Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayj43 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2005, 01:58 PM
    Temporary Basement Toilet
    I have a new home with a totally unfinished basement.
    The plumbing (drains & vents) were roughed in by the builder.
    I want to install a toilet for temporary use while doing framing, etc
    Down there. At a later date I will probably install ceramic tile on that
    Bathroom floor. Presently, there is a capped 4 inch pvc with the wrap around it sticking up out of the concrete floor. I've read enough posts to know that I need to cut the pvc & install a flange bolted to the floor w/tapcons. My question is, should I obtain some scrap pieces of tile to be placed underneath the flange and/or toilet so that all is at the correct height
    For later?? Any help or advice is gladly welcomed!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2005, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayj43
    I have a new home with a totally unfinished basement.
    The plumbing (drains & vents) were roughed in by the builder.
    I want to install a toilet for temporary use while doing framing, etc
    down there. At a later date I will probably install ceramic tile on that
    bathroom floor. Presently, there is a capped 4 inch pvc with the wrap around it sticking up out of the concrete floor. I've read enough posts to know that I need to cut the pvc & install a flange bolted to the floor w/tapcons. My question is, should I obtain some scrap pieces of tile to be placed underneath the flange and/or toilet so that all is at the correct height
    for later??? Any help or advice is gladly welcomed!

If you install the flange off the floor you will need to shim the bowl. I would mount the flange on the floor and after I tiled I would reinstall the bowl using a wax seal with a funnel for added protection. Less hassle all the way around. Regards, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2005, 09:20 PM
    What Speedball said. When and if you tile take the toilet back off and tile up to the flange. Then put the toilet back on. If you have raised the floor substantialy use a large wax ring on the toilet with funnel and/or a spacer designed for this situation like in the link below.

http://www.plumbest.com/searchengine...atalog/e96.htm

Lowe's has most of these in stock.

Tom

Mar 22, 2005, 01:15 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice & expertise! One more question. What is the easiest way to cut off the 4" PVC at the correct length to install the inside mount flange? Do I need to worry about how straight the cut is?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2005, 06:08 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice & expertise! One more question. What is the easiest way to cut off the 4" PVC at the correct length to install the inside mount flange? Do I need to worry about how straight the cut is?
    We use a Saws -All (reciprocating saw), cut level with the floor. Do not leave any peeking out. This will raise the flange up from the floor level and cause your toilet to rock and need shimming. Good luck, Tom

Mar 27, 2005, 10:20 PM
    Copper Question
    I need to add a 1/2" copper "T" fitting in the middle of a 8ft or so straight
    run. There isn't any wiggle room at either end of this section of pipe because it already has other "T" fitting going to faucets, etc. How can I add my new "T" and get it go back together without un-soldering several other joints?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 28, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Copper Question
    I need to add a 1/2" copper "T" fitting in the middle of a 8ft or so straight
    run. There isn't any wiggle room at either end of this section of pipe because it already has other "T" fitting going to faucets, etc. How can I add my new "T" and get it go back together without un-soldering several other joints?
    No problem if you have a little spring in the pipes. Simply purchase a 1/2" compression tee. Make your cuts with a set of copper cutters, (or mini-cutters it it's a tight place), mark the copper at the place in the tee where they will seat and not at the ends of the tee. Install ferrules and compression nuts on the pipe ends. Now slip one end of the tee on the pipe and spring the other end out far enough so you can fit the other end of the tee in place. Tighten the compression nuts and you're in business. Good luck, Tom

Mar 29, 2005, 01:56 PM
    Thanks again for the excellent free advice to use a "compression T"
    Where I have very limited pipe movement to add an in-line T fitting.
    In looking at copper plumbing parts I see there is a "no stop coupling".
    I realize I'd have to sweat 4 joints versus 2, but would that work OK in this same scenario where I have very limited pipe movement to insert or add my "T"?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2005, 05:11 PM
    Thanks again for the excellent free advice to use a "compression T"
    where I have very limited pipe movement to add an in-line T fitting.
    In looking at copper plumbing parts I see there is a "no stop coupling".
    I realize I'd have to sweat 4 joints versus 2, but would that work ok in this same scenario where I have very limited pipe movement to insert or add my "T" ??
    Yes! That would work. They call them "slip couplings". I was under the impression you didn't want to have to evacuate the water and solder the joint when I suggested the compression fitting. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing A Toilet In Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a flange that attaches to the sewer pipe that is flush with the ground?? Have only found flange that is 3/4 of an inch too high.. thinking i need to recess it.

Toilet in basement -already has rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Hi we are installing a toilet in the basement of our new home. There is already a 4 inch stub that was left by the contractors. I have a couple of questions. 1.What kind of flange do we need for it to be flush with the concrete? Should we just buy a 3" flange and glue it into the four inch...

Basement Toilet Flush [ 4 Answers ]

Last year we remodeled the basement and added a bathroom. The toilet drain runs only about 3 feet and empties into an ejector pit with pump, shared by the sink and shower. It seems to work well. However, many times the toilet needs to be flushed 3 times to clear it. Plunging doesn’t really...

Toilet Spews into basement [ 4 Answers ]

Me and the wife are renovating a 1950's home bathroom (first floor). Every time we flushed the toilet the floor around the toilet got wet. When we go down to the basement we see raw sewage spilling from the bathroom. A plumber came through and snaked the toilet out to the street. No fix. ...

Moving a toilet in the Basement [ 4 Answers ]

I want to move my basement toilet to another location as part of a bathroom remodeling project. I have a cement floor. The toilet sits on top of a 2.5 inch build up of cement... kind of like a platform of some sort. The vent pipe appears to go into the cement and I assume connects to the toilet...

View more questions Search