Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2019, 08:23 AM
    The Unjust Steward
    I've been asked to do more "parable challenges." I didn't realize that's what I was doing, but okay, here's another one. Luke 16, first story.

The man's boss fires him because he heard the man was doing bad things. The man says, what'll I do? This is all I know how to do.

He goes to the boss' debtors and tells them, mark down the amount you owe my former boss.

The boss praises him for doing this.

My question: huh?????????????????????
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 4, 2019, 08:57 AM
    Yay!! A new parable challenge!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2019, 02:57 PM
    The basic concept I gather here, is to deal well with money and the things of the world; these things are the virtues that hold true through eternity. How can God trust you with heavenly riches if you cannot deal with earthly riches honestly and shrewdly.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2019, 07:52 PM
    I don't know what this parable means. I've been reading many interpretations of it and I'm no wiser. The interpretations run the gamut from alpha to omega. (smile)

I DO relate to "Man cannot serve God and mammon". Mammon represents all the material things of this world, some amount of which are necessary but when we acquire, and desire to acquire, a superfluity of them, they become a danger to our authentic self. This is an excellent philosophy, expressed in many ways in many cultures. But I don't see how the story is essentially about that idea.

However, reading on, I came across this fascinating anecdote. Julian the Apostate used this parable to assert the inferiority of the Christian Church and its founder. Apparently, this parable has befuddled scholars for ages trying to discern its meaning.

Jesus gave us a beauty with this one!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 5, 2019, 03:56 AM
    The rich guy sure wasn't worried about the poor sick guy outside his gate when he had a chance to, so he went to hell. Seems simple enough.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2019, 08:22 AM
    Uh, that was a different thread...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2019, 08:26 AM
    At this point in history the Pharisees were aligned with the Saddeucees and were will acquainted with the ruling class. Matthew 23 tells us to follow their instruction but not to follow their example as they were corrupt in their dealings.

Luke 16:14 describes the Pharisees as lovers of money, I'm sure this parable struck at the sins within their hearts. They were often displeased with His teachings as they were aimed at debunking the common law and legalism they taught.

Do not use your wealth not to prop up yourself, and your status, but to prop up others.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2019, 08:27 AM
    Forgive my confusion and simple mind.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2019, 08:17 AM
    I think we've all been there.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2019, 09:42 AM
    I'm untangling this. Stay tuned!
    Expert

Oct 6, 2019, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    I think we've all been there.

Some more than others, LOL. I think the whole point of the parable in question though, was serviing two masters, specifically money and the conscious. The manager chose to please the boss for fear of loss of wages, rather than rise to the spiritual challenge of testing himself. To this day bosses use the fear of a lost job to motivate those they employ, I guess that's just what bosses do, and always done, and he was commended for his shrewdness, but the parable ends in the things men value and pursue (MONEY?) is despised by God, so is pleasing the boss through fear, not displeasing God?

The example of Jesus wandering through the wilderness comes to mind as an example of challenging ones self to better ones self as opposed to taking the path of least resistance.
    What would I know as I'm neither religious scholar, nor even a Christian, but debating the words of ancient man is fascinating and much can be LEARNED by simple minds like me, and I have followed the religious discussions and gained many insights from this learned group.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2019, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm untangling this. Stay tuned!

Staying........................................... ............. Tuned............................................. ............

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Forgive my confusion and simple mind.

You're forgiven.

Say three Hail Marys and make a good act of contrition. Absolvo te, in nomine Patrus, et Filii , et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501 CIU steward [ 2 Answers ]

Can the chairman of a ciu club also be the steward

Unjust judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a chap 13 for 5 months when I was sued. My atty filed a suggestion of bankruptcy & notified his atty. His atty still filed for a summary judgement but was stayed. His atty called the trustee to challenge my confirmation saying I will have a judgement soon and won't be able to afford plan...

Bobby labonte hyper drive... tont steward track pass [ 0 Answers ]

Bobby labonte eclipse 2005 press pass hd 2/9 nascar card worth,, how much is card worth... tony steward nextel cup series press pass stealth 2006 hot pass valid id hot pass track access worth

Unjust Judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I would like to see if I can get some sort of advice before (if needed) getting a lawyer. This is the case. As an employee to a company I got sued for like 350 bucks that neither the company or myself should have paid to this out of the blue publication for some sort of...

View more questions Search