less than he WANTS. It's not that uncommon, but frustrating none the less.

Nov 14, 2019, 03:11 PM
    It is so hard to be patient when his behavior is just getting worse. But I will try. Thank you.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2019, 03:27 PM
    3 kids are a handful for anyone when they are sweet angels but that 4 year old may be going through preschool transition that for some brings out the worse. I would for now pay extra one on one attention to him for a while and then see what happens. Is that possible?

Nov 14, 2019, 03:30 PM
    He isn't in preschool yet because he just turned 4. And yeah.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search