Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 12:49 PM
    I could have sworn the House invited him to the proceedings and he declined. "In addition, the Democratic chairman also sent Trump a letter notifying him of his right to attend the hearing, as well as his counsel’s right to question the witnesses.".

In addition more facts! Looks like WG nailed it as usual as it was reported last year.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2020, 01:21 PM
    In the US Constitution.
    No, it doesn't. The text reads, "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment." Nowhere in there does it say the pres cannot have council and cannot call witnesses. You are flat wrong.

This isn't the time, during the investigatory phase, where lawyers and witnesses are needed to defend when the evidence is brought forward by the House. That happens during the trial, which the Senate oversees.
    Complete nonsense and nowhere backed up by the Constitution.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 01:42 PM
    From https://reason.com/2019/10/09/what-d...t-proceedings/

"I've seen a lot of learned commentators on both sides of the impeachment debate arguing that the House *must* follow certain procedures (or not), or that the president *must* cooperate in the following ways (or not). What almost no one ever does is quote the relevant constitutional text, which is ridiculously sparse: "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment." There is nothing about what procedures the House must or may use, nor is there any indication to what extent the president and other executive branch officials are required to cooperate."

"Some issues: (1) It's not clear that the impeachment process is an ordinary "proceeding." After all, a Senate trial is presided over by the Chief Justice, so know there are outside limits over the trial via the Chief; (2) The Supreme Court found that the authority granted in this language is not absolute when it prohibited the House from expelling Rep. Adam Clayton Powell; (3) Even if the House can make its own rules, one can argue that when it's acting as a quasi-judicial body, it has an obligation to follow its own procedural precedents, just as actual judicial bodies do (even if that obligation is not justiciable in the courts); (4) This begs the question as to whether the House has in fact established any rules for the current proceedings, given that there has been no formal vote to start impeachment proceedings; and (5) Regardless, it still doesn't tell us under what circumstances it's legitimate for the executive branch to resist cooperation with impeachment proceedings."
    Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 01:52 PM
    Each chamber is allowed to make their own process and procedures of how they go about their business.

The 1974 report has been expanded and revised on several occasions by the Congressional Research Service, and the current version Impeachment and Removal dates from October 2015.
    [1]
    While this document is only staff recommendation, as a practical matter, today it is probably the single most influential definition of "high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Read the whole thing and it's pretty clear the rules were followed exceptionally well as while repubs cried beetched and moaned they couldn't stop the process on legal grounds.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2020, 01:54 PM
    You claimed the Constitution said the pres could not have counsel and could not call witnesses. What you claimed is incorrect. What you posted above changes nothing.

There is nothing about what procedures the House must or may use, nor is there any indication to what extent the president and other executive branch officials are required to cooperate."
    How on earth does that help your case?
    Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 01:56 PM
    Geez JL, it's a done deal so what's the argument about? Stubborn in your old age aren't you?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2020, 02:01 PM
    You said it was a "fair trial" which was untrue. WG wanted to claim the Constitution prohibited the pres having counsel or being able to call witnesses. It does nothing of the sort. The truth ought to count for something. A simple, "Well gosh. Maybe I was wrong," would have settled the issue.

Yeah. I am stubborn in my old age. Kind of reminds me of a man I know in Texas and a woman I know in Chicago!
    Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 02:09 PM
    WWWHHAAATTTT!!!!! There are more like you? AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2020, 02:15 PM
    WWWHHAAATTTT!!!!! There are more like you? AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kind of alarming, ain't it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You said it was a "fair trial" which was untrue. WG wanted to claim the Constitution prohibited the pres having counsel or being able to call witnesses. It does nothing of the sort. The truth ought to count for something. A simple, "Well gosh. Maybe I was wrong," would have settled the issue.
    No, I am right. The House does not present the trial, which JL is hung up on. The House only presents the evidence; later the Senate has the trial. Trump's evidence and witnesses can be revealed for the House but don't take action to present his side until the trial in the Senate.

Sheesh!!!!
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2020, 03:28 PM
    No, you are not right. Your contention was that the Constitution prevented the pres from having counsel or presenting witnesses. That is simply not true.

This was your statement. "Apparently, you don't understand what the House was supposed to do (they did it correctly) and what the Senate is supposed to do. Trump having counsel and witnesses is NOT part of the process in the House but IS in the Senate. There isn't a trial in the House; that's what happens in the Senate." I asked you where it said that and your reply was in the Constitution. It does nothing of the sort. Even the material you posted disagreed with your statement. " There is nothing about what procedures the House must or may use, nor is there any indication to what extent the president and other executive branch officials are required to cooperate." To top it all off, even what Tal posted did not support your statement. "Each chamber is allowed to make their own process and procedures of how they go about their business." There was no reason the President could not have had counsel present and called witnesses. No reason at all.

There has never been a disagreement between us on the general role of the House or of the Senate.

Sheeesh!!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2020, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    No, you are not right. Your contention was that the Constitution prevented the pres from having counsel or presenting witnesses. That is simply not true.

This was your statement. "Apparently, you don't understand what the House was supposed to do (they did it correctly) and what the Senate is supposed to do. Trump having counsel and witnesses is NOT part of the process in the House but IS in the Senate. There isn't a trial in the House; that's what happens in the Senate." I asked you where it said that and your reply was in the Constitution. It does nothing of the sort. Even the material you posted disagreed with your statement. " There is nothing about what procedures the House must or may use, nor is there any indication to what extent the president and other executive branch officials are required to cooperate." To top it all off, even what Tal posted did not support your statement. "Each chamber is allowed to make their own process and procedures of how they go about their business." There was no reason the President could not have had counsel present and called witnesses. No reason at all.

There has never been a disagreement between us on the general role of the House or of the Senate.

Sheeesh!!
    So why didn't trump take advantage of that?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2020, 07:23 PM
    What I mean, of course, is that there is no Constitutional reason. In this case Trump could not do those things because the House dems, who get to set the rules, did not allow it. So you see? That's why I say it was not a fair hearing. Constitutionally they could have allowed it, but they elected not to. Hopefully we have arrived at some sort of understanding we can agree with
    Expert

Jan 12, 2020, 04:30 AM
    You aren't the only one who doesn't know the ins and outs of your own government, and the rules they make to conduct business after an election. Now the dufus has been cruising along just fine when repubs had the House, but since that has changed, so did his influence and you can thank the American people for that. Wonder why America booted repubs out of power in the House in 2018? Didn't they know the dems would go after the dufus? Of course they did, since even you acknowledge, and he did too, that would be the case.

So let's not get so hung up on calling foul now, and what's fair or not, or who get's to make the rules of the road.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2020, 03:42 PM
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2020, 04:11 PM
    So let's not get so hung up on calling foul now, and what's fair or not, or who get's to make the rules of the road.
    But that's exactly what you endlessly do, day in and day out, about Trump. Why don't you play by your own rules?
    Expert

Jan 14, 2020, 04:50 PM
    What choice do I have with the dufus lying, cheating, and pushing the boundaries of good behavior day in and day out for the last 3 years? The Russians are hacking into the servers of Burisma looking for dirt on Biden and son to help the dufus get re elected again just like Mueller said they would as he gets impeached for trying to get a foreign government to announce an investigation into the Biden's.

I guess Russia is still listening.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2020, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    What choice do I have with the dufus lying, cheating, and pushing the boundaries of good behavior day in and day out for the last 3 years? The Russians are hacking into the servers of Burisma looking for dirt on Biden and son to help the dufus get re elected again just like Mueller said they would as he gets impeached for trying to get a foreign government to announce an investigation into the Biden's.

I guess Russia is still listening.
    Yes Russia doesn't want Biden any more than they wanted HC. Both tarred with the same brush which is anti Russian. Russia isn't your problem, China is. you want to attack Trump, attack him on that front
    Expert

Jan 14, 2020, 05:22 PM
    Fortunately Clete it's not up to you or Russsia what our government looks like, at least until the dufus showed up and invited Vlad and anybody else in the world into our elections.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2020, 06:06 PM
    But you very plainly said, "So let's not get so hung up on calling foul now, and what's fair or not, or who get's to make the rules of the road." So why are so carefree about lying, cheating, and "pushing the boundaries of good behavior" ONLY when the dems do it? Why don't you follow your own rule?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Impeachment [ 174 Answers ]

As Trump continues to dismantle NATO which is critical to the peace of the world and has been for 70 years, and as Trump continues to cater to the Putin enemy who is determined to bring down the United States and its allies, it is time to talk seriously about impeachment. No longer should decent...

It's time to drawup articles of impeachment [ 45 Answers ]

Barack and his minions are way out there in the left-lands of marxism and fascism. They have declared war on individualism, the right to contract, the right to own property, and now the right to free speech: "The White House is calling on other news organizations to isolate and alienate Fox News...

President Clinton's impeachment [ 2 Answers ]

When President Clinton was impeached, why wasn't he removed from office? Now I understand that the Illinois governor is going to be removed from office if he is impeached. What's the deal?

Online poll: "Do you believe President Bush's actions justify impeachment?" [ 12 Answers ]

Live Vote: Should Bush be impeached? - Politics - MSNBC.com The currrent results may surprise you.

View more questions Search