Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scout94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2019, 02:47 PM
    Open span in back of garage
    I want to put "Barn Door" like sliders in back of garage. My open span is 11'-4". I want to use a 4x12x12 (either 2, 2x4x12 with a 1/2 ply sandwich, or a real 4x), as a header. Is this sound ok, with no support pillar/column anywhere in the middle? The garage is 26 ft wide, and I will be using 4x4 or 4x6 as column/pillar support. I know to check "county code". But this is a rural area, pro "common sense ", not pro government. I want to support my garage, and not loose it to heavy snow in North-Eastern Washington State.

Thank you all, for your time.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019, 02:50 AM
    I would use (4) 2x12s to prevent serious sag issues over time, and 2 jack studs on the ends. Code is Paramount, but I've lived in some let be areas. Attached is a table showing general guidelines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door won't open [ 1 Answers ]

The door will open, but only if I help it along.. If not it makes a terrible noise, and just sits there . Like it's stripped. But if I unhook the door, the bracket goes up and down, just fine. The weight of the door, seems to be to heavy all of a suden.

What type a bean do I need to support 30 open foot span [ 0 Answers ]

My shop has outgrown it's spray booth (protective coatings) and I need to build a new one. The booth will be approx 12 high, 23 deep and 30 side to side (i.e. opening) and needs to be a clear span, devoid of supports as well as no supports within the structure.. In an area approx 10x3 at the...

Light on Craftsman Garage Door Open will not turn OFF, when Open. [ 8 Answers ]

I purchase a new Craftsmang ½ hp Garage Door Open and found out in the Problem Section that if I have the door open and cross the safety sensor beams the light will turn ON automaticlly. I hate this feature because my kids constatnly run in and out of the garage door when it is open, so the light...

Garage door open by itself [ 11 Answers ]

Dear expert: Recently my garage door has some problem. Sometimes after I pressed the remote to close the garage door, it opened again by itself. I tried to buy another new remote control, but it happened again. But this would not happen if I used the wall-mount unit. Does anyone have any idea...

Garage Door Won't Open [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I'm locked out of my garage. My remote is in my car inside the garage, and my code will not work on the keypad. It was working yesterday but it just stopped today. I have changed the battery, and tried resetting a temporary password. These things do not wok. It is a Craftsman model...

View more questions Search