Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingishwriter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2019, 11:50 AM
    Looking for books on 70s culture and era/geographic specific attitude to abortion
    This is actually a 2 prong question although the title could be perceived a couple of ways. In short, I am writing a book that takes place in Georgia, USA in the 70s and I have a very small anecdotal moment in the book regarding abortion and I was curious what the culture was like in 1973. I know that is the year of Roe V Wade and that the South is the bible belt but my character is semi hippy-ish so would have stepped outside of norms but also had respect for her parents and the way the community may have viewed them. I am wondering, considering that description what options a woman would have had in the South in the seventies for an abortion. This person would have been in Macon geographically and 17.

Also, since my book, is taking place in an era that I only know through cellulose and I need a book that discusses the social aspects of southern society in the 70s specifically regarding the hippy movement as it related to any clashing with religious communities (I know that this is very specific). This is the greater aspect of my research and I don't know the best directions to go to create a realistic depiction of a 70s era individual considering all different socio-economic and demographic specific sects. Last, linguistically speaking, again I have movies and the internet to go off of and I don't want my characters to sound like cliches...Can someone give me a resource or book to look into for the era's vernacular.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2019, 01:05 PM
    Call or visit a larger public library in your area to ask this question at the reference desk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ideal culture vs. Real culture [ 5 Answers ]

How does ideal culture differ from real culture in U.S. society from other countries?

National Geographic [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently come across 519 issues dating from the current back to 1952 national geographic magazines. I am looking to sell them on eBay and currently there is only one issue missing. I am wondering how much to start bidding at. I have looked on eBay and for something similar but not in as good...

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counter culture in referen [ 1 Answers ]

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counterculture in reference to the 1960s, was there one counter culture or were there may different counter cultures, what were the characteristics of the counter movements, was there a straightforward distinction between mainstream culture...

View more questions Search