Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

May 7, 2021, 03:25 PM
    Could it be, that Joseph was Jesus Father???
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2021, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    Nope. God was Jesus' father. Mary was a virgin when she got pregnant with Jesus.

May 7, 2021, 03:40 PM
    Nope.
    Sorry, you are in error (Has to do with adoption- you don't want to understand). No use in trying to explain it to you. As they say, "you can't teach an old Lady knew tricks.

Why do you think King David Was a man after God's own heart, why did he love God's Law with such zeal and admiration? Since heaven and earth continue to exist, the law remains unchanged and will continue to be in effect.
    We are to have a relationship With Jesus, we are to Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength/
    It's as if we can't have a relationship with GOD, our relationship is with Jesus. Yes, I get that...Jesus is GOD ;-)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2021, 03:49 PM
    Sorry, you are in error (Has to do with adoption- you don't want to understand).
    Joseph was not Jesus' natural father. Yes, Joseph "adopted" Jesus and was His earthly father.

Why do you think King David Was a man after God's own heart, why did he love God's Law with such zeal and admiration? Since heaven and earth continue to exist, the law remains unchanged and will continue to be in effect.
    We are to have a relationship With Jesus, we are to Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength/
    It's as if we can't have a relationship with GOD, our relationship is with Jesus. Yes, I get that...Jesus is GOD ;-)
    I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make.

May 7, 2021, 03:54 PM
    Look at adoption in the eyes of a Jewish family. UNDERSTANDING OUR ADOPTION. The importance of adoption “The notion that we are children of God, His own sons and daughters… is the mainspring of Christian living… Our sonship to God is the apex of Creation and the goal of redemption.”

Simple yes or no question? You feel the need to have them understand the Trinity, same as you 'might' understand it (why can't you let it go)?.
    All they need to understand is that God loves them and forgives them because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.
    Then why do you even try to explain the Trinity (something you yourself can't understand- certainly can't explain it!).
    Every time somebody tries to speak Jesus, the "Man", you continually interject- "Trinity, TRINITY, Hey guys, You can't forget the Trinity,- Jesus is not a man he is GOD!" You might want to think about this. When somebody tells you that Jesus is The Son of GOD, not God(all true...true to them), just let it go...that's understanding the Trinity (believing Jesus is "The man", the main man of God). Says something about why God had to bring Paul back home, many people would have become followers of Paul.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 7, 2021, 05:25 PM
    Sorry, you are in error (Has to do with adoption- you don't want to understand). No use in trying to explain it to you. As they say, "you can't teach an old Lady knew tricks.
    Not real sure where you're trying to go with this one, Walter. WG is entirely correct in her response.

30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
    34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
    35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

May 7, 2021, 05:57 PM
    Joseph's linage: that of King David...Not Adam.
    Adopted Son...Joseph was a father none the less.

Then why do you even try to explain the Trinity (something you yourself can't understand- certainly can't explain it!).
    Every time somebody tries to speak Jesus, the "Man", you continually interject- "Trinity, TRINITY, Hey guys, You can't forget the Trinity,- Jesus is not a man he is GOD!" You might want to think about this. When somebody tells you that Jesus is The Son of GOD, not God(all true...true to them), just let it go...that's understanding the Trinity (believing Jesus is "The man", the main man of God)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2021, 06:01 PM
    Adopted Son...Joseph was a father none the less.
    Why is this such a huge concern for you?

May 7, 2021, 06:05 PM
    Joseph was a father none the less.
    UNDERSTANDING OUR ADOPTION. The importance of adoption
    Why is this such a huge concern for you?
    That of King David...Not Adam.

Every time somebody tries to speak Jesus, the "Man", you continually interject- "Trinity, TRINITY, Hey guys, You can't forget the Trinity,- Jesus is not a man he is GOD!" You might want to think about this. When somebody tells you that Jesus is The Son of GOD, not God(all true...true to them), just let it go...that's understanding the Trinity (believing Jesus is "The man", the main man of God)
    Why is this such a huge concern for you? Jesus Is 100% man. Get it? You won't.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2021, 06:16 PM
    UNDERSTANDING OUR ADOPTION. The importance of adoption

That of King David...Not Adam.
    As I said before, "Luke, a doctor, connects Jesus’ humanity all the way back to the first man, Adam."

The Genealogy of Jesus, Luke 3

23 Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli, 24 the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melki, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph, 25 the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai, 26 the son of Maath, the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein, the son of Josek, the son of Joda, 27 the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri, 28 the son of Melki, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmadam, the son of Er, 29 the son of Joshua, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, 30 the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim, 31 the son of Melea, the son of Menna, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David, 32 the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon,[4] the son of Nahshon, 33 the son of Amminadab, the son of Ram,[5]the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah, 34 the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor, 35 the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah, 36 the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech, 37 the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel, the son of Kenan, 38 the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Jesus Is 100% man. Get it? You won't.
    Are you saying Jesus is not God, that he was Joseph's son?

May 7, 2021, 06:25 PM
    For human understanding, He was 100% man AND 100% God when he was here on earth.
    Can a person come to know Jesus, as King and savior of the World, 'the Man'? Knowing GOD, while not understanding the Trinity?
    Of course!
    So there you have it. Jesus is 100% man, only knowing the Man Jesus...you said it.
    Every time somebody tries to speak Jesus, the "Man", you continually interject- "Trinity, TRINITY
    I'd say you have the 100% God down. you're not taking into consideration the 100% man.
    The importance of adoption
    Our fathers are reversed. God is our father just the same as Joseph was Jesus Father.
    God came down to Earth, Jesus ascended into heaven. Your fallacy is the fact that you have an immediate desire to speak of Jesus the GOD, every time Jesus the Man is mentioned. There is no real need, Specially when somebody believes in Jesus as only a Man, savior King. What Forces you to understand solely on the fact that Jesus is GOD?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2021, 06:31 PM
    So there you have it. Jesus is 100% man, only knowing the Man Jesus...you said it.
    I'd say you have the 100% God down. your not taking into consideration the 100% man.
    On earth, Jesus was 100% man and 100% God. In heaven, Jesus is 100% man and 100% God.

May 7, 2021, 06:48 PM
    He was the son, (so it was thought,) of Joseph
    That was put in, He was the son of Joseph, and It will tell you that in any translation. The importance of adoption “The notion that we are children of God, His own sons and daughters…Our sonship to God is the apex of Creation. There is meaning in Joseph being his Father, Much the same way God being our Father.
    Why is this such a huge concern for you
    UNDERSTANDING OUR ADOPTION. I'm thinking the story of Ruth (kinsman redeemer etc.) , but We don't need to go into that right now.

He was 100% man AND 100% God
    200%? that's the same as saying they are both 50-50. If you can't understand that Jesus is 100% GOD while retaining 100% man at the same time. If you are able to agree (clearly not you) with somebody who believes Jesus is 100% man, Singly, you will understand the Trinity. If you don't Believe Jesus Is 100% man, (not GOD,- he became Sin) you are taking away from the Sacrifice GOD has made.
    We are to have a relationship With Jesus, but, we are to Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength/ It's as if we can't have a relationship with GOD (hmm, wonder why), our relationship is with Jesus. Yes, I get that...Jesus is GOD ;-)
    All started when I said; He doesn't tell us to have a relationship with him, God tells us to love him. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. We see in "that book" that we show love for God by obeying his commands. "If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Trying to explain something that I see, doing it on the fly is no good.

I didn't have time to go into detail right now. Maybe "later." But I don't think it will happen. You are locked into your own understanding...same as the rest of us.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2021, 07:58 PM
    waltero wrote:

[He was the son, (so it was thought,) of Joseph]
    That was put in,
    Hold on, pardner. You're gonna have to justify that statement, because there is no evidence to back it up. There are no variants in the manuscript tradition and to my knowledge, no scholar has ever questioned it.

Evidence, please?

Joseph didn't "adopt" anybody. There was no ceremony, no documents, no agreement, nothing. As it says, he let people assume he was Jesus' father, and that he and Mary just got a little carried away too early. It wasn't a crime, or even a shame. It was a little embarrassing, nothing more.

I really wonder where you're getting this stuff, because your sources are terrible.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2021, 10:23 AM
    [He was the son, (so it was thought,) of Joseph]
    Hold on, pardner. You're gonna have to justify that statement, because there is no evidence to back it up. There are no variants in the manuscript tradition and to my knowledge, no scholar has ever questioned it.
    I'm glad you asked that. I saw it myself but I guess it just didn't register enough. It's a strange comment.

WalterO has not posted recently so I don't know if he is still active here.

Jun 7, 2021, 04:14 PM
    [LUKE] Mary’s genealogy; not Joseph’s. And by the way, when verse 23 says that Joseph was the son of Heli, the words, ‘son of’ are not there in the Greek. They should be italicized in your Bible, unless you have the NIV, which shows that they were added by the translators, but they are not really in the Greek.

So, Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, which in this genealogy means that Jesus was the supposed son of Joseph, not biologically, but legally.

If you don't Believe Jesus Is 100% man you Diminish the Sacrifice GOD has made. Christ had to be fully human in order to die, pay for our sins, and redeem us. Jesus is Man/Jesus is God- one need not dilute the other. Example: Jesus is 100 man...Always to be followed by (somebody who lacks understanding); And...And He is 100% God. Overemphasize one over the other?
    The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
    Royal lineage was always passed down through the father.

There were some in Luke’s day who believed the salvation was only for the Jews.But here in Luke 3, the genealogy goes all the way back to Adam the father of all, rather than just back to Abraham, the father of the Jews. Jesus came for Jews and Gentiles alike (cf. Luke 2:32). We see at the end of the genealogy that in Adam, mankind had a beginning, through the creation of God. But in Jesus Christ, we have a new beginning, through the re-creation and regeneration of God.

Are both true of you? Are you related to God, not only physically, but also spiritually?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2021, 04:39 PM
    If you don't Believe Jesus Is 100% man you Diminish the Sacrifice GOD has made.
    Royal lineage was always passed down through the father.
    And He is 100% God. Fully man and fully God.

Col. 2:9, For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily.

More verses listed in:
    https://www.openbible.info/topics/je..._man_fully_god

(To JL, my contribution of proof passages and cherrypicking galore!)
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2021, 04:06 PM
    (To JL, my contribution of proof passages and cherrypicking galore!)
    Proof passages are not even close to being the same concept as cherry-picking. I think I understand your problem now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2021, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Proof passages are not even close to being the same concept as cherry-picking. I think I understand your problem now.
    One desperately searches for and chooses ("cherrypicks") proof passages. The two terms are not synonymous. One is a verb and one is a plural noun that has an adjective.

Yes, I totally understand your need. I lived in that world for many years.

Jun 11, 2021, 05:08 PM
    And He is 100%, God. Fully man and fully God.
    @Wondergirl:
    Aren't you missing something? The Son of man has been mentioned how many times?
    You're speaking as if - GOD sacrifice Himself to Himself.

The fact that you (continually...every time "the Son of Man" is mentioned) Overemphasize one over the other...You miss the connection entirely.

@dwashbur:
    He was the son, (so it was thought,) of Joseph
    Hold on, pardner. You're gonna have to justify that statement
    Luke is giving the Lineage of Mary.
    Joseph didn't "adopt" anybody.
    Joseph was the legal father of Jesus. If you don't believe it, look in the book of Ruth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Younger brother runs through sliding glass doors while older brother watches [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this on TV a few months ago, started with a bunch of parents are having a house party, which takes place in the 60's . There are two younger boys who live at the house and they are running all over the place having fun. Parents tell them time for bed. Then I remember seeing the two...

Older brother that cares. [ 4 Answers ]

There is no category to show sibling questions so here I am. Hi, I have an ongoing situation within my family that I wish to cease. My two youngest brothers yell and scream at my mother at every chance, they berate and physically intimidate her & they have stolen off me for years. My mum is a...

I'm looking for my older brother and sisters. [ 3 Answers ]

The last time I saw Naomi, Caroline and Mani was at my fathers funeral, 20 years ago. I do think about them a lot especially now I'm older. I don't understand why they never stayed in touch, Naomi promised me she would stay in touch but never did. We had the same father but different Mum's....

View more questions Search