Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2019, 01:55 PM
    Which mortar should I use?
    I have a slate tile floor inside the front entrance to my house. Some mortar against the doorstep and sidelight has crumbled and is easily removed, but it's such a small amount that I'm hoping I can use one of the products I have on hand to replace it. The area missing the grout is 1/4" w x 1/4" deep (the depth of the slate tiles) x 8' long. I have some basic Quikrete Mortar Mix and also some Special Mix Poly Modified Stone Veneer Mortar. I have some sifted sandbox sand and some sandblaster sand. The subfloor is plywood. The existing mortar is light grey, but it is probably too much to expect new mortar to match and I can live with that. Even though this is at the front door, the entrance is rarely used. Any suggestions about the best way to do this repair would be greatly appreciated.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the right mortar mix? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the correct mortar mix to use for a pre-slope portion of a custom tile shower floor?

Mortar mix [ 1 Answers ]

How much sand and how much cement for mortar mix for brick work?

Mortar Mix [ 2 Answers ]

I am Installing a Stacked Stone Wall Inside my Home (Living Room Wall),The stone is a Cultured Stone Product from Owens Corning. It calls for Type N Mortar to be used. I don't want to have to mix all of this by hand, I Live in a Town Home, Can I use a different type of Mortar Mix or is there a...

Mortar vs caulk [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed some thin brick in my basement. This is 1/2" thick brick veneer that is glued up on a metal panel. The manufacturer recommends that you use Type S mortar with application via a "bakers' bag". I've tried this and find it very cumbersome and to be honest my forearms are simply...

Mortar bed for a plastic tub? [ 0 Answers ]

What is the SOP for putting a simple mortar bed under a plastic tub? This unit does not require one ( a Sterling Ensemble 32") but someone recommended that for a firmer underfoot feel I should "throw down a sheet of plastic, mix up a bag of mortar and just set the tub on it". Does this sound...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.