Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2019, 07:46 AM
    The Older Brother
    My current trip through the Greek New Testament has me in luke 15, the Prodigal Son story. At least one scholar calls it the Parable of the Older Brother because he thinks that's the main focus of the story. In any case, the wayward son comes back. His father throws the party to end all parties.
    The older brother hears from the field and comes to find out what's going on. When he learns about his brother, he throws a hissy fit.
    My question: why didn't he already know? Why didn't his father call him from the field the instant he saw his other son? Why was he left in the dark and had to go around asking somebody what was going on?
    I mean, I know it ruins the story if he does, but besides that...
    Thoughts?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2019, 09:45 AM
    This isn't my own answer, but an interesting explanation I've never heard, involving legalism:

http://micahcobb.com/blog/the-older-...-prodigal-son/
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2019, 07:03 PM
    I think it's a simple comparison of the state of mind of the Pharisees with that of Christ.

The party is in heaven, thus not here before us, and when the Pharisees complain about Christ sitting with sinners He gives them this along with the coins and sheep.

It's not as if knowing about the party that mattered, the party should be expected in any case, the issue is the anger derived. It shows a misunderstanding of the character of the father.

The jealousy is unwarranted. If I have given you a kingdom and you toiled to make it wonderful, and then I gave another man a party for simply joining this kingdom, would it be justified to be jealous? Whether or not you were invited?

After a sufficient time, that son would be invited to all the parties. After his toil here is complete he would have sat at the right hand of God and celebrated with the angels at the salvation of sinners.

This parallels the other rebukes of the Pharisees, they always sought their reward now, sought praise for their good works.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2019, 08:38 AM
    I like infojunkie's take.

It's a bit deeper than the usual take, but not SO deep as to get lost in analyzing the parable. Anyway, I never thought of it as Christ explaining (again!) the Kingdom of Heaven, although I should have. I thought of it as life here-and-now, so to speak. When you think of it the way infojunkie said - and probably how Jesus intended - it resonates more profoundly.

I'm probably revealing my shallowness with my comment, but it feels good to gain a new insight into the Gospel. Funny how rereading the Gospels seems to offer never-ending insights into important meanings.

Good post, DW.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2019, 08:47 AM
    And infojunkie's untangling of the story answers my friend's anger as to how lifelong sinners make it into heaven ("the welcome home party") with a last-minute death-bed confession while the lifelong Christian gets ignored.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019, 09:07 AM
    I too like infojunkie's analysis, and it gives me lots of good insights I didn't have before. My only question about it is, it assumes the older brother knew about his brother's return and the party. If he was working off in a field I'm not sure how he would know unless his father sent a messenger to tell him. In what we have of the story at least, that doesn't seem to have been the case. The way Jesus tells it, the older brother just came in from work and saw what was happening. When he asked, someone explained to him that his brother had come back. If the party was in full swing, it seems to me (I emphasize that part) that someone should have told him already. I'm wondering why they didn't.

Thanks for all the great responses!
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2019, 07:37 AM
    And WG, as for your friend's question about deathbed conversions, I think ClassyT could answer that one as well as I can: Grace.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2019, 04:29 AM
    If we're to continue the analogy, it is not that someone should have told him that the party was happening, for he is close by and should have known, he should not have been surprised that there was a party on the occasion of the brother's return.

The character of the father is being called into question. At the beginning of Luke 15 the Pharisees were grumbling saying look at this man (whom they wouldn't have even noticed except that he was being recognized as a great teacher) he sits with the drunkards and tax collectors. These are the people who most wouldn't even talk to because it would seem as if they were consorting with them, partaking of the same sins.

This character should be known. Given the great scriptural knowledge of the Pharisees (or the intamacy of a son in the parable), they would be aware of such character, or maybe they just never really paid attention to the mercy of the father.

The entire Old Testament is the same story repeated of the Jews rejecting God for the worship of idols and the exuberant lifestyles. Only to be opressed by some foreigner or another in their weakened and Godless state, then crying out to God and being saved from absolute anhilation. God shows mercy on the righteous and repentant. Deuteronomy 30 is a great example.

There are stories throughout the Old Testament where where God is merciful and taking delight is the righteousness of man.

Job 33:26He shall pray to God, and He will delight in him,
    He shall see His face with joy,
    For He restores to man His righteousness.

Psalms 86:5For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive,
    And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You.

Jeremiah 31:3-4The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying:
    “Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love;
    Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.
    Again I will build you, and you shall be rebuilt,
    O virgin of Israel!
    You shall again be adorned with your tambourines,
    And shall go forth in the dances of those who rejoice.

Furthermore I like how Darby expounds on this aspect

"The servants are ordered to bring the best robe and put it on him. Thus loved, and received by love, in our wretchedness, we are clothed with Christ to enter the house. We do not bring the robe: God supplies us with it. It is an entirely new thing; and we become the righteousness of God in Him. This is heaven's best robe. All the rest have part in the joy, except the self righteous man, the true Jew. The joy is the joy of the father, but all the house shares it. The elder son is not in the house. He is near it, but he will not come in. He will have nothing to do with the grace that makes the poor prodigal the subject of the joy of love."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 23, 2019, 09:29 AM
    from Darby: "...The elder son is not in the house. He is near it, but he will not come in. He will have nothing to do with the grace that makes the poor prodigal the subject of the joy of love."
    The elder son was away, out in the field. He didn't know his younger brother had returned. Darby is incorrect.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2019, 10:08 AM
    Luke 15

25 “Now his older son was in the field. And as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and because he has received him safe and sound, your father has killed the fatted calf.’

28 “But he was angry and would not go in. Therefore his father came out and pleaded with him. 29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. 30 But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.’

31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. 32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’ ”
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 23, 2019, 10:55 AM
    Excellent, infojunkie! (Note to WG: Reread the parable more carefully.)

Plus, the father reassured the older son in verse 31, “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours."
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2019, 07:22 AM
    25 “Now his older son was in the field. And as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant.

The older brother got angry and wouldn't go in, but not until after he found out what was going on. He had to come back to the house and ask a servant what all the hoopla was.

That's the question.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2020, 11:17 AM
    ..Who knows? The Father was so very happy to have his son home he started getting ready to party. He knew the elder son would be back to enjoy the festivities. OR perhaps the Father was very much aware of how unhappy the elder son was going to be. After all, he worked and toiled for his Father and was the "good" son. The spirit of a Pharisee is very obvious and not fun to deal with. Maybe he didn't want his JOY ruined. The point is.....when the elder son DID come in from the field and saw all the wonderful grace the Father was showering on the younger brother...he was given a choice. Come in and enjoy because all things were his as well. Or be resentful and mad because he believed a son must follow the rules and work for his Father's love. I think the entire story is all about the FATHER...the lavish Father and obviously, Jesus told the story to make the Pharisee's understand it isn't about working and following rules in order to receive the Father's love. We never find out if the son went in or not. He was given TRUTH and it was up to him to take is or walk away. Just like the ones he was trying to reach the day he told the parable.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2020, 01:13 PM
    Chad Bird's take on this:

"The older brother thought erroneously that he and his younger brother were competing for their father's affections. He assumed that he deserved more of it. It seemed to him that his dad was playing favorites and giving away all his love to his brother. But the father reminded him that each child, while fully beloved, is loved differently. And even in that mild rebuke, the father was loving his oldest son toward a greater clarity of what love is and does."
    From https://www.1517.org/articles/god-do...ryone-the-same
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 7, 2020, 06:39 PM
    Good post and interesting thoughts. I heard someone from the Ravi Zacharias group (don't recall his name) talk about that parable. He said that as Jesus described the initial action of the younger son in asking for his inheritance and the final action of the older son in refusing t come in, it would have been shocking to the Jews of that day to hear of sons disobeying and disrepecting their father. I have also thought about the younger son's confession that he was no longer "worthy" to be his son. It is, I believe, the key to the presence of God. "I am not worthy. I am completely dependent on your mercy and lovingkindness." The older son never understood that. As Psalm 51 says, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2020, 09:41 AM
    Interesting, but I don't personally believe the younger son actually thought he was no longer "worthy". The younger son was just starving....it never says he felt unworthy, or that he even felt bad about his sins. What the bible records is he was starving so he started thinking his father had bread enough and to spare. Therefore he rehearsed something to tell his Father so he could go back and eat even if he was merely a servant. To ME this is why the parable is so amazing...all the Father cared about is that his son came home. Do I think the younger son eventually did repent? Oh yeah, but in my view that didn't happen until his Father lavished him with GRACE. See? Its the goodness of God that causes us to repent. That's my thoughts.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2020, 11:16 AM
    His statement was that he was not worthy. That was the conclusion he arrived at in the story. As to what he was thinking, it was a parable, and he is a fictional character, so that is speculative. At any rate, God loves us and moves to rescue and bless us, not because we are worthy, but because He is love, and thank God for that. Romans 3 makes it clear that we are not good nor worthy. I certainly agree with you that it is His goodness that moves us to repentance, and that His grace is indeed a wonderful and amazing thing.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2020, 02:40 PM
    True! But his motivation was his tummy. That is how I read it, anyway.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2020, 02:46 PM
    It can sure be a powerful wake-up call!
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2020, 06:59 AM
    It seems to have been a tad more than his stomach, since the text says he "came to his senses" and made his decision.
    Still, it's true that hunger is a powerful motivator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Younger brother runs through sliding glass doors while older brother watches [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this on TV a few months ago, started with a bunch of parents are having a house party, which takes place in the 60's . There are two younger boys who live at the house and they are running all over the place having fun. Parents tell them time for bed. Then I remember seeing the two...

Older brother that cares. [ 4 Answers ]

There is no category to show sibling questions so here I am. Hi, I have an ongoing situation within my family that I wish to cease. My two youngest brothers yell and scream at my mother at every chance, they berate and physically intimidate her & they have stolen off me for years. My mum is a...

I'm looking for my older brother and sisters. [ 3 Answers ]

The last time I saw Naomi, Caroline and Mani was at my fathers funeral, 20 years ago. I do think about them a lot especially now I'm older. I don't understand why they never stayed in touch, Naomi promised me she would stay in touch but never did. We had the same father but different Mum's....

View more questions Search