Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jmcgrory Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2019, 03:46 PM
    Liens on contractor
    How to put a lien on a contractor for work not completed correctly?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019, 05:17 AM
    If you're the property owner, the usual procedure is to withhold final payment until the terms of the contact are complete, or to hire another contractor to finish the work and deduct that cost from the final payment. There are notification requirements and what not for this procedure based on state and sometimes city laws.

If you are a subcontractor, you may be able to file a lein against the contactor, however it is variable by state.

Some states require a written contact or 90 day limitations or even for you to file against the property owner.

The general procedure is to submit a non-payment to the local circuit court or recorders' office. Period for contest, judgement, and then lein processing.

What state and/or city are you looking to file? Can you provide further details of your issue?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanics liens and liens against property [ 3 Answers ]

I lent my son in law $10,000 to put down payment on a home about a year and a half ago My question is how do I put a lien on the house and which state do I do it in . I'm in Calif. And the house is isn't Arizona. And do I just record it with the county or court or what?

Contractor's Liens [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased an investment property. At the time of closing, there were 2 liens, since the builder had not paid his suppliers. Both were settled by the Closing Company from the proceeds of the loan. However, my question now is this - What if the builder does not pay the rest of his...

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

Quiet Titles, Mechanic's liens, bad contractor. [ 1 Answers ]

Background info - We built our house in the summer/fall of 2005. We moved in on November 4th of that year. Our builder, who we now know to be a con artist, went over by $40,000 but we only had a verbal contract with him and it was a cost-plus loan. His father in law was the lender for the...

Liens [ 7 Answers ]

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house?

View more questions Search