Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2019, 11:42 AM
    None of us could afford lights if our government didn't subsidize these companies any way.
    Is that the same gov that is about 22 tril in debt and still spending money like it grows on trees?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 11:46 AM
    Yes it is.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2019, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I kind of questioned that one myself. I assume he is talking about harnessing the energy of waves and tides, but I don't know of anywhere that is happening, and I would think it is going to be really difficult and expensive. Other than nuclear, I don't see anything on the horizon that can take the place of fossil fuels.
    No I'm talking about hydrolysis, by the way there are such projects as you speak of in Australia
    Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 02:46 PM
    Are we confusing water based energy systems with the breaking down of organic matter?
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2019, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Are we confusing water based energy systems with the breaking down of organic matter?
    There is a lot of confusion here Tal, no less than in the general community regarding such matters, Hydrolysis breaks down water into its constituent elements and the fuel produces water as a result of combustion thus it is clean and will be the basis of a hydrogen fuel system once we get the fossil fuel multinationals out of the way. Water is an unlimited resource
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2019, 06:50 PM
    Back to the OP

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...-blog/11773726

Where I live the state is burning; the firefronts encompass thousands of kilometres, fortunately casualities are low but they do happen, thousands of buildings have been lost, not to mention destruction of wildlife, animals, forest and lives. It does not stop and it will not stop whileever the drought persists. There are many who want to have a debate on climate change, when they should be on the fire line fighting the fires or raising money for the victims. No amount of debate and finger pointing will make any difference
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2019, 08:37 PM
    No I'm talking about hydrolysis, by the way there are such projects as you speak of in Australia.
    Hydrolysis? I think you mean Electrolysis. As I understand it, an electric current is passed through water releasing hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen can be burned as a fuel and the product of combustion is simply water. The problem is that the current has to be produced somewhere. Again, as I understand it, the thinking is that solar and wind could produce the electrical power. Cloudy days, nights and windless days are no problem since the production does not have to be constant. That might turn out to be do-able but it's a long ways off. The capital expense would be absolutely enormous. All of the current storage and distribution networks would become obsolete and have to be replaced. Every power generating station would have to be completely retooled. I would imagine you are talking about multiple trillions of dollars. And then there is the question of the expense of this new fuel.
    Expert

Dec 6, 2019, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    There is a lot of confusion here Tal, no less than in the general community regarding such matters, Hydrolysis breaks down water into its constituent elements and the fuel produces water as a result of combustion thus it is clean and will be the basis of a hydrogen fuel system once we get the fossil fuel multinationals out of the way. Water is an unlimited resource
    Please provide a link for clarity Clete as all I find was a process to break down sludge in Australia.

Back to the OP

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...-blog/11773726

Where I live the state is burning; the firefronts encompass thousands of kilometres, fortunately casualities are low but they do happen, thousands of buildings have been lost, not to mention destruction of wildlife, animals, forest and lives. It does not stop and it will not stop whileever the drought persists. There are many who want to have a debate on climate change, when they should be on the fire line fighting the fires or raising money for the victims. No amount of debate and finger pointing will make any difference
    I would imagine that those that can't help with the fires can still debate. That's how it usually works in most places.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2019, 04:59 AM
    Please provide a link for clarity Clete as all I find was a process to break down sludge in Australia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power_in_Australia

We have also developed a process to turn plastic back into oil

I would imagine that those that can't help with the fires can still debate. That's how it usually works in most places.
    Debate is useless, no amount of talk can change the facts
    Expert

Dec 6, 2019, 05:14 AM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power_in_Australia

We have also developed a process to turn plastic back into oil
    Thanks Clete, we also have a number of WAVE energy projects going on.

Debate is useless, no amount of talk can change the facts
    You have to keep debating the FACTS to find a solution don't you?
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2019, 06:05 PM
    More stupidity today as journalists around the world and particularly the slimes say that Australia is to blame for the bush fires and poor air quality, absolutely no understanding that this is a weather event caused by the Collision of three weather systems which have produced hot dry conditions and strong winds resulting in drought and fires. I hate this leftist agenda which fawns after global scientists and forgets that the CO2 problem, if it is a problem, originated in the northern hemisphere, yes, those same critics are responsible for our problems
    Expert

Dec 7, 2019, 02:35 AM
    Come on now Clete, it's a waste of time to blame Mother Nature for doing what MN does. You had to see this coming and may as well admit you did nothing about it, or were very effective making the adjustments to deal with it. The good news is you are hardly alone being helpless and powerless. Join the rest of us stupid humans being swept away burned and suffocated by our own inability to figure it out.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2019, 05:45 AM
    Come on now Clete, it's a waste of time to blame Mother Nature for doing what MN does. You had to see this coming and may as well admit you did nothing about it, or were very effective making the adjustments to deal with it. The good news is you are hardly alone being helpless and powerless. Join the rest of us stupid humans being swept away burned and suffocated by our own inability to figure it out.
    Tal go peddle your leftist B/S somewhere else. there is nothing we could have done to prevent this. I have been saying for a long time climate change has been happening for thousands of years. Even NASA will tell you that our orbit and the sun are responsible, but even if they shouted it you would not listen, no that information is suppressed and I wonder by who.

For the benefit of the ill informed there are three weather systems that control the circumstances here;

El Nino, the Indian Ocean Dipole and the Southern Oscillation and all three are in a phase which limits rain, brings high temperatures and strong winds, this will persist for some months to come and no amount of renewables and wishful thinking will do anything about it. Prayer might
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2019, 05:58 AM
    I would agree that increasing the CO2 content of the atmosphere is not a good idea, but how much that has effected climate is still a debate in progress. Getting off of fossil fuels is going to be a challenge. The dem party's ridiculous "Green New Deal" is a laugher, but so is doing nothing. I have a feeling that the productive power of free enterprise will solve it if we can keep the government out of the way long enough.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2019, 06:07 AM
    Even NASA will tell you that our orbit and the sun are responsible,
    Nonsense. Source: far right fringe website. NASA has said no such thing.
    Expert

Dec 7, 2019, 06:14 AM
    Tal go peddle your leftist B/S somewhere else. there is nothing we could have done to prevent this. I have been saying for a long time climate change has been happening for thousands of years. Even NASA will tell you that our orbit and the sun are responsible, but even if they shouted it you would not listen, no that information is suppressed and I wonder by who.

For the benefit of the ill informed there are three weather systems that control the circumstances here;

El Nino, the Indian Ocean Dipole and the Southern Oscillation and all three are in a phase which limits rain, brings high temperatures and strong winds, this will persist for some months to come and no amount of renewables and wishful thinking will do anything about it. Prayer might
    Praying for more firefighters and equipment?
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2019, 01:34 PM
    Praying for rain and in particular for the southern oscillation to retreat, on the equipment front we lost a helicopter yesterday which grounded all firefighting aircraft for safety checks. No amount of men and equipment can face the intensity of what is happening here
    Expert

Dec 7, 2019, 04:02 PM
    Well it's your country so if you just want to let it burn I guess you have that right. Just saying it's an unfortunate and dangerous situation and plenty challenging but you may as well get your backs into it and do the best you can. Pray for strength and keep shoveling and load up on more eqiopment.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2019, 04:42 PM
    Well it's your country so if you just want to let it burn I guess you have that right. Just saying it's an unfortunate and dangerous situation and plenty challenging but you may as well get your backs into it and do the best you can. Pray for strength and keep shoveling and load up on more equipment.
    You can't be serious, but even if we had no emissions it wouldn't change anything because the problem is in the Northern Hemisphere, that is if you are a true believer, anyway visibility down to 300 metres this morning and the smell of smoke in the air and we are at least 100 km from the main fires, Saw an interesting study that demonstrates we are in the trough of a long term cycle of cold temperatures due to solar oscillation so keep the fires burning, you need them
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2019, 05:36 PM
    Stopping whatever is going on with weather system and weather cycles is a fool's folly. The earth will warm and cool as it so chooses or as system effects drive it, regardless of what WE do....WE have little to no impact but our arrogance makes us thing that we can make a difference.....that gives us "comfort" that we are DOING SOMETHING POSITIVE: its all a play on our frailties and emotions..the "FEEL GOOD" effect...but the one's who FEEL the best are that bastard that almost became POTUS and his ilk: THEY FEEL GOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE BILLIONAIRES BASED OFF PSUEDO SCIENCE!

US/WE/MANKIND effecting weather or whether the earth warms or cools is akin to A PISS ANT PISSING ON A FOREST FIRE!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Climate change?? [ 35 Answers ]

Hello: Look, I'm a climate change denier too, but this is some crazy weather we're having, huh? So, even though global warming is a hoax, if my home had been destroyed by Sandy, I wouldn't temp fate again. I'd move or rebuild it on stilts. You? 98% of the worlds scientists AGREE that...

Climate Change [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it there? How has it changed? What are the different perspectives? What has been done?

Climate Change? [ 195 Answers ]

Hello: I seem to recall that when it was cold, the climate change deniers said, LOOK at that. It's cold. Global warming MUST be a hoax... Ok, LOOK at that. Massive flooding in the mid west, massive drought in the south west, unending tornadoes, and a humongous snow pack. If we have a hot...

EU Agrees Climate Change [ 95 Answers ]

Hello Today ahead of a meeting in Copenhagen it was agreed that the EU will fund the improvement of the newer states to help them bring into line their emissons News Sniffer - Revisionista 'EU strikes climate funding deal' diff viewer (2/3) The essence is the EU will offer some 100bn...

View more questions Search