Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 11:52 AM
    WHOA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A!!!! Let me get this straight. In plain language --- you do NOT believe that unbeleivers go to hell for eternal punishment. Is that correct? Why did it take you so many months to finally say that? If, in fact, that is your position now, I congratulate you.
    You are getting confused. Saying unbelievers go to hell is not the same thing as saying that is WHY they go to hell. They do not go because of unbelief. They go because of breaking the laws of God. If you would take the time to read carefully, you would see that I stated that very thing above.

"People perish because they have broken God's laws and are guilty before Him..It is by faith in the finished work of Christ that we are rescued from judgement and given free access to God. People are condemned for sin, but saved by faith.

No, whether people break God's laws or they don't, ALL people perish, even saints and holy people.
    That seems to be a very strange statement. Wouldn't even a casual reading of John 3:16 show you that? Perhaps you thought I meant "perish" as in "die"? I meant it to be used as it is in the John passage.

That is your religious belief, it is not the belief of many millions of other people."
    It is the teaching of the Bible. I blundered across this in 2 Thessalonians this morning. "when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with [f]His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes to be glorified [g]in His [h]saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed."

That does not change the FACT that the earliest manuscript is from the 3rd century, time enough to edit/embellish the Gospel to be in tune with the understanding of Christ at that time.
    You changed the subject. I replied to this statement. "Jl's reply was a little misleading. He may not be aware of some facts about the Gospel of Matthew. The work is attributed to Matthew but there's no evidence he actually wrote it." That statement is not even close to being accurate.

As to the date of Matthew, the third century only applies if you are looking for complete manuscripts. Papayrus P104 is a small fragment of Matthew dated to the second century. And if you are going to apply your standard of reliability to all of ancient writings, then you can't depend on any of it. The textual evidence for the NT is fantastically greater than that of other ancient texts. Nothing else even comes close. The textual evidence for the accurate copying of the NT is also tremendous.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 12:03 PM
    Wondergirl, if you don't want to answer questions, then don't you think you shouldn't ask them? That's really a strange approach.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Wondergirl, if you don't want to answer questions, then don't you think you shouldn't ask them? That's really a strange approach.
    I HAVE answered!
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 12:22 PM
    This is what you call an answer???

Why do you continue to hit me with this and wonder what I believe? I'm a preacher's kid, for years a Lutheran grade school teacher, a Sunday school teacher, and an adult Bible class teacher, a psychotherapist who is always ready to bring into the discussion Jesus' two greatest commandments.
    The question was what you believed about what Jesus said in Matthew 25. You have not answered.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 01:35 PM
    This is what you call an answer???

The question was what you believed about what Jesus said in Matthew 25. You have not answered.
    I figured you'd connect the dots.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 01:41 PM
    I did. No answer. But you can just come out and explicitly answer it whenever you are ready. For that matter, even hinting at an answer would be a step forward.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2019, 01:45 PM
    I did. No answer.
    wonderful now we can move on from switch and bait
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 01:50 PM
    I did. No answer. But you can just come out and explicitly answer it whenever you are ready. For that matter, even hinting at an answer would be a step forward.
    I DID answer it!!!!!! I'm guessing you want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's are crossed so I don't end up in that hellfire forever.

Btw, where's trump going to end up?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 02:26 PM
    I DID answer it!!!!!! I'm guessing you want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's are crossed so I don't end up in that hellfire forever.

Btw, where's trump going to end up?
    Wow. I don't know what else to say but "wow". Incredible that you actually seem to believe that the reply below really contains an answer to the question of what you thought about the words of Christ in the Matthew 25 passage.

Why do you continue to hit me with this and wonder what I believe? I'm a preacher's kid, for years a Lutheran grade school teacher, a Sunday school teacher, and an adult Bible class teacher, a psychotherapist who is always ready to bring into the discussion Jesus' two greatest commandments.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 02:51 PM
    You're asking me, so here's my answer. It's all about gods, but only one can be about God. Choose wisely. The essentials of the Christian faith are so wildly different from other religions that they cannot be reconciled.
    I suspect there are fundies like you who don't want it reconciled. Of course I think it the case on all sides even though the majority have lived in peace and prosperity for centuries like good humans should despite their differences. I think that's what a loving God that I understand requires most and not the predilection for some humans to castigate the others over contrived BS! This is the essence of respect and dignity in my view and a foundation for peace between the tribes, so while I reject your premise for non reconciliation as to wild a difference, I must point out the commonality that binds us...our shared humanity.

Even the Catholics and Protestants have ceased hostilities so what was up with that bloody conflict amongst Christians? Hopefully in time you will evolve to that level of human enlightenment. Embrace the love and reject the hate as your God has clearly directed you. I fail to see what's so hard about that.

I echo WG's question of is the dufus going to hell for his sins or will we get justice for his crimes?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 03:53 PM
    Even the Catholics and Protestants have ceased hostilities so what was up with that bloody conflict amongst Christians? Hopefully in time you will evolve to that level of human enlightenment. Embrace the love and reject the hate as your God has clearly directed you. I fail to see what's so hard about that.
    You are confusing two different issues.

I echo WG's question of is the dufus going to hell for his sins or will we get justice for his crimes?
    It always amuses me how so many people are convinced it's the other guy who should be judged.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 04:17 PM
    Wow. I don't know what else to say but "wow". Incredible that you actually seem to believe that the reply below really contains an answer to the question of what you thought about the words of Christ in the Matthew 25 passage.
    Who made you interpreter, chief inquisitor, judge, and jury? Doesn't that same Bible also say something about this sort of thing?

P.S. This isn't how to be a fisher of men (and women).
    Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 06:06 PM
    You are confusing two different issues.
    HOW?

It always amuses me how so many people are convinced it's the other guy who should be judged.
    Glad you're amused and so am I at you ducking and dodging not rocks, but questions. This whole thread was hijacked by your scripture quoting about who gets judged and how and now you seek to turn it around to us being the judge.

Drop the crap Slick, and answer the question why don't you? Where do YOU think the dufus is going, heaven or you know that other place with the fire for criminals, liars, cheats, adulterers, and unbelieving heathens.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 06:19 PM
    HOW?
    You are confusing the exclusivity of the Christian faith with being hateful. They are not the same.

Glad you're amused and so am I at you ducking and dodging not rocks, but questions. This whole thread was hijacked by your scripture quoting about who gets judged and how and now you seek to turn it around to us being the judge.

Drop the crap Slick, and answer the question why don't you? Where do YOU think the dufus is going, heaven or you know that other place with the fire for criminals, liars, cheats, adulterers, and unbelieving heathens.
    Why is he guilty before God but you are not? The two of you are in exactly in the same boat.
    Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 07:13 PM
    You are confusing the exclusivity of the Christian faith with being hateful. They are not the same.

Why is he guilty before God but you are not? The two of you are in exactly in the same boat.
    I can go with ALL humans in the same boat and overlook the reluctance to answer according to your scripture therefore effectively dodging the question, but that confusing the exclusivity of the Christian faith with being hateful is a bunch of malarkey. If you don't know say so, if you cannot explain, or express say so, but don't insult me with double talk!

PS

You are in the boat with us right?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 07:15 PM
    The Christian faith is exclusive? If one isn't Christian (hmmm, wonder what kind and how much), one is headed for everlasting hellfire?
    We're talking about Trump, and no one else. His daily misbehavior is suspect.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2019, 07:37 PM
    I can go with ALL humans in the same boat and overlook the reluctance to answer according to your scripture therefore effectively dodging the question, but that confusing the exclusivity of the Christian faith with being hateful is a bunch of malarkey. If you don't know say so, if you cannot explain, or express say so, but don't insult me with double talk!
    There is no insult intended. We are all guilty before God which makes the question about Trump silly. Only in Christ is there forgiveness. That's what makes the Christian faith exclusive. Jesus said that no one comes to the Father but through Him. That's as exclusive as you can get. Either that, or Jesus was completely mistaken.

So tell me, Tal. Are you guilty? If Trump is to face judgement, then aren't you as well? That's not asked in a finger pointing way. Just an exercise in thinking.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2019, 09:06 PM
    You are getting confused. Saying unbelievers go to hell is not the same thing as saying that is WHY they go to hell. They do not go because of unbelief. They go because of breaking the laws of God. If you would take the time to read carefully, you would see that I stated that very thing above.
    I'm not a bit confused. For months you have been supporting "unbelievers go to hell for eternal punishment". Then in your last post, you walked it back a bit by the sophistry of introducing "WHY' into the equation. Then you changed it all by now saying "They go because of breaking the laws of God". You charge me with not being to read carefully. Yet you NEVER said that before. Your ethics, or lack thereof, get worse and worse.

To the new charge: read my lips, unbelief is NOT breaking the laws of God. Is God just waiting up there to swoop that old Chinese lady working the rice paddy to die so he can immediately cast her into the fires of your hell? Good grief, man, use your head. God gave you a brain for discernment. Start discerning.

People perish because they have broken God's laws and are guilty before Him.
    No they don't. People perish because of sickness, old age, accident and a myriad other ways. Didn't we already do this?

Perhaps you thought I meant "perish" as in "die"?
    Yes, that is the accepted, normal, common meaning of the word in English. If it means eternal punishment in hell, I'm sure the proper words would have been used.

I blundered across this in 2 Thessalonians this morning. "when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with [f]His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes to be glorified [g]in His [h]saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed."
    Wow, this threat is a beauty. "Eternal destruction" - you sure get riled up when you get tied up in discussion. What would you guys do without threats? Probably gain a few more converts. But it's not really about converts, is it?

gospel according to Matthew but there's no evidence he actually wrote it." That statement is not even close to being accurate.
    It's perfectly accurate. Check with your Bible scholar pals.

As to the date of Matthew, the third century only applies if you are looking for complete manuscripts. Papayrus P104 is a small fragment of Matthew dated to the second century.
    That's precisely, almost word for word, what I said!

And if you are going to apply your standard of reliability to all of ancient writings
    No, just to Matthew.

then you can't depend on any of it. The textual evidence for the NT is fantastically greater than that of other ancient texts. Nothing else even comes close. The textual evidence for the accurate copying of the NT is also tremendous.
    I've heard this argument before. It's irrelevant - other ancient writings have nothing to do with the NT - and it usually emerges as a last attempt to salvage an argument re Biblical accuracy.

My disagreement is with JL's erstwhile belief that unbelievers go to hell for eternal punishment. If he wishes to change "unbelievers" to breakers of God's law, I think he has a perfect right to do that and I would not dispute his belief.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2019, 03:34 AM
    There is no insult intended. We are all guilty before God which makes the question about Trump silly. Only in Christ is there forgiveness. That's what makes the Christian faith exclusive. Jesus said that no one comes to the Father but through Him. That's as exclusive as you can get. Either that, or Jesus was completely mistaken.

So tell me, Tal. Are you guilty? If Trump is to face judgement, then aren't you as well? That's not asked in a finger pointing way. Just an exercise in thinking.
    I will let God handle his business the way he sees fit, I have no control over that, and I suggest you do the same. I'm comfortable letting MAN'S law deal with the dufus. It's amusing watching his sycophants twist themselves in knots defending him, as more is revealed daily, and tomorrow starts the public hearings for those that haven't been keeping up.

I don't question God, just the humans. They are flawed and can screw up anything and that's what I am guilty of, being a flawed human.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2019, 06:00 AM
    That's precisely, almost word for word, what I said!
    Nope. You never mentioned the second century document. Not true.

It's perfectly accurate. Check with your Bible scholar pals.
    I'll let you argue that one with Irenaeus. Is he enough of a scholar for you???

And if you are going to apply your standard of reliability to all of ancient writings
    No, just to Matthew.
    Intellectual lunacy.

then you can't depend on any of it. The textual evidence for the NT is fantastically greater than that of other ancient texts. Nothing else even comes close. The textual evidence for the accurate copying of the NT is also tremendous.
    I've heard this argument before. It's irrelevant - other ancient writings have nothing to do with the NT - and it usually emerges as a last attempt to salvage an argument re Biblical accuracy.
    It's irrelevant only to you. People who actually know what they are talking about value that argument highly and see the consistency in it. A person would have to be absolutely blind to question the NT over a 100 year gap and accept Plato despite a 1300 year gap. It would be sheer stupidity.

My disagreement is with JL's erstwhile belief that unbelievers go to hell for eternal punishment. If he wishes to change "unbelievers" to breakers of God's law, I think he has a perfect right to do that and I would not dispute his belief.
    It's all very simple. You are basically putting words in my mouth and then trying to hold me responsible for what you said. It's a paper thin strategy that an eighth grader can see through. Again, I have never said that unbelief sends people to hell. And the quote I gave that you went apoplectic about is from the Bible, so your argument is with the Bible, not with me. That has been the case for months. Now you have elected to reject the Bible. That's your choice. If the Bible is accurate, then you will someday live to bitterly regret that decision.

Just give it up, Athos. You were wrong about Aquinas. Somewhat right about the earliest manuscript of Matthew. Wrong about the authorship of Matthew. Wrong about my views on who goes to hell. Wrong about the significance of the NT time gap. Wrong about the use of "perish" in John 3:16. You have arguments that cannot be supported. Give it up.

I'm comfortable letting MAN'S law deal with the dufus.
    Tal, you are the one who brought up the question about Trump going to hell, not me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hillary Clinton has Parkinson's Disease [ 118 Answers ]

Do you think Hillary's run for the presidency is effectively over, based on her health? This link makes it appear it should be: Sick Hillary Coverup Is Imploding » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

President Hillary and First Husband Billy Bob Clinton. [ 9 Answers ]

Socialism From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Socialism refers to a broad array of doctrines or political movements that envisage a socio-economic system in which property and the distribution of wealth are subject to control by the community for the purposes of increasing social and economic...

Hillary clinton ? [ 4 Answers ]

How I can complain to my senator about..?

Hillary Rodham Clinton [ 45 Answers ]

6399 This thread is hereby established as a place to post POSITIVE attributes that apply to this canadate. Things that you find about this canadate that are positive. Due to all the negative press and mudslinging, having a place to come to post and read positive issues that apply to...

Hillary Clinton votes for WAR with the Iranians now? [ 5 Answers ]

Hilary Clinton wants to go to war with Iran? I thought she was against war? YouTube - Hillary Clinton Believes War With Iran Would Be Funny And why is she saying that every Republican supports the current War on Iraq? YouTube - * HILLARY CLINTON FLAT OUT LIES AT THE JUNE 3RD CNN DEBATE *

View more questions Search